Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 10:50 AM

356 posts, read 1,065,751 times

Advertisements

My experience in Spain..

The way they speak among each other is different from how one would in Mexico. In Madrid people are far more direct, straightforward in an almost brash way. At first I thought they were angry and rude with each other and with me, but never did i feel that it was related to race. Later I realized that they are not uncouth, I was simply witnessing a difference in cultures and mannerisms in terms of speech.

Mexicans in general tend to be more softer spoken and polite when speaking. Since I'm accustomed to this mode of speech, I was shocked in Spain but after adapting they became comical and charming characters.

So maybe these latinos who go to Spain are not accustomed to the Spanish way of speaking and because of it think they are being discriminated against?

Last edited by Avex; 08-25-2013 at 11:00 AM..

Old 08-25-2013, 12:51 PM

79 posts, read 387,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
In what way do Puerto Ricans and Mexicans have an animosity towards each other?
it has to do with pride, puerto ricans would say to mexicans that this is their country since they are part of the US, mexicans are pretty cocky, they outnumber all the hispanics and I've heard many disrespect other hispanics' countries by saying they don't matter, no hispanic who isn't mexican likes to be called a mexican, it's an insult, you can call us anything else but not mexican

Old 08-25-2013, 03:00 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times
Both groups aren't in close proximity with each other for there to be any animosity from any of them towards the other. I have heard reports of native Spanish committing hate crimes against immigrants from Latin America though. Then again Spanish natives have xenophobic sentiments against all immigrant groups coming from various countries outside of Latin America.

I should add that I remember in HS, there were a girl from Spain who were close friends with a Puerto Rican classmate. They used to converse in Spanish with one another, so there may be a sense of belonging.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:49 PM

263 posts, read 808,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusnred View Post
when you visit their country, they think they are better than you just because they are lighter and they see hispanics as being inferior, I refuse to speak their language even though it's the official language of the country I was born in
So what happens when say a white Argentine of North Italian or Germanic ancestry visits Spain? How do you think they would be treated by those racist Spaniards. I figure it would be hard for them to feel racially superior when confronted with "hispanics" who look whiter than them on average.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:10 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Not all countries in Latin America suffer from a general anti-Spanish attitude. It depends on the history of each country and whether or not they had to fight very hard to win their independence from Spain. The countries that did usually have resentments towards Spain, while the countries that got their independence rather easily from Spain or even from another country in this hemisphere (for example, Uruguay got its independence from Brazil) don't have a general anti-Spanish feeling.

Countries usually develop a general resentment whenever they had to fight very hard to gain their independence, that's how it usually goes. For example, in Panama there's a much more general anti-Colombian attitude than anti-Spanish, but they got their independence from Colombia, not Spain.

Also, in some Latin American countries the political class have used the Spanish and the Spanish colonial period as a scapegoat for their current social and economic problems, even though most of Latin America has been free of Spanish rule for more than 150/200 years. They are also blind to the fact that different countries in Latin America have different levels of standard of living and even some countries, such as Argentina, were among the richest and most developed countries in the world at the end of the 19th Century and beginning of the 20th. The fact that all Latin American countries are not equal and many even reached the zenith of development is proof in itself that the colonial period doesn't explains the mismanagement countries such as Argentina has suffer in the last century or so.

Basically, Spain and the colonial times is not responsible for the mismanagement many of these countries have suffered since they became independent, they did that on their own; but, its better to blame it on someone else than accept responsibility.

Look at Singapore. They were a colony of Britain and once they became independent they went from being one of the poorest places on earth to one of the richest thanks to good policies put in place by their political class. There's not much they can either blame or thank the British for, their success was created by their own selves. In a similar fashion, India's backwardness is also not the fault of the British colonial period, its the result of bad Indian policies. The success of the USA is also no the responsibility of the British, but of US political decisions.

In Puerto Rico there's a slight anti-Spanish attitude and the most common explanation for it is that Spain didn't developed Puerto Rico as the USA did. But in reality, Spain couldn't develop Puerto Rico because at the time PR became a USA colony (1898), Spain herself was not a developed country. Spain began to truly develop in the 1960s. Had Puerto Rico remained as a part of Spain throughout the 20th Century, today PR would had been much more developed anyway. Look at the Canary Islands, Melilla, Ceuta; all of these places are off the Spanish mainland and they have become increasingly developed as Spain herself became developed. There's no reason to believe that the same wouldn't had happened to Puerto Rico. The difference that would existed is that PR would had been developed along the European ways and not so much along the US ways.

Thanks, that was interesting

Old 08-25-2013, 09:35 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,412 times
Never in my life have i heard a Mexican say "Screw the Spanish!" or "Screw the French!", its mostly "Screw the corrupt Government!"

There is no animosity, it is mostly friendly/neutral. You know, all similar countries share a somewhat "rivalry". Have you seen how far these countries are from each other? Especially Mexico and Argentina, they have not been involved in any major conflict, or any at all.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:39 PM

537 posts, read 739,824 times
I dated a Tejana girl whose father was bitterly anti-Spanish. He was mestizo and, like one of the previous posters, carried a lot of resentment due to the history of the Spanish occupation of his country (Mexico).

Old 08-25-2013, 11:46 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
In what way do Puerto Ricans and Mexicans have an animosity towards each other?
I'd like to know that, too. I'm from Puerto Rico and I've never heard such a thing. The only animosity I'm aware of is against Dominicans, not Mexicans

Old 08-26-2013, 10:25 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,486,225 times
Spaniards don't hate LatinAmericans and neither look them up.

I have read many many fights on the internet, which films voices are better, etc. Stupid things always. I've heard also You conquered my world!!!

Sometimes I have read things like: Spaniards are not europeans, they are racist, they are morons. So they use a culture to insult us while calling us racist, loool.

By the way, I have been only in Mexico for a short time and I didn't experience anything at all, so I can talk only about internet interactions. I want to think it's only internet idiots.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:28 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'd like to know that, too. I'm from Puerto Rico and I've never heard such a thing. The only animosity I'm aware of is against Dominicans, not Mexicans

There really isn't any animosity between any Latin American groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas