U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region do you choose
South-Eastern US 5 29.41%
The Caribbean 12 70.59%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 06:15 PM

263 posts, read 654,961 times

Advertisements

Which region do you choose overall, using the following criteria.

Landscapes:
Climate:
Beaches:
Nightlife:
Vibrancy:
Culture:
Architecture:
Cuisine:
History:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 06:57 PM

5,360 posts, read 8,089,554 times
Landscapes: Caribbean
Climate: Caribbean
Beaches: Caribbean
Nightlife: Southeastern USA
Vibrancy: ?
Culture: Caribbean
Architecture: ?
Cuisine: Caribbean
History: Caribbean

PS. I don't know what exactly do you mean by vibrancy and in terms of architectures, there's quite a variety within both regions that its difficult to choose one over the other. Also, in the English parts of the Caribbean there's plenty of historical architecture that is not that different from the historical architecture found in much of the southeastern USA, probably because both had massive British influence.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
PS. I don't know what exactly do you mean by vibrancy and in terms of architectures, there's quite a variety within both regions that its difficult to choose one over the other. Also, in the English parts of the Caribbean there's plenty of historical architecture that is not that different from the historical architecture found in much of the southeastern USA, probably because both had massive British influence.
I would say there's "quite a bit" more variety in The Caribbean when it comes to architecture, actually. Like you said, you can find the type of architecture that's commonly present in southeast US in many parts of the English Caribbean. But where in the south can you find anything like the architecture found in Havana or San Juan for example? Not many places, I believe.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:05 PM

7,820 posts, read 2,490,580 times
Landscapes: Caribbean
Climate: Caribbean
Beaches: Caribbean
Nightlife: Caribbean
Vibrancy: Caribbean
Culture: Caribbean
Architecture: TIE
Cuisine: Caribbean
History: Caribbean

Old 10-08-2013, 08:33 PM

2,322 posts, read 3,024,009 times
Landscapes: Caribbean, it's more varied
Climate: SE US, I love heat and humidity but I like a break from it as well. There is still a change of seasons
Beaches: I'll give that to the Caribbean though I love the NC coast and FL.
Nightlife: SE US, um Miami!
Vibrancy: I have to give that to the Caribbean. Unless New Orleans was considered part of the SE ( then that could be included with S. FL) but I think it's a bit too far west.
Culture: I like the SE culture of the US
Architecture: I'll give that to the SE as well.
Cuisine: Another for the SE US
History: That would have to be a tie

Old 10-08-2013, 10:35 PM

16,447 posts, read 22,438,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Landscapes: Caribbean, it's more varied
Climate: SE US, I love heat and humidity but I like a break from it as well. There is still a change of seasons
Beaches: I'll give that to the Caribbean though I love the NC coast and FL.
Nightlife: SE US, um Miami!
Vibrancy: I have to give that to the Caribbean. Unless New Orleans was considered part of the SE ( then that could be included with S. FL) but I think it's a bit too far west.
Culture: I like the SE culture of the US
Architecture: I'll give that to the SE as well.
Cuisine: Another for the SE US
History: That would have to be a tie
Louisiana is always considered part of the southeast US.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:10 PM

2,322 posts, read 3,024,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Louisiana is always considered part of the southeast US.
I was thinking more in the literal terms, say from the FL/Alabama line eastward. Now, adding that area to Miami, Key West and the rest of S. FL well, I'll give the vibrancy to the SE US then.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I was thinking more in the literal terms, say from the FL/Alabama line eastward. Now, adding that area to Miami, Key West and the rest of S. FL well, I'll give the vibrancy to the SE US then.
Are there any other areas outside of S.Florida and Louisiana with that kind of vibrant pulse and culture though? New Orleans in particular almost looks like a Caribbean city transplanted in the deep south, it seems very unique compared to the surrounding areas.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:15 PM

This is the extent of the Southeastern United States. So outside of South Florida and New Orleans in Lousiana, are there any other places in the region with a comparable level of vibrancy?

Old 10-27-2013, 04:00 AM

2,241 posts, read 2,684,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antillano89 View Post
This is the extent of the Southeastern United States. So outside of South Florida and New Orleans in Lousiana, are there any other places in the region with a comparable level of vibrancy?

Mobile, Alabama has lots of colonial French and Spanish influences. Mississippi, Florida, and Louisiana and Alabama have very diverse and unique architecture that resembles French and Spanish influences given it's history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas