U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 05:51 AM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 14 days ago)

5,173 posts, read 8,025,013 times

Advertisements

I’m trying to understand why HIV/Aids rates are so high in the Caribbean islands with only sub-Saharan Africa finding itself in a worst situation.

These are the adult (15-49 years old) prevalence percentage:

Bahamas 2.8%
Belize 2.3%
Haiti 1.8%
Jamaica 1.8%
Trinidad & Tobago 1.5%
Guyana 1.1%
Suriname 1.0%
Barbados 0.9%
Dominican Republic 0.7%
Cuba 0.2%
Caribbean HIV & AIDS Statistics

I also read a report that said that unprotected sex between men and women, especially paid sex (prostitutes), is thought to be the principal way HIV is transmitted in the Caribbean.

Quote:
In the Caribbean, 63 per cent of the cases have already died. This high mortality is associated with the inadequate care that has been available for the majority of cases. In the age group 25-44 years, AIDS has become the leading cause of death in both males and females. This reverses the earlier trends in the Region, where mortality was moving away from communicable diseases to the chronic non-communicable, lifestyle-related diseases.

Available information on the levels of HIV infection is much lower, since the reporting of HIV infection is almost non-existent in most of our Member States. This represents a major challenge for the surveillance systems as, typically, these persons are not ill and therefore do not seek medical attention. Moreover, many physicians are reluctant to report the cases, claiming doctor/patient confidentiality. Available data are derived from seroprevalence surveys which are conducted intermittently in select sub-groups of the population - blood donors and antenatal patients, as a proxy for the general population. The prevalence rates of HIV infection range from 3 to 4 per cent at the high end, as seen in Guyana and The Bahamas, to <1 per cent in some of the smaller States like Saint Lucia and St.Vincent and the Grenadines with Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago in the middle , with between 1 and 2 per cent.

Comparatively, in the high risk groups of female sex workers and persons attending sexually transmitted infection clinics, the rates are as high as 22 per cent in Guyana, moving to 12 to 13 per cent in Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago, and 2 per cent in St. Vincent and the Grenadines. This means that some Caribbean States are already at the stage of the epidemic where the spread of the infection is already generalised in the population. This underlies the level of urgency required for action.
HIV/AIDS in the Caribbean

Why countries like Cuba and Dominican Republic are the least affected by HIV/Aids while places like the Bahamas, Belize, or Haiti have such high prevalence rate?

How can the prevalence rate be so different between the Dominican Republic and Haiti? Is it possible that a large percentage, or even most, HIV/Aids sufferers in Dominican Republic are Haitian immigrants and Haitian descendants? Is there a difference between the prevalence among Dominicans and among Haitians in Dominican Republic?

What about in the Bahamas? Are Haitians the major reason for the high prevalence rate there or is it much more widespread among the Bahamian population?

Why are much wealthier countries such as the Bahamas, Trinidad & Tobago or Barbados suffer a worst HIV/Aids prevalence rate than Dominican Republic?

How is Cuba able to maintain such a low prevalence rate?

HIV/Aids prevalence rates in a few other countries:

World 0.8%

Thailand 1.3%
Panama 0.9%
Guatemala 0.8%
United States 0.6%
Colombia 0.6%
Argentina 0.5%
Uruguay 0.5%
France 0.4%
Canada 0.3%
Mexico 0.3%
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...s/2155.html#bf

Last edited by AntonioR; 07-19-2013 at 06:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 09:34 AM

6,932 posts, read 8,087,398 times
What's Puerto Rico's percentage?

The size of these islands makes their statistics appear alarming. Why do you think DC has the highest HIV/STD percentage in the US? If you factor in metropolitan areas in the US and Europe, the HIV rates would look similar or worse than the stats you posted. Antonio, I thought you were smarter than that.

Last edited by knowledgeiskey; 07-19-2013 at 10:04 AM..

Old 07-19-2013, 09:48 AM

Old 07-19-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
What's Puerto Rico's percentage?
I don't know. I have yet to see a source that keeps tract of their HIV/Aids prevalence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey
The size of these islands makes their statistics appear alarming. Why do you think DC has the highest HIV/STD percentage in the US? If you factor in metropolitan areas in the US and Europe, the HIV rates would look similar or worse than the stats you posted. Antonio, I thought you were smarter than that.
Its quite obvious you have never taken a college statistics course.

Have you ever heard of the Dunning-Kruger effect? Here's a hint:

Last edited by AntonioR; 07-19-2013 at 11:27 AM..

Old 07-19-2013, 11:08 AM

HIV/Aids prevalence in other small countries (populations of 1 million people or less):

Equatorial Guinea 5.0%
Djibouti 2.1%
Iceland 0.3%
Luxembourg 0.3%
Bhutan 0.2%
Brunei 0.1%
Comoros 0.1%
Fiji 0.1%
Maldives 0.1%
Malta 0.1%
Cape Verde 0.04%
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...s/2155.html#af

In all of them, except for Equatorial Guinea and Djibouti (both African countries btw), the rates are much lower than is typical in the Caribbean, even islands like Trinidad & Tobago with their more than 1 million inhabitants.

Last edited by AntonioR; 07-19-2013 at 11:20 AM..

Old 07-19-2013, 11:14 AM

HIV/Aids prevalence in other large countries (populations of 5 million or more):

South Africa 17.8%
Zimbabwe 14.3%
Zambia 13.5%
Mozambique 11.5%
Uganda 6.5%
Kenya 6.3%
Tanzania 5.6%
Rwanda 2.9%
Nigeria 2.6%
Ghana 1.8%
Ukraine 1.1%
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...s/2155.html#af

Old 07-19-2013, 11:37 AM

This is interesting despite most HIV/Aids infections are between heterosexual couples and not among homosexuals:

Stigma and MSM: A Barrier to Prevention - TheBody.com

Old 07-19-2013, 12:40 PM

322 posts, read 484,786 times
I'm from the Bahamas and NOBODY I know has HIV/AIDS. Maybe someone does and is lying to me?

Old 07-19-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I don't know. I have yet to see a source that keeps tract of their HIV/Aids prevalence.

Its quite obvious you have never taken a college statistics course.

Have you ever heard of the Dunning-Kruger effect? Here's a hint:

I think that applies to you.

This thread was obviously intended to suit your racist agenda. I asked you what's Puerto Rico's HIV percentage, and for some reason you can't find it. You more than well know that Puerto Rico has the highest HIV percentage in all of the Caribbean despite it being overwhelmingly European. But it doesn't suit your agenda, so you don't care.

Carry on though.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:26 PM

322 posts, read 484,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I think that applies to you.

This thread was obviously intended to suit your racist agenda. I asked you what's Puerto Rico's HIV percentage, and for some reason you can't find it. You more than well know that Puerto Rico has the highest HIV percentage in all of the Caribbean despite it being overwhelmingly European. But it doesn't suit your agenda, so you don't care.

Carry on though.
LOL I found it somewhat odd that he only posted the stats for majority-African descent countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas