Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stronger African culture?
Black Americans 15 22.39%
Afro-Latinos 52 77.61%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 11:17 AM

308 posts, read 498,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
^

If you applied U.S racial standards to Latin countries how black would they then be?
The U.S. Racial standards is not as rigid as one might think. Race politics has always been very hypocritical and based on a case by case basis. More than 1/3 of U.S. Whites had detectable and notable black African ancestry.

Next, Hispanics/Latinos have an escape hatch which allows them to avoid race classification in the USA. It all has to do with politics, labels and semantics.

It's not all as complicated or set in stone as many claim as there are always many caveats etc.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Exactly, Blacks are small minority in most Latin countries. I don't why some people have a hard time getting that through their thick skulls. The African influence is only present in select places. The problem is people see caribbean latinos and think they represent all Latinos, and have the nerve to say that the Americns would be "uncultured" if it wasn't for Africans, and other ignorant comments. Africans enriched many cultures around Latin America, but they are not the majority, Far from it. Latinos have way more Native and European influence.

It funny because Canada has had black people since it was a colony, first the French then the British. And Canada probably has more blacks then most Latin Countries, yet we don't see certain people obsessing over Canadians and saying their culture is really black. Why do some people feel the need to constantly attack Latin Americans? Probably insecurity about their own culture and inferiority complex about their own culture, thats the only explanation.
Actually, Africans have heavily influenced Latin American cultures. It's heavier in certain areas of each nation but it has incorporated contributions in mainstream cultures of each Latin American nation.

I'd argue that African influence is just as equal to Native American influences and European influences in Latin America, with European influence being the pervasive base among the general mainstream nations. It's a big mix.

This can be said for USA and Canada as well.

USA has a more heavier African influence than many want to realize or underestimate. Overall, it's all a big mix of things,

Old 10-04-2013, 12:19 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,372,649 times
Several years ago, I wrote the following regarding a visit to Africa which I made so long ago. It describes what I and others felt in our hearts:

I was a mere 20 year old U.S. Navy Sailor when I found myself at sea in the Indian Ocean. Because we had been at sea for 36 consecutive days, our ship was starting to run low on fuel and essential supplies. The closest friendly port at the time was Mombasa Kenya. As soon as permission was granted, our ship sailed towards that coastal Kenyan city. Initially, no one knew exactly where we were headed. But, as soon as the word got out, there was this feeling of absolute elation amongst those of us of African-American descent and myself. Although many of my African-American shipmates didn't know I had African blood in me, I was sure to let them know how proud and fortunate I felt, and how our elation was mutual. We'd smile at each other in a curious sort of way. We were on our way to the proverbial Motherland; the land of our Ancestors and the very craddle of humanity.

Unfortunately, immediately upon arrival, my division was responsible for the critical task of taking on fuel. This kept our group on board an extra 12 hours. The next day our division was granted early liberty given the prior day's 12 hour ordeal. I set foot on the pier with my shipmates and purposely took a deep breath as we walked into town. I was a bit surprised at the number of foreigners I saw and British accents I heard. But nevertheless, I knew where I was. I knew that the air in my lungs and the soil beneath my feet was African. I was there. I had arrived at that far away place frequently alluded to by my father and my father's father.

"Yambo, yambo. . .hey brader, we same color!" I'll never forget the words of a statue and efigy vendor I met. Both he and I were all smiles. He (of course) smiled to sell his wares. I smiled simply because it felt good to hear those words coming from a native Kenyan. Although I was just a few shades lighter, I felt so proud to hear that man call me brother, and tell me that we were of the same color. I offered him a Camel cigarrette which he kindly accepted. As we smoked, I analyzed several of his hand carved figures. I was truly impressed with the craftsmanship and bought two intricately carved masks and two 8 inch tall figurines, all made from dense mahogany.

We spent a total of six days in Mombasa and I felt gifted by God himself for this unforgettable experience. Sadly, several of my African-American shipmates did not faire as well. Many were shunned by the native Kenyans. Despite that, I am sure that a certain void in our souls was made whole. That curious void found deep in my sub-conscious was finally satisfied. I can proudly say: "I've set foot on African soil."

Old 10-04-2013, 12:29 PM

7,512 posts, read 11,312,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
Also in Panama, the label black has often been reserved for blacks of West Indian descent in Panama, while colonial blacks in Panama, which are Panamanian blacks descended from colonial era Spanish speaking slaves enslaved in Panama/Colombia may not be automatically percieved as or with the label of black.
Then how are native Afro-Panamanians being counted?

Old 10-04-2013, 12:42 PM

7,512 posts, read 11,312,200 times
Quote:
That Panamanian man could have meant something else since the label black could be contextual or cultural or interpreted as meaning African American.
I can see that but my little issue with that guy was that he seemed to be so surprised that he was viewed as black outside of Panama. He should have known that in the broader world that people are going to view him as a black person. Has he been that isolated from the broader world??

Are native indians in Panama surprised when people view them as indians?

Old 10-04-2013, 02:28 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,328,045 times
Quote:

I'd argue that African influence is just as equal to Native American influences and European influences in Latin America, with European influence being the pervasive base among the general mainstream nations. It's a big mix.
No one is denying there is African Influence, specially in the Caribbean area, but to say it is equal to European or Native is way off, Its not even close.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antillano89 View Post
Which one of these two groups do you believe has the strongest influences from Africa? That is culturally, not just in terms of race/admixture.
This thread is reaching a bit, but nonetheless still interesting so I can't really complain lol. It's great to have this conversation to teach as well as learn, instead of sweeping it under the rug.

I think what we need to consider is what exactly defines what African is? African people and and African culture before their arrival post 1492 to the Western Hemisphere already had significant admixture with Arab and Asian and European cultures through mixing, and cultural exchange, and indentured servitude and slave trading. Also culture is always evolving and adding new elements that over time become solidified as being part of that culture etc.*

So with all of that being said, what is the starting point or ending point to what one can call or consider to be an African cultural vestige?

For example, in the Jewish diaspora every place of the world has 1 or more distinct Jewish groups or Jewish cultural populations. One is not more Jewish than the other.*

With African Americans and Afro Latinos one is not necessarily more or less "African" than the other. Also, one only need to do further analysis and deeper studying of African American material culture and deep traditions and see that much of it is very African. It's just that with migration and time many of the more heavy Africanized traditions may have been abandoned as AAs migrated to more urban cities or they might not have time to celebrate those traditions anymore or they adapt or reconfigure new one's. There are many areas where AAs practice many African influenced traditions that mainstream and/or other groups of ppl (including AAs) dont even know about.

For example there is African contribution that came about through or via North Africa etc.

Also AAs are not homogenous. We have to keep in mind the political semantics and each context and complexities as well as the different regions.

If one would study AA culture and peoples more in depth you'll see that it's African all in it's own way (with of course influences from others like European and Native among others depending on context)

Also, even in Latin American countries, many blacks and Afrodescendants have abandoned or don't always hold onto their African traditions that were practiced and passed down as they often migrate to the cities or they adapt new traditions or become more assimilated or as one doesn't have time to hold onto certain traditions.

Many ppl are not about traditions anymore.*

It almost seems as if people expect one to be African or very African only if they chuck spears and eat Cheetahs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and drink cattle **** *rolls eyes*.*

USA has many African influences more than one is willing to admit or realize or underestimate. The term yams, goober, and even the word OK are said to derive from Africa.

Banjo is derived from African instruments. The first cowboys and aspects of cultivations are said to be derived and heavily influenced by Africans.

Many African Americans maintain and STILL practice African cultures that still exist, many of you probably just haven't heard of it or seen it (yet). If you go to various pockets of African Americans, many still have traditions that are very African and/or have an African cultural spirit at heart.

Also there has always been a long history of the cultural misappropriation of black culture, where traditions derived from blacks become repackaged under a different name, with credit not given to it's actual and rightful progenitors and creators.*

But nonetheless the USA is very culturally mixed. African Americans are just as American as any other American.

And hip hop did not really develop from African Americans but more so from West Indians in the states and some Latinos in Bronx NYC and has African influence from toasting rhythms of West Africa, as well as some Jamaican influences.

African Americans/Black Americans and Afro Latinos have influenced each other along the way however so we can't forget that as well.

I'm not sure if Gullah's should or could be considered AAs but they have a culture that is distinct all on it's own and it retains lots of Africanisms and African cultural and linguistic patterns.

Some might include Louisiana Creoles but they can be of any race and are a cultural and ethnic group. Not all LC's have black in them and NOT all LC's are light skinned are mixed. There are black Creoles, white Creoles, and even Native American Creoles. Traditional languages of LC's are French Creole, French, and Spanish, and there are even some pockets that are said to have maintained Spanish Creoles.

Alabama, and Mississippi, and Texas and Florida have African descent populations that also coincide with a historical Latin cultural synthesis context and colonial base. In fact in Africatown Alabama, and areas in and around and just outside of Mobile, Alabama, one can find communities and descendants of slaves brought on a slave ship that imported slaves (said to be from Ghana) and the ship sailed inland and they let the Africans go free so they ran into this area of Alabama. They were brought there in 1859 or 1860, and their descendants still live there in large numbers scattered out.

Another area is the Mississippi Delta although that coincides with history I wouldn't label as AA, due to it's historical Latin, and Creole context. Hoodoo is popular among some in some areas of the gulf states. This is not exactly the same thing as Voodoo.

The term AA perhaps can denote those from the 13 original colonies and their descendants.

Also AA and black do NOT mean the same thing. AA's are an ETHNIC group. NOT a racial one. AAs can be of any race. Most AAs however are a very racially mixed people.

Some AAs have NO African ancestry at all. There have been AAs that have found that they didn't have any black in them at all.

Another thing to notice or mention is that Afro Latino and black do NOT mean the same thing. Afrodescendant and black does NOT mean the same thing either.

Something I remember reading on another site to consider:

"Here is a controversial topic. Afro-Latinos. Many equate it to Black Latinos. Others see it as Latino Afrodescendientes of all looks. For me, as Latino is an ethnic term, Afro-Latino is such as well. A Latino who has strong African ties in his culture/heritage. Not all Latino Afrodescendientes are Afro-Latino. Many have been completely absorbed by the mainstream. But here is a consideration, many Latinos that are not Afrodescendientes, especially in places like Cuba, adopted African practices, like Santeria, or joining societies like Abakuá and Ékpè. We could argue that many are Afro-Latinos as well. Their culture and identity is definitely Latino with heavy African overtones."

The historical and social experiences of African Americans is really not all that different as some seem to make it out to be however. Slavery was NOT racial anyways. In the USA slavery was maternal and based on partus sequitur venentrum.

The whole aspect of AA ethnic identity does not come about until after the Jim Crow era began to dismantle and end in the 1960s.

With Latin America, we also have to remember that the region is NOT homogenous or a monolith. We have to look at each nation and even internally within each nation as well as it's specific and unique circumstances and contexts.

At the same token, one needs to look at each part of the USA and it's different and unique regional histories. It's much more complex than ppl want to admit. It might even be more complex than "Latin America". But my main point is that let's dig deeper.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Several years ago, I wrote the following regarding a visit to Africa which I made so long ago. It describes what I and others felt in our hearts:

I was a mere 20 year old U.S. Navy Sailor when I found myself at sea in the Indian Ocean. Because we had been at sea for 36 consecutive days, our ship was starting to run low on fuel and essential supplies. The closest friendly port at the time was Mombasa Kenya. As soon as permission was granted, our ship sailed towards that coastal Kenyan city. Initially, no one knew exactly where we were headed. But, as soon as the word got out, there was this feeling of absolute elation amongst those of us of African-American descent and myself. Although many of my African-American shipmates didn't know I had African blood in me, I was sure to let them know how proud and fortunate I felt, and how our elation was mutual. We'd smile at each other in a curious sort of way. We were on our way to the proverbial Motherland; the land of our Ancestors and the very craddle of humanity.

Unfortunately, immediately upon arrival, my division was responsible for the critical task of taking on fuel. This kept our group on board an extra 12 hours. The next day our division was granted early liberty given the prior day's 12 hour ordeal. I set foot on the pier with my shipmates and purposely took a deep breath as we walked into town. I was a bit surprised at the number of foreigners I saw and British accents I heard. But nevertheless, I knew where I was. I knew that the air in my lungs and the soil beneath my feet was African. I was there. I had arrived at that far away place frequently alluded to by my father and my father's father.

"Yambo, yambo. . .hey brader, we same color!" I'll never forget the words of a statue and efigy vendor I met. Both he and I were all smiles. He (of course) smiled to sell his wares. I smiled simply because it felt good to hear those words coming from a native Kenyan. Although I was just a few shades lighter, I felt so proud to hear that man call me brother, and tell me that we were of the same color. I offered him a Camel cigarrette which he kindly accepted. As we smoked, I analyzed several of his hand carved figures. I was truly impressed with the craftsmanship and bought two intricately carved masks and two 8 inch tall figurines, all made from dense mahogany.

We spent a total of six days in Mombasa and I felt gifted by God himself for this unforgettable experience. Sadly, several of my African-American shipmates did not faire as well. Many were shunned by the native Kenyans. Despite that, I am sure that a certain void in our souls was made whole. That curious void found deep in my sub-conscious was finally satisfied. I can proudly say: "I've set foot on African soil."
Most African descendants in the diaspora in the Western Hemisphere are descendants of West Africans and Central Africans, NOT East Africans or Kenyans.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Then how are native Afro-Panamanians being counted?
Good question. The thing is that in most nations outside of the USA people don't necessarily think about race so inherently as one does. Even in the USA the census is full of ****.

In the 2010 census of Panama they stressed the so called "importance" of documenting and tabulating and acknowleding the African and indigenous/Native American presences, since over the past decade there has been increasing attention on race in Latin America.

In the 2010 census only about 8% or 9% was tabulated as being Afrodescendant or black. The majority designation that was marked under the Afrodescendant category was "Afro-Colonial". So the majority of Afrodescendants in Panama are of Afro-colonial origins. However there are also still a sizable minority of Afrodescendants that are of West Indian descent. West Indian descendants descend from more recent arrivals, mainly within the last century. There are also many black Colombians in Panama as well. In fact Colombians in general have always been the largest foreign and immigrant group in Panama. There are many Dominicans as well in Panama.

Afro colonials go all the way back to as early as the year 1500. Slavery was abolished in Panama in 1851/1852. Panama was part of Colombia until recently.

I think also part of the problem is the misusage of the term "antillano" and it's misapplication. The term means Antillean but it has in turn often been associated with some black political agenda or movement in Panama, and thus outsiders as well as ppl in Panama have wrongly applied it to Colonial blacks and descendants of colonial blacks in Panama, thus silencing colonial blacks and sweeping colonial blacks voices under the rug. Many ppl don't even know what the term antillano means but often wrongly use it or apply it to others or even themselves out of ignorance because of the flawed and questionable semantics of this term. Many aspects of Afro colonial culture and history have been given the label of "antillano" due to ppl and data often focusing on West Indian descendants in Panama.

If you look at the CIA World Facts demographics report or even Encarta or travel books, it mentions nothing about the contribution of or substantial presence of the original black Panamanians, but mentions West Indians. The CIA demographics on Panama are exteremely wrong, especially in regards to blacks and Afrodescendants. The figure is also wring because a very significant portion of the ethnic West Indian populations of Panama have left in a large exodus en masse mainly to New York City, Florida, California, but also Texas, Washington DC and other places. Some even went to the UK. This is why people also have misconceptions about Panamanians and even other groups, because they go by what they see in the USA, and often don't travel or they dong do enough deep(er research) or listen to or watch or read very bias and flawed inaccurate information.

Come to think about it, it is similar in nature to how "black" has often been used in Dominican Republic to mean Haitians, even though there are plenty of blacks in DR descended from the first original black Dominicans, that have absolutely no ties or connections with Haiti.

Even in Cuba, there are some that try to say that the blacks in Cuba are not true Cubans and that they are Jamaican and/or Haitian or from some other island.

In Bolivia, many blacks are ASSumed to be illegal foreigners from Brazil, Colombia, or even Venezuela.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I can see that but my little issue with that guy was that he seemed to be so surprised that he was viewed as black outside of Panama. He should have known that in the broader world that people are going to view him as a black person. Has he been that isolated from the broader world??

Are native indians in Panama surprised when people view them as indians?
Again, he might have seemed out of place because of context or maybe it's a language perception barrier. Black to him and many others means African American.

And many times indigenous/Native Americans from Spanish speaking nations are not always singled out as Native American or indigenous because those phenotypical looks have often been associated with being Hispanic/Latino, and Spanish etc to many ppl in the USA, and to those that don't think through the complexity of the hypocritical and unequivocal and political semantics of these terms.

Perhaps he was considered something else in Panama or elsewhere in juxtaposition to the term "black" when he was growing up and living in Panama. At the end of the day, it's he/him who defines himself. Live and let live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas