Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2013, 09:34 AM

490 posts, read 2,231,760 times

Advertisements

I have heard so much that the Latin Americans really hate the Spanish people. And also the Argentinians. I haven't met that many Spanish people but the ones I've met have been pretty friendly to me. I liked their "can do" attitude and their laidbackness. They don't seem to worry about the big things in life and they always say "no pasa nada". Of course this is only based on the few Spanish people I met. Spanish people haven't asked me about my race or nationality either. I enjoy their presence and generally the Spanish remind me a lot of my Mexican people nand other Latino people.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:18 AM

I wonder if being a mestizo Mexican in Spain, I would be discriminated. I would like to go to Spain sometime definitely.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:05 AM

16,581 posts, read 27,248,742 times
The only thing I can say about this are from Mexican and Mexican-American friends who have visited Spain. The men I knew told me that no one paid much attention to them until they opened their mouths. Once they heard them speaking Mexican Spanish, the looks and scoffs would start. The women told me that others, both men and women would look them up and down before they even said a word. One women was asked by another if she were Mexican. Don't know why it was different. From what I gathered, the Spaniards that they ran into at least just sort of seemed to have a superiority attitude toward them. Unfortunately, I've not known too many Spaniards to hear the other side. Now as far as Argentinians go, There does seem to be some animosity between Mexicans and Argentinians. The former seem more into it than the latter who at times seem rather unaware of it. Then there's the rivalry between Mexicans and Puerto Ricans.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:28 AM

9,768 posts, read 14,606,230 times
Not all countries in Latin America suffer from a general anti-Spanish attitude. It depends on the history of each country and whether or not they had to fight very hard to win their independence from Spain. The countries that did usually have resentments towards Spain, while the countries that got their independence rather easily from Spain or even from another country in this hemisphere (for example, Uruguay got its independence from Brazil) don't have a general anti-Spanish feeling.

Countries usually develop a general resentment whenever they had to fight very hard to gain their independence, that's how it usually goes. For example, in Panama there's a much more general anti-Colombian attitude than anti-Spanish, but they got their independence from Colombia, not Spain.

Also, in some Latin American countries the political class have used the Spanish and the Spanish colonial period as a scapegoat for their current social and economic problems, even though most of Latin America has been free of Spanish rule for more than 150/200 years. They are also blind to the fact that different countries in Latin America have different levels of standard of living and even some countries, such as Argentina, were among the richest and most developed countries in the world at the end of the 19th Century and beginning of the 20th. The fact that all Latin American countries are not equal and many even reached the zenith of development is proof in itself that the colonial period doesn't explains the mismanagement countries such as Argentina has suffer in the last century or so.

Basically, Spain and the colonial times is not responsible for the mismanagement many of these countries have suffered since they became independent, they did that on their own; but, its better to blame it on someone else than accept responsibility.

Look at Singapore. They were a colony of Britain and once they became independent they went from being one of the poorest places on earth to one of the richest thanks to good policies put in place by their political class. There's not much they can either blame or thank the British for, their success was created by their own selves. In a similar fashion, India's backwardness is also not the fault of the British colonial period, its the result of bad Indian policies. The success of the USA is also no the responsibility of the British, but of US political decisions.

In Puerto Rico there's a slight anti-Spanish attitude and the most common explanation for it is that Spain didn't developed Puerto Rico as the USA did. But in reality, Spain couldn't develop Puerto Rico because at the time PR became a USA colony (1898), Spain herself was not a developed country. Spain began to truly develop in the 1960s. Had Puerto Rico remained as a part of Spain throughout the 20th Century, today PR would had been much more developed anyway. Look at the Canary Islands, Melilla, Ceuta; all of these places are off the Spanish mainland and they have become increasingly developed as Spain herself became developed. There's no reason to believe that the same wouldn't had happened to Puerto Rico. The difference that would existed is that PR would had been developed along the European ways and not so much along the US ways.

Last edited by AntonioR; 08-24-2013 at 11:44 AM..

Old 08-24-2013, 12:02 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,248,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Not all countries in Latin America suffer from a general anti-Spanish attitude. It depends on the history of each country and whether or not they had to fight very hard to win their independence from Spain. The countries that did usually have resentments towards Spain, while the countries that got their independence rather easily from Spain or even from another country in this hemisphere (for example, Uruguay got its independence from Brazil) don't have a general anti-Spanish feeling.

Countries usually develop a general resentment whenever they had to fight very hard to gain their independence, that's how it usually goes. For example, in Panama there's a much more general anti-Colombian attitude than anti-Spanish, but they got their independence from Colombia, not Spain.

Also, in some Latin American countries the political class have used the Spanish and the Spanish colonial period as a scapegoat for their current social and economic problems, even though most of Latin America has been free of Spanish rule for more than 150/200 years. They are also blind to the fact that different countries in Latin America have different levels of standard of living and even some countries, such as Argentina, were among the richest and most developed countries in the world at the end of the 19th Century and beginning of the 20th. The fact that all Latin American countries are not equal and many even reached the zenith of development is proof in itself that the colonial period doesn't explains the mismanagement countries such as Argentina has suffer in the last century or so.

Basically, Spain and the colonial times is not responsible for the mismanagement many of these countries have suffered since they became independent, they did that on their own; but, its better to blame it on someone else than accept responsibility.

Look at Singapore. They were a colony of Britain and once they became independent they went from being one of the poorest places on earth to one of the richest thanks to good policies put in place by their political class. There's not much they can either blame or thank the British for, their success was created by their own selves. In a similar fashion, India's backwardness is also not the fault of the British colonial period, its the result of bad Indian policies. The success of the USA is also no the responsibility of the British, but of US political decisions.

In Puerto Rico there's a slight anti-Spanish attitude and the most common explanation for it is that Spain didn't developed Puerto Rico as the USA did. But in reality, Spain couldn't develop Puerto Rico because at the time PR became a USA colony (1898), Spain herself was not a developed country. Spain began to truly develop in the 1960s. Had Puerto Rico remained as a part of Spain throughout the 20th Century, today PR would had been much more developed anyway. Look at the Canary Islands, Melilla, Ceuta; all of these places are off the Spanish mainland and they have become increasingly developed as Spain herself became developed. There's no reason to believe that the same wouldn't had happened to Puerto Rico. The difference that would existed is that PR would had been developed along the European ways and not so much along the US ways.
Yet another great post from you!

Old 08-24-2013, 10:10 PM

79 posts, read 386,924 times
they invaded my country, raped and killed my people, took our original language from us and forced us to speak Spanish, and they are so cocky when you visit their country, they think they are better than you just because they are lighter and they see hispanics as being inferior, I refuse to speak their language even though it's the official language of the country I was born in

Old 08-25-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusnred View Post
they invaded my country, raped and killed my people, took our original language from us and forced us to speak Spanish, and they are so cocky when you visit their country, they think they are better than you just because they are lighter and they see hispanics as being inferior, I refuse to speak their language even though it's the official language of the country I was born in
well I would say this is justifiable. Though I think Spanish is a beautiful language, I can't stand people with a superiority complex. The people who are full of pride and arrogance, these people I feel sorry for because these people are actually insecure and have self esteem problems.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:42 AM

205 posts, read 516,965 times
There are almost no Mexicans in Spain, I own a hotel-restaurant business and I have not had many Mexican clients. Mexicans in Spain are quite well-off, well dressed and they spend lots of money in luxury shops. I don't think there's a superiority complex against those Mexicans, because Mexicans in Spain are mostly descendants of Spanish, they all look Northern Spanish.

Spanish love to imitate the Mexican accent, but that's not an insult, just that Mexicans are very popular, lots of Mexican soap operas and most love to try "their Mexican".

I guess that those people that felt aggraviated were Mexican-Americans, Mexicans from Mexico have a similar character and they are very friendly.

I'd say that those Mexicans have more possibilities of scoring women that a regular Spanish under the same circunstances. I'd say that Mexicans are more popular in Catalonia that say, Andalusians, Castilians or Americans.

Spanish in Mexico and their descendants are the richest in Latin America, they do come to Spain frequently, in many cases in their third and fourth generations. There's a town in Galicia called Avion visited by Mexicans of Spanish extraction, because a good deal of them are originary from that town.

Genoveva Casanova, a famous Mexican woman married to the Alba family, the family with more nobility titles in Europe.gl

Old 08-25-2013, 10:22 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,058,408 times
In what way do Puerto Ricans and Mexicans have an animosity towards each other?

Old 08-25-2013, 10:51 AM

9,744 posts, read 20,658,454 times
Interesting posts, I thought they'd be friendly with each other. I suppose one difference between Mexico and the US is that Mexico still has a lot of indigenous ancestry, so there would be people resentful of the colonial takeover of their country by Spain. Most are of course part Spanish themselves so they can never escape that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas