Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2023, 06:26 PM

100 posts, read 58,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Plenty of people live in the USA and don't know English. I don't think there are any areas in the USA where people can get by speaking Portuguese only unlike Spanish. Yes, if people leave those areas than speaking English becomes necessary, but those areas where a person can speak Spanish and never need to speak another language tend to be quite self-sufficient. They tend to have everything a person needs to live a modern lifestyle and don't have the necessity to leave.

The same is seen in many countries with expat communities. Many of them in Latin America don't know the language of the countries they live in. They manage to live there because they are in expat communities where English is more heard. Modern technology also allows for things that not too long ago was impossible, such as television channels in English because they actually are the same channels created in the USA.

Minimum wage is not a good measure. Most people working in the formal sectors are making more than the minimum wage. Countries like Bolivia and Paraguay may have higher minimum wages than Brazil, but they also have a high level of informality where the minimum wage requisite doesn't apply. I bet average wages in Brazil are higher than in those two countries despite they may have higher minimum wages. There are rich countries in Europe that don't have minimum wages and yet, their average wages are higher than in Brazil or anywhere in Latin America. No one can legislate their way to higher wages and that's essentially what minimum wages are trying to do. For that reason they are more political, sort of similar to the unemployment. When it goes down politicians make sure everyone knows about if they were governing when it happened, but unemployment goes down due to more of the unemployed finding work (that's the implication in many people's mind), but it can also go down because more unemployed people give up finding work and leave the labor force than unemployed that found jobs. So yes, unemployment goes down, but to know what that means you have to see the details and that's not what politicians want you to do.

I wasn't clear enough. The majority of Brazilian population win subhuman wages. They have other priorities like pay the food, the rent, or work to survive. Travel outside the country is the last of our priorities. My mother say the same " a lot of people don't speak english and live in U.S". Is horrible live in a country withouth speaking any language. Without friends or talk with anyone/ what a such horrible and solitary life. I don't romantize this. I don't know the salaries and Paraguay and Bolivia but the salaries in Brazil are subhuman. Only politicians, judges, doctors, and soccer players win living salaries here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2023, 12:19 PM

983 posts, read 859,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
The Brazilians I run into here in Canada are pretty white. I have met more Brazilians of Japanese background than Black Brazilians.
Quote:
I don't think black Brazilians emigrate much. Most of the Brazilians that I have met in person outside of Brazil have been whites too.
Most Brazilians who emigrate abroad are middle class (most whites, japanese) looking for better quality of life in first world countries.

The poorest brazilians (most pardos / blacks) migrate to the big brazilians cities like Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Brasilia or others state capital cities, and get some job and make a life there.

Old 08-22-2023, 12:39 PM

9,754 posts, read 14,586,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Most Brazilians who emigrate abroad are middle class (most whites, japanese) looking for better quality of life in first world countries.

The poorest brazilians (most pardos / blacks) migrate to the big brazilians cities like Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Brasilia or others state capital cities, and get some job and make a life there.
That make sense. There is another detail of most of the Brazilians I have met (mainly in the USA) and that is that most of them are from Minas Gerais. For a time I began to wonder what was happening over there that so many people were leaving. lol

I went through a similar fase a few years back when my aunt moved to the Orlando, Florida area. She moved in the spring and we visited in the summer. We went to the same church she and her husband went (a Spanish one) and at the end of the mass the priest asked every new person to stand up, say their name and where they are from. I kid you not that around 95% of the people said they were from San Germán, Puerto Rico. A similar occurrence happened a week later. What was happening in San Germán began to circle in my head. lol This was many years before Hurricane María or the economic crisis that arose on the island I think in 2006.

Old 08-22-2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
That make sense. There is another detail of most of the Brazilians I have met (mainly in the USA) and that is that most of them are from Minas Gerais. For a time I began to wonder what was happening over there that so many people were leaving. lol

I went through a similar fase a few years back when my aunt moved to the Orlando, Florida area. She moved in the spring and we visited in the summer. We went to the same church she and her husband went (a Spanish one) and at the end of the mass the priest asked every new person to stand up, say their name and where they are from. I kid you not that around 95% of the people said they were from San Germán, Puerto Rico. A similar occurrence happened a week later. What was happening in San Germán began to circle in my head. lol This was many years before Hurricane María or the economic crisis that arose on the island I think in 2006.
yeah i forgot to say that, most Brazilians living in the Boston area are from ONLY ONE CITY in Minas Gerais called Governador Valadares, and in the interior of Brazil does not have as many blacks as on the coast, most are white or light mixed ones.

what happened, they say, is that the first ones went there together with / or taken by the Portugueses who already had a large colony there and then a relative took the others and others.

Old 08-22-2023, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagomechan View Post
I wasn't clear enough. The majority of Brazilian population win subhuman wages. They have other priorities like pay the food, the rent, or work to survive. Travel outside the country is the last of our priorities. My mother say the same " a lot of people don't speak english and live in U.S". Is horrible live in a country withouth speaking any language. Without friends or talk with anyone/ what a such horrible and solitary life. I don't romantize this. I don't know the salaries and Paraguay and Bolivia but the salaries in Brazil are subhuman. Only politicians, judges, doctors, and soccer players win living salaries here.
Kagomechan you are the average joe brazilian who doesn't have much sense of the outside world

Wages in Brazil or rather, purchasing power in Brazil are low compared to developed countries. But for the majority of the population of underdeveloped countries it would be a dream to live in a country where wages are more than enough to not go its family in hungry, (food in Brazil including top quality meats are cheap) and still enough to pay for basic things like water, electricity , clothes, internet, rent etc. and it is not difficult to find blue collar jobs because unemployment only exceeds 10% in crisis. Traveling abroad is not available to everyone not even in rich countries.

Bolivians, Haitians, Africans migrated to work in Brazil not to have higher wages, but because they cannot find jobs in their countries or when they do, they do not earn enough even to feed themselves properly.

Of course, Brazilians don't have to settle for that because the country has all the conditions to be one of the richest in the world, but it is not even close to being a disaster.

Old 08-23-2023, 06:56 PM

217 posts, read 167,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Kagomechan you are the average joe brazilian who doesn't have much sense of the outside world

Bolivians, Haitians, Africans migrated to work in Brazil not to have higher wages, but because they cannot find jobs in their countries or when they do, they do not earn enough even to feed themselves properly.

Of course, Brazilians don't have to settle for that because the country has all the conditions to be one of the richest in the world, but it is not even close to being a disaster.
Most of the Brazilians in Houston are peddling some type of evangelical agenda and they are of varied racial mixes. check out the Attached Thumbnails, and there many more churches that do not appear in the map.

It is unprofessional to lump Bolivia with places like Haiti and poor countries in Africa. Bolivia has a better and more stable economy than most countries in LA.
According to Reuters "Bolivia's government points to relatively robust economic growth of 3.5% in 2022 and inflation that remains low at around 3%, partly due to costly government subsidies for fuel"

check out their 3 main cities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQXraIK9XdU
Attached Thumbnails
Why no black Brazilian's visible at the Pope's mass ?-brazil-evangelicals.jpg  

Old 08-23-2023, 08:23 PM

983 posts, read 336,650 times
^^Bolivian cities actually look pretty cool. Would like to visit someday.

Old 08-24-2023, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naners1 View Post
Most of the Brazilians in Houston are peddling some type of evangelical agenda and they are of varied racial mixes. check out the Attached Thumbnails, and there many more churches that do not appear in the map.

It is unprofessional to lump Bolivia with places like Haiti and poor countries in Africa. Bolivia has a better and more stable economy than most countries in LA.
According to Reuters "Bolivia's government points to relatively robust economic growth of 3.5% in 2022 and inflation that remains low at around 3%, partly due to costly government subsidies for fuel"

check out their 3 main cities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQXraIK9XdU

I didn't mean that these countries have the same level of development, just that they immigrate in large numbers to work in Brazil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolivians_in_Brazil

Bolivia, Paraguay and Peru were the poorest countries in South America, Peru grew a lot in the 2000s, now it seems that things are improving in Paraguay and Bolivia too.

Old 08-24-2023, 06:28 PM

983 posts, read 336,650 times
Speaking of the Pope, how Catholic is Brazil these days? I remember seeing something online about there being a sharp decline in Catholicism in Brazil. Mainly due to people converting to Eveangelical Christiniaty. Brazil wouldn't be alone in this. It seems to be happening in many places in Latam.

Could it be that many Black Brazilians are now Evanagelical and that's why there wasn't many at the Popes mass?

Old 08-24-2023, 06:46 PM

100 posts, read 58,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Speaking of the Pope, how Catholic is Brazil these days? I remember seeing something online about there being a sharp decline in Catholicism in Brazil. Mainly due to people converting to Eveangelical Christiniaty. Brazil wouldn't be alone in this. It seems to be happening in many places in Latam.

Could it be that many Black Brazilians are now Evanagelical and that's why there wasn't many at the Popes mass?
The majority of black Brazilians are catholic. But why do some people think that all things in Brazil are obligated to have blacks? ridiculous. There are no black brazilians in public events because prefer sleep in the weekend, or don't have money to go, or prefer others activities. For the same reason for white Brazilians don't go to many events.
After Lula ( Brazil actual president) say that 50% of Brazil population is "black" foreigners started with these stupid questions. Because believe that 50% of Brazil is in fact black. Including American sites say that Brazil have 100 millions of blacks ( mixed race counted as black). Despise the mainly ancestry of mixed race Brazilians are european and exist a lot of mestizos and zambos in Brazil. Pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas