U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would DR more likely unite with?
Haiti 7 13.21%
Puerto Rico (if it were independent) 46 86.79%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 03:45 PM

58 posts, read 157,573 times

Advertisements

Which of these countries are more likely to unite with DR, I know Puerto Rico is not independent, but if it were, would DR more likely unite with PR or Haiti. DR shares an island with Haiti, and they have similar history. But has a better relationship with Puerto Rico, they have similar cultures and more in common with Puerto Ricans than with Haitians. Overall, Dominicans get along better with Puerto Ricans than with Haitians. The DR government and the PR government even have an economic agreement. Both, are viewed in a negative light in DR due to ignorance, but Haitians much more so than PRs.
So, the question here is who will the DR government be more willing to unite with, and which one will average Dominican citizens be more open to. Also, which action would better their economy.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:35 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,212,583 times
No country is going to unite with anybody.

Haiti and DR are not at all friendly with each other, and it is usually pretty difficult to cross the border, and locals hardly ever do.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:19 PM

7,680 posts, read 8,480,429 times
The United States ... so in a way one could select Puerto Rico. An independent Puerto Rico is however incredibly unlikely, close to a 0% chance.

We almost annexed the Dominican Republic in 1869 ... the vote failed the US Senate by a single vote. Interestingly enough eventual statehood was part of the package. It would be almost a century before a majority-minority territory achieved statehood (Hawaii in 1959).

Old 07-14-2013, 09:37 PM

322 posts, read 484,562 times
My fiance is half Dominican and Puerto Rican. Here is her observation:

DR and Haiti will never unite. The Dominicans hate Haitians with a fiery passion because of their superiority complex, thinking they are better than Haitians because of their lighter skin. This was installed in them through propaganda by Rafael Trujillo, the dictator from 1930-1961. He conducted a genocide of Haitians in the Dominican hinterlands in 1937, which left 20,000 ethnic Haitians dead. They forget the fact that 84% of Dominicans are either black or mulatto.

DR and PR will never unite for the same reason. The Puerto Ricans think that Dominicans are too dark and thus they have superiority complex. My fiance says, because her father is Puerto Rican and she lived there for her first 11 years of life, that there are gangs in PR that are trying to ethnically cleanse Dominicans.

Personally, I don't care. Dominican women and Puerto Rican women are ridiculously hot.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:46 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 11 days ago)

5,166 posts, read 8,017,583 times
The Haitians invaded the Dominican part in 1801, 1805 (in this one the Haitians committed mass killings of Dominican civilians all over the country including slitting the throats of kids), 1822 (in this one the Haitians encouraged Dominicans to leave the island and tried to replace them with people from other places, including some African Americans they settled in places like Samana), 1844, 1845, 1853, and 1856. Most of those invasions were violent and bloody with many innocent people (mostly Dominicans since all the fighting took place on their land) killed, women raped, towns repeatedly burned to the ground, and simply mass destruction simply because the Haitians wanted the whole island for themselves while the Dominicans wanted to live in peace on their side of the island.

This has caused a historic distrust among Dominicans of their Haitian neighbors. Historically the border region has been sparsely populated by Dominicans because of the fear of invasions. The Dominicans even offered their country to Spain in the mid-1800s and then to the USA in the late 1800s, in a desperate attempt to make the Haitians stop invading them and trying to rule their land and destroy their people, culture, and way of life. In both instances, the Dominicans were willing to accept an annexation of their country to a foreign power, as long as their right to be who they are be respected in terms of their culture and way of life.

The Dominicans even lost a large portion of their original territory to the Haitians because their neighbors invaded it and them laid claim to that land (almost the entire Haitian department of Centre and parts of Artibonite were Dominican territory until the early 20th Century when the Trujillo dictatorship attempted to settle the border dispute by forgiving the land that was already inhabited by the Haitians and having the Haitians agree to prevent their people from crossing over the new border into the now smaller Dominican territory.)

Many Dominicans also resent that many scholar when wanting to explain the Dominican-Haitian conflict, only go as far back as the Trujillo dictatorship (1930-61); when in reality, the origin of the conflict preceded even the birth of Trujillo by almost a century. From what some Dominicans have told me, they think this is intentionally done so that the fault of the Dominican-Haitian conflict is thought to be on the Dominicans and not on the Haitians, who instilled the fear on Dominicans in their multiple invasions through out the 1800s.

They basically spent the better part of the 1800s fighting off the Haitians in order to have their own country, so I think its obvious they would prefer to merge with Puerto Rico if they had to merge with one of the two. In reality, they would prefer to be an independent nation.

Last edited by AntonioR; 07-14-2013 at 09:58 PM..

Old 07-14-2013, 10:05 PM

I remember having posted these videos in another thread:

Old 07-15-2013, 02:22 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,431,836 times
Puerto Rican and Dominican culture are very similar, So obviously it would be easier to connect with Puerto Rico. Many Dominicans I have met, have openly expressed their dislike of Haitians, and many Haitians dislike Dominicans too. Any problems or rivalary Dominicans have with Puerto Ricans is not as extreme or intense. Dominican Republic is a developing country and is improving But it is light years ahead of Haiti. I hate to say it but Haiti is a burden on the developement of the D.R. Thousands of refugess poor over the broder draining resources that could be used to help poor Dominicans.

But on the other hand, Many P.R's might say the same thing about poor Dominicans, Many of them go over to Puerto Rico.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:19 AM

302 posts, read 724,171 times
Have you ever seen a satellite photo of the island of Hispaniola? Haiti is completely deforested while DR is green. That alone should tell you that the two countries will never unite.

And why would Puerto Rico go from being a part of a First World Country to being united to a Third World Country? The DR could not afford to dump the amount of money in PR that the US does.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aville239 View Post
Have you ever seen a satellite photo of the island of Hispaniola? Haiti is completely deforested while DR is green. That alone should tell you that the two countries will never unite.
Here are two aerial photos of the border between Haiti and the DR:

The only thing that the difference in forest cover shows is that these are two countries with completely different value systems, priorities, and ways of life/aspirations.

Forest cover in Haiti has been reduced to about 1% of their land area while not only has the DR managed to maintain a good deal of the original forests on their side, but its also one of only four countries in this hemisphere that in the last decade saw a growth in the forest cover. Supposedly DR's forests cover almost 40% of the country now when a decade ago it was around 30%.

Different cultures, priorities, values, etc is what this difference in forest covers shows. It also points to many other strong differences too.

But this isn't limited to these two countries. Look at the USA and Canada. They have much more in common with each other than Haiti has with the DR. The USA and Canada both speak the same language, their cultures are very similar, their cities even look similar too, demographics are also similar with the USA being a little more diverse. The times I've been to Canada, it always felt as if I was in some other region of the USA and had it not been for the Canadian flags, I could had fooled myself into thinking that. lol

And yet, the USA and Canada are not planning to unite. What can be expected of other countries with much greater differences and historic culture clashes?

Old 07-23-2013, 12:43 AM

5,081 posts, read 9,088,459 times
If anything countries are looking to split up more than to get together. There is little to be gained by those in power to unite with someone else. The German reunification was a very unusual case and when looked back on could have easily not happened. It took a cowered East German leadership to accept what essentially was a West German takeover. Would Haiti's leaders say you know for the betterment of our people I am willing to give up almost all claims on a leadership role and let someone else rule my land? Its just not what politicians or military leaders do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or