Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 10:01 AM

836 posts, read 1,256,163 times

Advertisements

Argentina has the most psychologists per capita anywhere (also see this Wall Street Journal article), with particular emphasis on psychoanalysis - and this has gone on since at least the 1950s-1960s. I'm just wondering what other Latin American countries have been obsessed with psychology in general and psychoanalysis in particular, if not to quite the same extent? I have in mind countries like Brazil and Peru, which accepted psychoanalysis even earlier than Argentina. After all, Latin American countries have all been influenced philosophically by the humanities as studied by French intellectuals, and have all had political/economic instability in the mid-late 20th century to one degree or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 10:32 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,648 times
Is having a shrink something of a status symbol in Argentina?

Old 06-30-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I think it might be. Again, I was just wondering whether other Latin American countries have that sort of thing, even if not to as great an extent.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Argentina, being historically the richest country in South America, has more of all people of professional status per capita than any other Latin American country. More engineers, more optometrists, more accountants, more everything. Do you think there are fewer psychologists in N icaragua because Nicaraguans have better mental health, or because there are very few who can afford the luxury of lying on a couch at $500 an hour?

Old 07-02-2013, 09:39 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
everyone i know goes to therapy.

Including me of course

This insane city is full of neurotics and psychs. Also, pharmacies. Lots and lots of psychs and pharmacies- *mentally healthy city*-

Old 07-02-2013, 11:50 PM

154 posts, read 454,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Argentina, being historically the richest country in South America, has more of all people of professional status per capita than any other Latin American country. More engineers, more optometrists, more accountants, more everything. Do you think there are fewer psychologists in N icaragua because Nicaraguans have better mental health, or because there are very few who can afford the luxury of lying on a couch at $500 an hour?
how come their main export is soybean, and commodities. with all thouse engineers they should be exporting somthing with some added valued, some tech stuff. i imean with all that knowledge, argentina is just as nicaragua when it comes to exports and manufacturing.

do you mean $500 argentinian pesos, i dont think you mean dollars. 500 pesos aint worth shet with an inflation of over 30%.

Last edited by unitedstatian; 07-03-2013 at 12:00 AM..

Old 07-03-2013, 07:35 AM

It sounds to me like Argentina has had a unique set of circumstances not quite paralleled in other Latin American countries that has led Argentina to be a world centre of psychoanalysis, whether Lacanian or otherwise. Is that correct? In other words, no other Latin American country but Argentina has had a large amount of immigration and a large middle class AND has at the same time experienced more political turmoil for longer in the 20th century than other Latin American countries which would facilitate the growth of psychoanalysis?

Old 07-03-2013, 11:06 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
It sounds to me like Argentina has had a unique set of circumstances not quite paralleled in other Latin American countries that has led Argentina to be a world centre of psychoanalysis, whether Lacanian or otherwise. Is that correct? In other words, no other Latin American country but Argentina has had a large amount of immigration and a large middle class AND has at the same time experienced more political turmoil for longer in the 20th century than other Latin American countries which would facilitate the growth of psychoanalysis?

Thats a good theory.

I ve heard Buenos Aires is the city with more therapist per person in the world. Argentinians seem to be disturbed people, maybe from all the things we have to go through, politically, its just you get use to live with an emotionally unstable state of mind. This is still a country in where the big majority is middle class, and i guess that contributes with all people doing therapy too.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:07 PM

10,091 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Interesting...

Just the other day I heard on the radio how many of the suppose Psychological "illnesses" are imaginary and that many Psychologist are not even aware of this. I'll see if I find something about this online.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:26 PM

Don't take my word for it - read Mariano Plotkin's book, "Freud in the Pampas".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas