U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What impression do you now have of Lima?
Surpasses my initial expectations! 4 30.77%
It looks pretty much as I imagine it! 8 61.54%
Not as nice as I expected! 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 14 days ago)

5,179 posts, read 8,027,180 times

Advertisements

I had not noticed that most of Lima has been photographed and is now available on Google Street View.

What do you think of the city? Does it meets, surpasses, or falls short of your expectations?

Everyone should check out a few places within the city on their own, but in the mean time here are a few I suggest (remember to move the yellow doll on the map in the lower right corner to see different areas, also use the compass on the upper left corner to turn the camera around):

Downtown

Miraflores

San Isidro

Surquillo

Surco

La Molina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 14 days ago)

5,179 posts, read 8,027,180 times
Some extra information I found about Lima:

Has a population of 7-8 million people.

It was founded in 1535.

For most of its history it was one of the richest cities in the Western Hemisphere.

It hardly ever rains. The "rainy" season consist of a mist that covers the city for months.

The climate is not tropical at all, despite it's well within the tropics and in one of the driest deserts on earth.

It has the largest Chinese community in Latin America.

More than half of Peru's economy is produced and consumed in Lima itself.

Lima is the 5th largest city in the Western Hemisphere, surpassed only by Bogota (Colombia), New York City, Mexico City, and Sao Paulo (Brazil).

Old 09-06-2013, 03:19 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
For some reason, the entire square kilometer around the Cathedral and Plaza de Armas is not
covered. Otherwise, every street in Lima looks exactly the same, just like when you are there on the ground.

Quite a few Peruvian cities are covered. I checked out a couple of my favorites, Chiclayo (covered) and Moquegua (not covered).

Last edited by jtur88; 09-06-2013 at 03:30 PM..

Old 09-06-2013, 03:25 PM

830 posts, read 2,075,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Some extra information I found about Lima:

Has a population of 7-8 million people.

It was founded in 1535.

For most of its history it was one of the richest cities in the Western Hemisphere.

It hardly ever rains. The "rainy" season consist of a mist that covers the city for months.

The climate is not tropical at all, despite it's well within the tropics and in one of the driest deserts on earth.

It has the largest Chinese community in Latin America.

More than half of Peru's economy is produced and consumed in Lima itself.

Lima is the 5th largest city in the Western Hemisphere, surpassed only by Bogota (Colombia), New York City, Mexico City, and Sao Paulo (Brazil).
I haven't looked at the shots yet, but I just wanted to point out that Buenos Aires is larger than Lima in population, it's also larger than Bogotá actually.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:24 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
Nice to see, also, a lot more of Chile. Now, my old house in Chile is visible from down at the corner . . .
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Quint...32.67,,3,-2.68

I spent a year there, with an unobstructed view of the Pacific.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:38 PM

783 posts, read 893,308 times
Thanks, I can see my Penthouse in Miraflores!

Old 09-06-2013, 08:11 PM

606 posts, read 525,494 times
It's a good city but i expected a little more, i found a big extension of miserable people that i tought it wouldn't be that big.
I loved some buildings.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:18 PM

5,899 posts, read 8,412,321 times
Thanks for posting the link!

that was interesting.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:11 AM

671 posts, read 823,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I had not noticed that most of Lima has been photographed and is now available on Google Street View.

What do you think of the city? Does it meets, surpasses, or falls short of your expectations?

Everyone should check out a few places within the city on their own, but in the mean time here are a few I suggest (remember to move the yellow doll on the map in the lower right corner to see different areas, also use the compass on the upper left corner to turn the camera around):

Downtown

Miraflores

San Isidro

Surquillo

Surco

La Molina
It's very nice, the architecture is beautiful and the city appears to be very clean. However traffic looks like a challenge . Thanks for the links.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,611 times
im peruvian and proud of my country we have what other countries wish they had
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas