Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 03:37 PM

208 posts, read 546,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
(actually, the region is more uncivilized and backwards because of the arrival of the Spaniards lol)
Actually, the region is more uncivilized and backwards because you are more uncivilized and backwards, not becouse the spanish.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:47 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
One of the practices the Spaniards ended in America:

Before the Spanish arrived in Mexico, Central America, and in South America; they had already witnessed cannibalism practiced by the Caribs in the Lesser Antilles. That's why they named them Caribes or Caribs and from that word the name of the region (Caribbean) evolved. Quite a few Spaniards became their dinner too.

Uncivilized and backwards are quite relative terms that can be applied to almost all human societies.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:37 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempranillo View Post
Actually, the region is more uncivilized and backwards because you are more uncivilized and backwards, not becouse the spanish.
If you compare the development of the United States to Latin American countries, Latin American countries inherited racist systems of extreme corruption, militarism, and nepotism. The people that arrived to the Americas came to EXPLOIT AND EXTRACT, not to develop inclusive progressive societies like the United States. Therefore, they came to establish violent and backwards system that continue today.

Anyone who wants to paint this history in a rosy way is ignoring the facts and the consequences. I don't find offense to your response, I take it as an emotional rant.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:01 PM

595 posts, read 719,385 times
Quote:
Like being corrected on using the word 'chocolate' instead of cacao. Really?
Maybe because cacao and chocolate are two different things?

And I have never hear anyone from Spain use the word "cacao", and I have met a lot of them, and, none have ever mentioned the Spanish heritage of Americans nor Spanish Empire, in fact, most are quite ignorant about that.

The Spanish you have met should be very weird.

Last edited by victus; 04-02-2014 at 07:09 PM..

Old 04-02-2014, 11:17 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,726 times
Quote:
If you compare the development of the United States to Latin American countries, Latin American countries inherited racist systems of extreme corruption, militarism, and nepotism. The people that arrived to the Americas came to EXPLOIT AND EXTRACT, not to develop inclusive progressive societies like the United States. Therefore, they came to establish violent and backwards system that continue today.

Anyone who wants to paint this history in a rosy way is ignoring the facts and the consequences. I don't find offense to your response, I take it as an emotional rant.
You are not only partly wrong, you are completely wrong. I don't want to get too much in depth but take a look at this video, you may get some answers.

Emir Sader entrevista Rafael Correa, Presidente do Equador - YouTube

Old 04-03-2014, 12:34 PM

208 posts, read 546,994 times
Quote:

Let's talk about the elephant in the room.

The ex-colonies which are in better shape than latin countries are those ones wich has reduced to a minimum the native population. You can look all around the world.

Claim that Spain went there to blah, blah ,blah ... and the others powers were to stablish "inclusive progressive societies " it's not only false, it's stupid, you only look to USA, Canada, Australia, why don't you look to India, Somalia, Jamaica, Haiti,SouthAfrica, Sudan, Malasya...

The USA had fougth for what they have, you intead, blame anothers for your faults, And that is the main reason of the hate to the spanish.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:54 PM

195 posts, read 441,207 times
I didn't know that Spanish people hate hispanics...

Old 04-03-2014, 03:01 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempranillo View Post

The ex-colonies which are in better shape than latin countries are those ones wich has reduced to a minimum the native population.
Yes your right, genocide has worked well for certain people. Top it off with slavery and have others build your countries for you.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:52 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Lol that's why they get called arrogant. I find many of these stories about the Spanish being arrogant are tied to language. The funny thing is no knock on Spain but IMO the Spanish spoken in some Latin American countries is "prettier" than much of the Spanish spoken in Spain.
That is definitely not true.

Continental European romance languages always sound better than their new world counterparts.

Spanish from Spain is beautiful. I could listen to it all day. Mexican Spanish.... uh....

Portuguese from Portugal is also much nicer sounding compared to Brazilian Portuguese.

Repeat with French from France v. Quebec, and British English v. American.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:54 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Yes your right, genocide has worked well for certain people. Top it off with slavery and have others build your countries for you.

Please clarify: When you say "genocide has worked well for certain people," are we talking about those in the US, Europe, Latin America, African empires, Egypt, Rome, Greece, the Arab World, India, or the Indian Empires of South and Central America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas