U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 09:36 PM

81 posts, read 156,617 times

Advertisements

Where should I study Spanish? Before you say the typical (Ecuador, Guatemala, etc.), maybe I should tell you a little about myself, to whittle down the options:
  • I love the accents/dialects that use "vos." I know to many it's hideous/wrong/whatever, but I think it's so charming and unique. I should also say that I think Rioplatanese Spanish (Uruguayan/Argentinean) Spanish is the most beautiful of them all.
  • I speak fluent Brazilian Portuguese, and would like to go somewhere that at least has friendly relations with Brazil. I plan on working while I am there, so I'm hoping a big selling point will be "Falo Português!"
  • I'm black, so I'd want to go somewhere where I'm not the only black guy in the room. I should add to this that I really like looking like a native. It opens a lot of doors and gives you a unique, raw experience (like it did for me in Brazil)
  • I'm also gay. That might complicate things in the region that made the word "machismo"
And lastly,
  • I want to go somewhere that's growing, somewhere that's really doing something, if you know what I mean.

Any suggestions? I'm really up for anything, and I'm pretty flexible. This list is just basically saying that if there was a country that could fit all that in, it'd be perfect!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 12:37 AM

5,083 posts, read 9,096,656 times
I doubt you see many Brazilians more than a few miles outside their borders. Those who do travel tend to go north as in to the US or Caribbean, not to visit their neighbors. This surely could change as currencies fluctuate, but almost every Brazilian with any resources up until recently looked to take advantage of the strong exchange rate and buy in the US, whether shopping for clothes and jewelry or shopping for condos.

As for the vos, well you know where to hear it although I think most schools even in those areas make an effort to teach you a more useful usted form for wider application. Then its up to you to pick up the local nuances by interacting with the locals. Only place you hear the vos used outside those two countries is Costa Rica and I don't think your other wishes are well served there. People elsewhere in Latin America use vos maybe when they are in church and that's about it.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:02 AM

356 posts, read 927,001 times
It seems that you know where to go, BS AS or Uruguay which apparently are also gay friendly and use voseo.

Other countries to consider Are Central American nations and Medellin, Colombia. Which also use vos.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:27 PM

81 posts, read 156,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avex View Post
It seems that you know where to go, BS AS or Uruguay which apparently are also gay friendly and use voseo.

Other countries to consider Are Central American nations and Medellin, Colombia. Which also use vos.
At the moment, my top two choices are Uruguay and Colombia. I would include Argentina, but the country is a proverbial basket-case. Apparently, BsAs is cheaper than Montevideo, but the country just seems perpetually in some sort of mess, especially now. If I were to study in Montevideo, I would definitely visit BsAs. How can you not?

Colombia is also an interesting option because it is on the rise and it's DIRT CHEAP to fly there and the place is reasonably cheap. There's also a ton of diversity, so I can visit the different "Colombias" while I was there. Colombia is definitely on my radar, but the violence is very off-putting. Yes, yes. I've already heard how the crime is exaggerated, and how Bogotá is so safe, but the fact is that there are still swathes of that country where the government has zero control and kidnappings do happen. I can't say I'm not worried about that. Still, there are definite opportunities to be had there.

I really don't know lol.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:38 PM

32,079 posts, read 32,986,776 times
I would suggest Colombia or Ecuador.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:46 PM

5,083 posts, read 9,096,656 times
I never heard vos used in Medellin or elsewhere in Colombia. Maybe it's a business culture thing, but you don't hear it on the streets.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:47 PM

6,932 posts, read 8,089,833 times
I would visit San Juan assuming you're American. There's no customs barriers, so you won't have to worry about any international irregularities.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:57 AM

13,581 posts, read 22,036,711 times
Uruguay
Colombia
Argentina
Ecuador
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas