Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 03:35 PM

308 posts, read 500,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I heard that a lot of Puerto Ricans in PR are very hostile to the illegal and legal Dominicans on the island.
Yes a lot of PRs are hostile towards Dominicans. Some have even said that Dominicans are blackening their island lol. Before many Cubans immigrated to PR, but Dominicans are the biggest foreign group in PR.

It has been documented that in many cases many black Puerto Rican PR citizens have been stopped and frisked and questioned and harassed and detained or taken into custody if they don't have proper identification on them and ASSumed to be Dominican illegals and foreigners. That's how serious and crazy the issue is. It's very similar to what goes on with Haitians in the DR.

AS some say, ppl reap what they sow

Old 09-30-2013, 05:31 PM

10,086 posts, read 14,959,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
Pfft! Ha!..... Puerto Rico has a big issue and problem with illegal Dominican immigration. Many Dominicans flee DR on yola boats which is often dangerous. In fact Dominicans in PR mirrors the Haitians migrations to DR issue.

Many other islands have illegal Dominican Republic immigrants though.

Also another example are Colombians. Many Colombian refugees and illegal Colombians often immigrate to Panama, Ecuador, and Venezuela among other places.
I know that, but the Dominican immigrant population in Puerto Rico probably doesn't even amounts to 5% of all Dominican emigrants and much less than that on the total Dominican population. The bulk of Dominican emigrants are found in the USA and in Spain. Everywhere else its much less and according to the US officials themselves, Dominicans have the lowest percentage of their population composed of illegals compared to most other Latino groups.

According to the US Census 2010, Dominicans in PR amounts to more or less 60,000 people. That would be the equivalent of the whole population of the Punta Cana tourist district in the DR and all tourists areas in that country are home to less than 3% of the total population.

Also, the number of Dominicans leaving the DR in yolas has decreased substantially. This is why so far this year, the majority of people attempting to enter PR via DR illegally and in yolas are Haitians, which is worrying Puerto Rican and American officials because this is a never before seen tendency.

I wouldn't say the Dominican migration issue in PR mirrors the Haitian migration issue in DR. By actual government estimates, the Haitian population in DR makes up 5% of the total population while the Dominican population in PR doesn't even amounts to 2%. If Dominican immigrants in PR would had been as high as Haitian immigrants in DR, Puerto Ricans would be suffering a society wide nervous breakdown judging by how many are acting now with less than 2% of the population actually being Dominican.

But Puerto Rico should brace itself for what the DR, Cuba, the Bahamas, and the Turks and Caicos islands have been suffering for decades, and that is massive Haitian illegal immigration. I'm sure Dominicans will do absolutely nothing to stop the flow of Haitians leaving their country towards PR.

Lastly, lets not forget the emigration problem that Puerto Rico itself has been facing. It was one of only a handful US territories/states that actually registered a decrease of its population, thanks overwhelmingly to massive emigration to the US mainland. As of right now, more than half of all Puerto Ricans don't even live in Puerto Rico and this figure is expected to grow.

Last edited by AntonioR; 09-30-2013 at 05:45 PM..

Old 11-05-2013, 08:59 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I know that, but the Dominican immigrant population in Puerto Rico probably doesn't even amounts to 5% of all Dominican emigrants and much less than that on the total Dominican population. The bulk of Dominican emigrants are found in the USA and in Spain. Everywhere else its much less and according to the US officials themselves, Dominicans have the lowest percentage of their population composed of illegals compared to most other Latino groups.

According to the US Census 2010, Dominicans in PR amounts to more or less 60,000 people. That would be the equivalent of the whole population of the Punta Cana tourist district in the DR and all tourists areas in that country are home to less than 3% of the total population.

Also, the number of Dominicans leaving the DR in yolas has decreased substantially. This is why so far this year, the majority of people attempting to enter PR via DR illegally and in yolas are Haitians, which is worrying Puerto Rican and American officials because this is a never before seen tendency.

I wouldn't say the Dominican migration issue in PR mirrors the Haitian migration issue in DR. By actual government estimates, the Haitian population in DR makes up 5% of the total population while the Dominican population in PR doesn't even amounts to 2%. If Dominican immigrants in PR would had been as high as Haitian immigrants in DR, Puerto Ricans would be suffering a society wide nervous breakdown judging by how many are acting now with less than 2% of the population actually being Dominican.

But Puerto Rico should brace itself for what the DR, Cuba, the Bahamas, and the Turks and Caicos islands have been suffering for decades, and that is massive Haitian illegal immigration. I'm sure Dominicans will do absolutely nothing to stop the flow of Haitians leaving their country towards PR.

Lastly, lets not forget the emigration problem that Puerto Rico itself has been facing. It was one of only a handful US territories/states that actually registered a decrease of its population, thanks overwhelmingly to massive emigration to the US mainland. As of right now, more than half of all Puerto Ricans don't even live in Puerto Rico and this figure is expected to grow.
Puerto Rico still has issues with Dominican migrations. Its still a phenomenon mired and drenched in controversy etc.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:40 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
I'm sure the Dominican government doesn't care if all the illegal Dominicans elsewhere were to be deported back to the DR.

How ever the DR allowed these people to live there because they were cheap labor for the elites. Its ridiculous to then retroactively strip people who are 80 years old from being citizens. For some one whose parents and grandparents were born in the DR to deport them is inhumane.

Illegal immigration from Haiti has long been encouraged by certain interests in the DR, and indeed has been a source of income for certain corrupt govt officials. So the DR elite needs to decide what it wants. No illegals and then having to pay higher salaries. Or using Haitians as a scape goat while they dont care the slightest about poor Dominicans.

I can only imagine the furor if the USA did this to Mexicans. The DR did the anti immigrant segment of the Tea partiers a huge favor.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
Yes a lot of PRs are hostile towards Dominicans. Some have even said that Dominicans are blackening their island lol. Before many Cubans immigrated to PR, but Dominicans are the biggest foreign group in PR.

It has been documented that in many cases many black Puerto Rican PR citizens have been stopped and frisked and questioned and harassed and detained or taken into custody if they don't have proper identification on them and ASSumed to be Dominican illegals and foreigners. That's how serious and crazy the issue is. It's very similar to what goes on with Haitians in the DR.

AS some say, ppl reap what they sow

Before passports or other govt issued ID were required for travel between the USA and PR I always used to ensure that I had, because almost every time I was stopped when entering the departure area. This because they assumed that I am Dominican. I can only imagine what would have happened if all I had was my plane ticket, even if it showed travel originating in NYC.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I'm sure Dominicans will do absolutely nothing to stop the flow of Haitians leaving their country towards PR.

It would be good if they stopped Haitians from entering the DR illegally, instead of winking about it and then humiliating people, who only know the DR, for populist reasons. Yes The DR has a huge problem with uncontrolled immigration fr0om Haiti, that because it is a failed state. This is different totally from 200,000 Dominicans whose grand parents entered in 1930 or even 1960.

You know the Tea Party is already juicing up those Americans who live in "terror" of a Hispanic take over. That Arizona governor must be giddy with glee.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:29 PM

10,086 posts, read 14,959,511 times
More than 90% of Haitians and their descendants in the DR arrived in the late 1980s onwards and did so on their own.

Also, the Supreme Court only has clarification capabilities, not retroactive. The only thing the court did with clear up once again what every Dominican constitution since 1929 has said, that those born to people in transit (term that include illegal immigrants) are not entitled to Dominican citizenship, but rather to the citizenship of their parents. Also, any identity documents adquired fraudulently are void. Most of those Haitians that thought had Dominican citizenship in reality they never had it because they didn't qualify.

What the Constitution Tribunal ordered was to put an end to the confusion by revising the Civil Registry from 1929 to 2007 for all the people registered illegally. Then, once they are identified, the legal status of the generation that migrated illegally or with a temp permit and stayed illegally, will be legalized and their descendants, due to the absoption clause in the law, will automatically receive a legitimate Dominican citizenship.

Those that qualify for this amounts to some 26,000 people from over 100 nationalities, but of those some 14,000 are Haitian. A grace period will be given for those identified inthe Civil Registry to start their regularization process. Those that don't start the process (and those that are not in the Civil Registry) once the grace period is over, will be subject to deportation.

The court ruling is actually legitimately dominicanizing those Haitians with fraudulent documents and many decades in the DR.

The anti-Dominican campaign that has been spread internationally and based on misinformation, exaggerated numbers, and and outright lies is just that, an attempt at discrediting the Dominican government.

The UN and the European Union already looked into the process and due to that, became aware all the lies many NGOs and the Haitian diplomats have been spreading around the world in an attempt to discredit the DR. The UN and the EU now support the Dominican regularization process.

Such a shame so many people have been dooped in this and are reacting based on half truth and incorrect assumptions.

In anycase, all rulings from the Supreme Court and the Constitutional Tribunal are not reversible, they are fi al and can't be appealed.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Before passports or other govt issued ID were required for travel between the USA and PR I always used to ensure that I had, because almost every time I was stopped when entering the departure area. This because they assumed that I am Dominican. I can only imagine what would have happened if all I had was my plane ticket, even if it showed travel originating in NYC.
Interesting. Supposedly, many innocent black Puerto Ricans have been stopped and frisked in PR because it's assumed they might be illegal Dominican immigrants if the black PRs don't have their identification or forms of ID on them.

It's very similar to how Haitians are treated in the DR as well as some black Dominicans in the Dominican Republic (DR).

Old 11-08-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
More than 90% of Haitians and their descendants in the DR arrived in the late 1980s onwards and did so on their own.

Also, the Supreme Court only has clarification capabilities, not retroactive. The only thing the court did with clear up once again what every Dominican constitution since 1929 has said, that those born to people in transit (term that include illegal immigrants) are not entitled to Dominican citizenship, but rather to the citizenship of their parents. Also, any identity documents adquired fraudulently are void. Most of those Haitians that thought had Dominican citizenship in reality they never had it because they didn't qualify.

What the Constitution Tribunal ordered was to put an end to the confusion by revising the Civil Registry from 1929 to 2007 for all the people registered illegally. Then, once they are identified, the legal status of the generation that migrated illegally or with a temp permit and stayed illegally, will be legalized and their descendants, due to the absoption clause in the law, will automatically receive a legitimate Dominican citizenship.

Those that qualify for this amounts to some 26,000 people from over 100 nationalities, but of those some 14,000 are Haitian. A grace period will be given for those identified inthe Civil Registry to start their regularization process. Those that don't start the process (and those that are not in the Civil Registry) once the grace period is over, will be subject to deportation.

The court ruling is actually legitimately dominicanizing those Haitians with fraudulent documents and many decades in the DR.

The anti-Dominican campaign that has been spread internationally and based on misinformation, exaggerated numbers, and and outright lies is just that, an attempt at discrediting the Dominican government.

The UN and the European Union already looked into the process and due to that, became aware all the lies many NGOs and the Haitian diplomats have been spreading around the world in an attempt to discredit the DR. The UN and the EU now support the Dominican regularization process.

Such a shame so many people have been dooped in this and are reacting based on half truth and incorrect assumptions.

In anycase, all rulings from the Supreme Court and the Constitutional Tribunal are not reversible, they are fi al and can't be appealed.
There were Haitians and descendants of Haitians in the Dominican Republic (DR) long before the 1980s. Haitians, legal and illegal had been crossing the border into DR and back and forth to Haiti and vice versa since the colonial period.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:

Also, Haiti doesn't have a jus soli law implemented in it's borders right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas