Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 01:33 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,874,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I was born in Brazil, my ancestor came from Syria and I never had any interest in Carnival or Samba. Many of us who are descendants of immigrants from other parts of the world grew up with different values, different expectations and a very different mindset.

I find the whole Carnival/Samba culture very vulgar, I can't relate to any of it and the whole idea of a country just ceasing operations for 4 days to party is absolutely stupid IMO. Not to mention all the crime, the promiscuity and the absolute debauchery that happens during Carnival.

I think any Brazilian people who is reasonably smart and educated would not want to be associated with such stupidity.
Repubocrat, you've already established there is nothing you like about Brazil. Hating everything about the country of your birth is not going to make the Gringo accept you 100% as one of their own. So, stop pretending that you're in the Good Ol' Boy's club, you're not, and never will be.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-23-2014 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: deleted quoted post and reply

Old 10-19-2014, 05:47 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,298,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Repubocrat, you've already established there is nothing you like about Brazil. Hating everything about the country of your birth is not going to make the Gringo accept you 100% as one of their own. So, stop pretending that you're in the Good Ol' Boy's club, you're not, and never will be.
Quite the contrary! I am very critical of the country I was born in and if everybody thought along the same lines, I think we could be a developed country by now.

I really don't understand how people can be proud of Samba and Carnaval. It has absolutely no substance, it does not make anybody smarter, healthier, or more intelligent. It does not make society better in any relevant way.

I will be proud of Brazil when most high school kids can do basic Math and Science, are able to think critically, have a basic understanding of Politics and develop a taste for acquiring knowledge.

Until then, Carnaval to me is nothing more than a very clever way to keep people stupid, ignorant and foolishly entertained while politicians finish ransacking the country

Old 10-19-2014, 09:31 AM

9,970 posts, read 12,353,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Quite the contrary! I am very critical of the country I was born in and if everybody thought along the same lines, I think we could be a developed country by now.

I really don't understand how people can be proud of Samba and Carnaval. It has absolutely no substance, it does not make anybody smarter, healthier, or more intelligent. It does not make society better in any relevant way.

I will be proud of Brazil when most high school kids can do basic Math and Science, are able to think critically, have a basic understanding of Politics and develop a taste for acquiring knowledge.

Until then, Carnaval to me is nothing more than a very clever way to keep people stupid, ignorant and foolishly entertained while politicians finish ransacking the country
There are many countries throughout the whole of the Americas and the whole that have "vulgar" carnival and carnival related music. Culture and economy is not the same, you can be proud of Brazil's culture but not its economy.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:19 PM

70 posts, read 116,725 times
many white Brazilians perceive it as degrading and ghetto, but coming from a black Brazilian I don't really have a problem with it. it adds a certain flare to our culture, but that's my opinion. I don't think its appropriate for so many little girls to be doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.