Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 10:52 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_miami View Post
I agree partially with each.

Really hate how people here prioritize samba, soccer and churches either than what they actually need. I'll be creating a massive thread on those topics and exposing what actually happens in here that foreigners are not aware of.

Please do

Old 07-08-2013, 11:53 AM

3,983 posts, read 6,793,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_miami View Post
I agree partially with each.

Really hate how people here prioritize samba, soccer and churches either than what they actually need. I'll be creating a massive thread on those topics and exposing what actually happens in here that foreigners are not aware of.

Please do it.

I will be very glad to REFUTE all of your bigoted "half-truths"...

Old 07-09-2013, 09:01 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Beautiful women dancing to nice music isn't a positive image? Brazil isn't a conservative country. It's a progressive one.
It is not really about being conservative, it's about promoting women only as sexual objects that it's hurtful to some people.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,551 times
as an African American female I know some people judge black women pretty harshly and say a lot of things that are untrue for some of us. Some women prostitute and some don't. Women of all races can be prostitutes and for that matter, some men are also. Entertainment in Brazil is just meant to be fun, if people want to have sex who cares? Go anywhere where there's a party and someone is gonna be having sex. that doesn't mean everyone is. I think someone going to Brazil thinking that ALL young women want to sleep with them is gonna be really disappointed . You can go to any country in the world and buy sex and you will also find women who aren't interested in that also.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:06 PM

111 posts, read 339,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
I agree with you that SOME white Brazilians get irritated about our traditional cultural roots, identity and image.

It's specially true in the states of São Paulo, Paraná, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul.

But that's a MINORITY.

Fact is, the MAJORITY of white Brazilians LOVE our identity, LOVE our music, LOVE our samba, and our culture.

If you have any doubt about it, go to the streets of Rio de Janeiro during the Carnaval, and look at the huge number of white Brazilians there, ejoying the samba.
I'm from Brazil, I look very stereotypically Nordic, and I love the samba. My family does identify with Europe a lot, but we do love Brazil too.

I do get annoyed when people stereotype Brazil, though. I'm more pissed off at many Americans' ignorance of how Brazil is different from Spanish-speaking America. I don't like when people ignore our diversity. I don't have a drop of Portuguese heritage. I'm mostly Eastern European. The emphasis on women's bodies bothers me too. My dad is actually a huge critic of the modelling industry and refused to let my sister become a model.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:02 PM

308 posts, read 500,417 times
Quote:
I've noticed many Brazilians of predominately European descent get irritated whenever a question that entertains the international perception of Brazil and Brazilians come up. The issue that I have is that there's nothing wrong with Samba and the carnival culture? It's a great add-on to the Brazilian identity. What other brand could we associate with Brazil?

Here's a blog entry of a Brazilian who want to change the perception of Brazil.

Brazilian Women Stereotypes - Brazilian News
Wouldn't you be offended if someone asked negative or any other common stereotypes about your people or culture?

On a sidenote I can see where you are coming from because it's like how many ppl complaining want to have it both ways. They point things out as negative or bad or degrading or as being taken advantage of but then on the other note they turn around and say that they are being **** shamed or just expressing sexual freedom and their sexuality, and then they say why is Brazil being criticized and not being represented.

It's similar to how some feminist or even black groups complain about being sexualized or viewed in a subservient image but then turn and complain about black presence and representation and that they have the right to express their sexual freedom. It's like they all want to have it both ways, while at the mean time they were all at the same time criticizing this sexual free image in public but really hating it or feeling that it was **** like and tacky behind the scenes or opportunistically bashing it when it suits their needs to find some reason to complain or scream unequivocal racism or to play the blame game. IJS!

Old 10-07-2013, 12:54 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Beautiful women dancing to nice music isn't a positive image? Brazil isn't a conservative country. It's a progressive one.
Maybe they want to be as bland as Europeans and Americans

I guess it's fair to say that Brazil's reputation abroad is better than reality.
It's not unlike with the US. Abroad people think of NYC, LA, SF, and the grand canyon, but reality is much less interesting to put it mildly.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:06 PM

3,983 posts, read 6,793,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninoleo View Post
I'm from Brazil, I look very stereotypically Nordic, and I love the samba. My family does identify with Europe a lot, but we do love Brazil too.

I do get annoyed when people stereotype Brazil, though. I'm more pissed off at many Americans' ignorance of how Brazil is different from Spanish-speaking America. I don't like when people ignore our diversity. I don't have a drop of Portuguese heritage. I'm mostly Eastern European. The emphasis on women's bodies bothers me too. My dad is actually a huge critic of the modelling industry and refused to let my sister become a model.

Ninoleo, you are a true Brazilian, since you love samba!

Like that song says: "He who doesn't like samba, is not a good guy... He's either sick in the head, or sick in the feet!"

Old 10-18-2014, 09:22 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times
Quote:
I've noticed many Brazilians of predominately European descent get irritated whenever a question that entertains the international perception of Brazil and Brazilians come up. The issue that I have is that there's nothing wrong with Samba and the carnival culture? It's a great add-on to the Brazilian identity. What other brand could we associate with Brazil
I was born in Brazil, my ancestor came from Syria and I never had any interest in Carnival or Samba. Many of us who are descendants of immigrants from other parts of the world grew up with different values, different expectations and a very different mindset.

I find the whole Carnival/Samba culture very vulgar, I can't relate to any of it and the whole idea of a country just ceasing operations for 4 days to party is absolutely stupid IMO. Not to mention all the crime, the promiscuity and the absolute debauchery that happens during Carnival.

I think any Brazilian people who is reasonably smart and educated would not want to be associated with such stupidity.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:46 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,434,616 times
Anyway Brazil's Carnival is one of the world's greatest cultural manifestations. Its obvious that the country doesnt "stop" at all, since it creates thousands of jobs, money, entertainment and culture as no similary in the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas