Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 03:40 PM

4,370 posts, read 6,998,397 times

Advertisements

The Roman Catholic International youth rally, held every few years, is going on this week in Rio do Janeiro, Brazil. I was watching, on EWTN cable channel, this week's mass for Pope Francis, in the cathedral there, and am surprised that ALL the participants around the altar seem to be white. Do the Catholic authorities make no effort to include black, or mixed-race Brazilians singing in the large choir, or otherwise leading the service ? Surely not all the country's blacks have defected to Pentecostal denominations ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 04:23 PM

4,370 posts, read 6,998,397 times
O.K. I'm watching the ESPN-televised Way of the Cross parade today (occurring on Copacabana Beach in Rio), and it seems to be a little (slightly) more racially-inclusive. Sorry to offend anyone.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:22 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,676,896 times
Many Afro-Brazilians practice Candomble, a mix of Catholicism and religions indigenous to west Africa. They may not consider themselves "orthodox" Catholics.
Pope Francis does care about people who are of African ancestry.

Pope Francis commemorates migrant dead at Lampedusa | Reuters

Of course, people will criticize the Pope regardless of what he does or doesn't do.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:05 PM

271 posts, read 981,194 times
I saw a lot of blacks during the mass tonight on Copacabana beach. One in particular had a lead singing role on the altar/stage.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:12 PM

4,439 posts, read 6,934,526 times
I don't live in Brazil yet when the youth catholic event when held in Sydney I saw on the news there, there seemed to me people of different colours and nationalities everywhere.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:42 PM

578 posts, read 954,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
The Roman Catholic International youth rally, held every few years, is going on this week in Rio do Janeiro, Brazil. I was watching, on EWTN cable channel, this week's mass for Pope Francis, in the cathedral there, and am surprised that ALL the participants around the altar seem to be white. Do the Catholic authorities make no effort to include black, or mixed-race Brazilians singing in the large choir, or otherwise leading the service ? Surely not all the country's blacks have defected to Pentecostal denominations ?
Hmm, interesting. That's an interesting question. Were there any Native American/indigenous looking people included?

Old 09-12-2013, 05:47 PM

111 posts, read 336,473 times
Most Afro-Brazilians are Catholic. Three out of four Brazilians is definitely Catholic. Though they're very liberal - unlike many American Catholics.

Honestly, I'm ticked off about this too because the media tries to paint us as a white country.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:43 PM

195 posts, read 438,130 times
I don't know where the thread's author lives ( I don't know, but I have my suspicions that he is mexican) but he didn't know what the real Brazil is. Maybe this information on Wikipedia may help him to clarify his mind

Demographics of Brazil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-19-2013, 01:42 PM

3,887 posts, read 6,672,181 times
Most black Brazilians are Catholics, just like the rest of the Brazilian population

But if you check the article "Brazil" on Wikipedia, you can easily read:

According to the National Research by Household Sample (PNAD) of 2008, 48.43% of the population (about 92 million) described themselves as White; 43.80% (about 83 million) as Brown (Multiracial), 6.84% (about 13 million) as Black; 0.58% (about 1.1 million) as Asian; and 0.28% (about 536 thousand) as Amerindian (officially called indígena, Indigenous)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil#Race_and_ethnicity

Blacks are 6.84% of Brazil's population. So, I can't understand why some people have expectations to see more than 7% of blacks in any Brazilian crowd.

Almost half of the population are brown people, and so you should expect to see lots of brown people everywhere in Brazil. But blacks are no more than 7%

Old 10-08-2013, 06:48 AM

308 posts, read 497,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antma robel View Post
I don't know where the thread's author lives ( I don't know, but I have my suspicions that he is mexican) but he didn't know what the real Brazil is. Maybe this information on Wikipedia may help him to clarify his mind

Demographics of Brazil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well according to the 2010 census Brazil is now majority brown/pardo/multiracial which exists in all colors and shades
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas