U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 09:22 PM

490 posts, read 1,498,042 times

Advertisements

What I mean by friendly are the ones who are among the most outgoing, the loudest most talkative. The ones that will crack jokes at any time and like to do things such as dance and listen to music. The ones who are the most straightforward and quick and easy to make friends with. The ones who are laid back.

I know just about any Latin American nation can have people like that but I think some of the LA nations are more than others and some are less. Some nations have higher or lower concentrations of these people I mentioned. And please don't include Brazil, Belize, Haiti, Suriname, the guys as or Quebec or Jamaica etc... This is only for the Spanish speaking nations. Also if you can answer, how would Spain fit in there if it were thrown into the equation?

I'm Mexican and I have very little to no contact with other Latin Americans aside from maybe Guatemalans and Salvadorans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 10:36 PM

7,549 posts, read 2,425,094 times
In my experience, the Dominican Republic has very friendly people overall. You can just old talk with them, and they also seem very fun-loving. Not sure how "Latin American" that is, but it's definitely very Caribbean...

Never been to Panama but have met plenty Panamanians...and they tend to be very friendly as well.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:37 PM

If you guys can make a list of the top 5 friendliest nations then tell me. And yes I do include Mexico, the Caribbean, Central and South America. And also wondering where the Mexicans fit in this since I am Mexican myself. I have met just a little bit of people from just about every continent and I think I come to the conclusion that there is probably no other nationality friendlier than the Mexicans. I would be surprised to see someone friendlier and more welcoming. I have met people from Japan, India, Saudi Arabia, UK, South Africa and even from Colombia, Peru, Argentina and Chile and they generally seemed far nicer and more polite than the Mexicans... But there are so much formalities that there is not any room for teasing or laughing... Or even getting close or eye contact... Of course most people I've met from other countries are from the capitals of their country such as Tokyo, Seoul and Bogotá.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:48 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,687,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
What I mean by friendly are the ones who are among the most outgoing, the loudest most talkative.
There's a pretty good chance that Venezuela would be the number one
unlike other countries, when venezuelans live in other countries they don't create "venezuelan communities"
Venezuelans get along with everybody, every culture, every religion, etc.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:01 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,212,583 times
Personally, I found Colombia to be the country where people would be most likely to open up and be friendly and hospitable to a traveler (in my case, me). This included ordinary people on the street as well as shopkeepers.

Argentina was the worst, in terms of the coldness and rudeness of service personnel, like waiters, shopkeepers, bus personnel, officials, etc., like they hate the people they are paid to serve. But just regular people on the street seemed OK.

As regards to Mexico, I never spend any time in large cities, so I can't say anything about that, but outside the cities, Mexicans are extremely open and friendly. If you meet a Mexican out in the campo, they are always very friendly and welcoming and talkative.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-18-2013 at 09:14 AM..

Old 08-18-2013, 11:43 AM

448 posts, read 562,132 times
Having been to Chile recently I can say that they are not very warm...they reminded my of the dutch or swedes...
I always thought that latin america was a warm place... it's not. At least not Chile.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
Having been to Chile recently I can say that they are not very warm...they reminded my of the dutch or swedes...
I always thought that latin america was a warm place... it's not. At least not Chile.
Actually, that is true, the people of the southern cone of South America (i.e. Argentina , Chile and Uruguay) are known to be some of the least friendly and most reserved of Latin America. They are very polite and highly educated, but many if them lack much soul. I hear that it could be the fact since its more European in culture, architecture, and most people are of European descent. Even most of its immigrants from the 19th and 20th centuries were from Europe.

But then again, I don't know if that could be the reason because I find Peruvians to be not so friendly, reserved and indifferent about many things. The ones who are more friendly and outgoing are the ones who have more European (Spanish) mixture. Or at least they are from towns that have more Spanish or European influence. Peruvians are mostly Native American or mestizos leaning more towards the indigenous side. There are a good number of East Asians too

Old 08-19-2013, 12:27 PM

5,899 posts, read 8,407,315 times
warm/loudest: Argentinians. (but they can also be crazy warm and loud)
nicer: Colombians

Old 08-19-2013, 12:48 PM

9,224 posts, read 15,930,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
There's a pretty good chance that Venezuela would be the number one
unlike other countries, when venezuelans live in other countries they don't create "venezuelan communities"
Venezuelans get along with everybody, every culture, every religion, etc.
Venezuelans were my first thought too.

Having lived in South Florida & Southern California with lot's of Hispanic people (and being part mexican myself), every single person I have met from Venezuela has been warm and friendly.

My ranking would be this:

Top 3:
1) Venezuela
2) Honduras
3) Ecuador

Peruvians and Argentinians seem to be very smug and cold whenever I run into them.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 5,607 times
Depends which city in Chile. If you're referring to Santiago, then I would agree from firsthand experience.
The people in Santiago are generally not as friendly or open towards foreigners. They tend to be more exclusive and stick to themselves.
However, I hear people in the south of Chile are extremely nice, as if they are from a completely different country. This is from all secondhand accounts.

We should be specific to the city, because a country is too broad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or