Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 03:57 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,078,581 times

Advertisements

According to the last study, Cuban-Americans born in the US have higher Income than Anglos.
And I don't know why all that jealosy, Cubans don't belong to your "Caribbean Club" AT ALL.
They don't consider themselves in the same group you have created.
There's almost no affinity between Cubans and inhabitants of other hispanic islands, and even less affinity, or no affinity whatsoever with the inhabitants of non-English speaking islands.
Sure, there are Cubans that are working very hard, because they are arriving constantly, every day, and they arrive pennyless and from they they climb to middle class.
But again, I don't know whay all that jealosy, Cubans don't belong to your group otherwise that for a distant geographic prescription. For any Cuban, anybody for West Indies is as strange as somebody from another galaxy. Stop including them in your group because of the mere geographical fact that they are from the biggest island of the Caribbean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 04:00 AM

U.S. Census Bureau: Facts about Cuban-Americans

Cuban-Americans have acquired an enormous amount of wealth and prosperity in an extremely short period of time; no other immigrant group has achieved this as quickly as the Cubans. Many immigrants have never achieved it at all, despite being in this country far longer than Cubans.
Second-generation Cuban-Americans were more educated than even Anglo-Americans. More than 26.1% of second-generation Cuban-Americans had a bachelor's degree or better versus 20.6% of Anglos. Thus Cuban-Americans in 1997 were approximately 25% more likely to have a college degree than Anglos. Other Hispanic groups lag far behind. Only 8.1% of South Americans had a bachelor's or better. Puerto Ricans, despite being U.S. citizens by birth, recorded a disappointing 11%; Mexicans only 7%. In 1997, 55.1% of second-generation Cuban-Americans had an income greater than $30,000 versus 44.1% of Anglo- Americans.
Thus Cuban-Americans are approximately 20% more likely to earn more than $30,000 than their Anglo-American counterparts. All other Hispanic groups lag far behind in average income. In 1997, 36.9% of second-generation Cuban-Americans had an income greater than $50,000 versus 18.1% of Anglo- Americans. Cuban-Americans were twice as likely to earn more than $50,000. Also, approximately 11% of Cuban-Americans had incomes greater than $100,000 versus 9% of Anglo-Americans, and less than 2% of other Hispanics.
Cubans comprise less than 4% of the U.S. Hispanic population, Mexicans 65%, Puerto Ricans 10%, Central and South Americans 11%, and "others" Yet of the top 100 richest Hispanics in the U.S., more than 50% are of Cuban descent (ten times what it should be on a population basis), and 38% of Mexican descent. The rest is scattered among all other Hispanic groups.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:58 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Thank god for the link that caribny posted. People here talking about Haitians being poor yet their average income is higher than Cubans? I hate when people talk with no facts but use one place as a source and think it runs true for the whole nation.
Upper class cubans have a lot of political clout so it's an image thing but yeah there are a lot of lower income Cubans. There are many Haitians/Haitian-americans that are doing well but they are just going about their business and not really getting into politics much.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
According to the last study, Cuban-Americans born in the US have higher Income than Anglos.
And I don't know why all that jealosy, Cubans don't belong to your "Caribbean Club" AT ALL.
There's almost no affinity between Cubans and inhabitants of other hispanic islands, and even less affinity, or no affinity whatsoever with the inhabitants of non-English speaking islands.
Sure, there are Cubans that are working very hard, because they are arriving constantly, every day, and they arrive pennyless and from they they climb to middle class.
But again, I don't know whay all that jealosy, Cubans don't belong to your group otherwise that for a distant geographic prescription. For any Cuban, anybody for West Indies is as strange as somebody from another galaxy. Stop including them in your group because of the mere geographical fact that they are from the biggest island of the Caribbean.
Cubans can be a bit isolationist. Almost every group has some of that but I find Cubans are moreso that way.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:03 AM

U.S Census is image?
Od course there are lower income Cubans, they arrive everyday.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
U.S Census is image?
Od course there are lower income Cubans, they arrive everyday.
I was referring to the perception that the average cuban is higher income than average Haitian. Cubans/Cuban-Americans are a more visible group because they have more political power and clout therefore they are automatically perceived as being higher income and more successful.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:31 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Quote:
I'm confused. Are you defending Cubans or Hispanics. The Cubans path to America isn't really the same as other Hispanic groups.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:44 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
U.S. Census Bureau: Facts about Cuban-Americans

Thus Cuban-Americans in 1997 groups.

Cubans are on par with blacks from the English speaking Caribbean, despite being on control of Miami, and not having barriers of race to contend with. Oh yes there are the Cuban elites. 26% of US born Cubans with college degrees you say. Well how about the 74% of those without college degrees, and the even higher numbers in this category in the immigrant generation?

In Miami in 2000 30% of the Jamaicans hadn't completed high school, vs. 42% of the non black Cubans. 14% had completed 4 year college vs. 18% of the non black Cubans. 14% of the Jamaicans were poor, as were 18% of the non black Cubans.

So I really don't see your boast about not "being part of the Caribbean club". Well Cuba IS part of the Caribbean, has a Caribbean culture, and faces many of the problems faced by Caribbean immigrants.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:47 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
I'm confused. Are you defending Cubans or Hispanics. The Cubans path to America isn't really the same as other Hispanic groups.

No he is having a meltdown because, like many Cuban exiles, he can't bear the fact that Cuban Americans are now not much better off than are black Caribbean immigrants. That they are mainly struggling lower middle class people.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I was referring to the perception that the average cuban is higher income than average Haitian. Cubans/Cuban-Americans are a more visible group because they have more political power and clout therefore they are automatically perceived as being higher income and more successful.

Again, I'm talking about data issued by the US Census Bureau. Political power and clout, yo do need a LOT OF MONEY for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas