Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 12:14 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
You just love to **** in central america don't you. Well Nicaraguans would do good in easing up the border, it is the most pain in the ass border to cross in all of Central America. And for your information more Nicaraguans move out to neighboring countries more than others. Not just south either.
I can imagine why they would want a well protected border, have to keep the troublemakers from El Salvador and Honduras out. Nicaragua seems like a country with beautiful nature that is headed in the right direction, no need to ruin that or get involved with the bad kids to the north
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 12:24 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I can imagine why they would want a well protected border, have to keep the troublemakers from El Salvador and Honduras out. Nicaragua seems like a country with beautiful nature that is headed in the right direction, no need to ruin that or get involved with the bad kids to the north
Thats what Costa Ricans say about Nicaraguans. Hondurans and Salvadoreans do not move to Nicaragua, in fact the opposite is true. Not all Hondurans and Salvadoreans are bad people like you are suggesting. Those countries are also quite beautiful, its too bad Americans like yourself only see the bad. Seems pretty typical though.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 01-16-2018 at 12:44 AM..

Old 01-16-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Thats what Costa Ricans say about Nicaraguans. Hondurans and Salvadoreans do not move to Nicaragua, in fact the opposite is true. Not all Hondurans and Salvadoreans are bad people like you are suggesting. Those countries are also quite beautiful, its too bad Americans like yourself only see the bad. Seems pretty typical though.
I know not all of them are bad, in fact I think 99% of Hondurans and Salvadorans are good people, it's that 1% that are making it **** for everyone else. I've been to Honduras, so I know that it is a hellhole. Still the only place in Latin America that I've been to where security guards and the police are armed with shotguns. I think there is tremendous natural beauty in both countries, but until those countries manage to pull their s*** together I dont want to be in either one. Sorry but even the locals in Honduras tell you to never walk on the street by yourself if youre a foreigner, while in Peru and Chile you can walk wherever the hell you want and nobody will rob you

Old 01-16-2018, 11:28 AM

881 posts, read 923,137 times
maybe you weren't robbed in Peru or Chile but many people get robbed there on a daily basis, especially in Peru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
In Panama, there are banks from all over, not only from Colombia, so I hardly doubt that 30% of it is owned by Colombia
this is from 2013: http://www.portafolio.co/economia/fi...ombianos-81428

Quote:
if that would be the case, why don't they take all that investment into their own territory and do some business there, or would it be that Panama is a better and more appealing environment business wise.

investors make bussiness in different countries because it's a global economy and countries aren't closed entities.

Quote:
You will be surprised, if you were to pay regular fee, I don't think your ships would even consider using it and has nothing to do with your being such a good customer.
of course they would, they wouldn't have other choice. no ships go as far as the Strait of Magellan anymore.

Quote:
Hey, you have just mentioned the Pacific alliance, ask anyone in Panama if we even think or talk about it anymore. That idea is long gone and not thought about anymore.
it is a real and important purpose for your government:
http://laestrella.com.pa/economia/pa...ifico/24010000

Old 01-16-2018, 12:14 PM

Peru is a safe country. Its only bad when it comes to pickpocketing, which does happen all the time. But you won't get randomly assaulted on the street or kidnapped. While in parts of Mexico or Central America you read stories about buses being set on fire or finding graves of tortured victims. These horrors just dont happen in Peru or Chile

Old 01-16-2018, 02:01 PM

439 posts, read 522,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
maybe you weren't robbed in Peru or Chile but many people get robbed there on a daily basis, especially in Peru.

this is from 2013: 25,2 % de la banca panameña está en manos de colombianos | Finanzas | Economía | Portafolio

investors make bussiness in different countries because it's a global economy and countries aren't closed entities.

of course they would, they wouldn't have other choice. no ships go as far as the Strait of Magellan anymore.

it is a real and important purpose for your government:
Panamá quiere entrar a la Alianza del Pacífico
This is my last comment about this.

You said it, a report in a 2013 newspaper. Hello, it is 2018.

If you are so well and better off than Panama, you shouldn`t do any business with us, for you don`t need us.

Yes, they would go through, but I hardly doubt they would use it as much if they had to pay regular fee, like most countries do. BTW, if you are so well off, why do you need to pass your ships through here, when you can do it through your wonderful lalaland. Hmmmm like you do need Panama.

Did you read the person's comment at the end of that article? Hmmmm like it is not only my thought.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:10 PM

439 posts, read 522,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
That list is old. Go to the IMF page, they have released the new numbers for October 2017. Here are the new numbers

Panama $25.74k
Chile $25.43k
Uruguay $23.5k
Argentina $21.73k

And in the HDI department, Panama is ranked behind Chile, Uruguay, and Argentina, all three of which have lower GDP per capita. A country that has a high GDP per capita but relatively low HDI is usually a sign of a government that relies on taxes or oil too much, and that this money doesn't always come back to the people
Are you awared of the fact that Panama has only been in charge of its full economy for the last 17 years and these countries which you mentioned have done it for decades, yet, Panama in only 17 years surpassed them, think of what we will do in 10 or 20 more years.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:04 AM

308 posts, read 237,545 times
There will never be a united Central America, the countries are too different. Guatemala is still essentially a Mayan country,though a lot of Guatemalans sadly try to hide their Mayan ancestry,due to it being looked down upon in the country itself.The police,lots of whom are corrupt also discriminate,and the last thing anyone wants dealings with are Guatemalan police.They even make the street children "disappear" even in this day.

El Salvador and Honduras are a bit similar,El Salvador however is economically better off,uses the dollar as its currency (Honduras has Lempiras) and the infrastructure is usually better.

Nicaragua is lovely but economically the poorest,and in parts it really is bad.However Nicaraguans are almost without exception very friendly.It also feels a lot more relaxed due to there being a lot less gang members.They do exist but only in small numbers.Many Nicaraguans go to work in Costa Rica often for little pay and awful conditions.The Costa Ricans moan about them constantly.

Costa Rica is a nice country and without doubt is the wealthiest.It doesnt even have an army and it was them who brokered peace deals for the rest of Central America in the 1980s/90s.Cant say some of the people were so wonderful,they look down on all their neighbours,but Costa Rica is far from perfect,sex tourism is rampant and many American ex pats live there just for that reason,though of course most dont.

Panama is quite different to the rest.Lots of creoles,and doesnt really feel like Central America.Avoid Colon like the plague,outside the duty free area you will be robbed,99% certainty,especially if youre white.Panamas main money gainer is obviously the canal,also some rather dodgy banking.

All of them are so different,probably more different than the US states are

Old 01-17-2018, 08:08 AM

308 posts, read 237,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
Are you awared of the fact that Panama has only been in charge of its full economy for the last 17 years and these countries which you mentioned have done it for decades, yet, Panama in only 17 years surpassed them, think of what we will do in 10 or 20 more years.
Every economy on this planet has periods of boom and periods of recession.It only takes a downturn in world trade and less ships will go through the Canal.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:01 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
There will never be a united Central America, the countries are too different. Guatemala is still essentially a Mayan country,though a lot of Guatemalans sadly try to hide their Mayan ancestry,due to it being looked down upon in the country itself.The police,lots of whom are corrupt also discriminate,and the last thing anyone wants dealings with are Guatemalan police.They even make the street children "disappear" even in this day.[/QOUTE]
Guatemala is a predominantly Mayan country. I would say the Honduras police are worse right now but I don't see what that has anything to do with the topic. Much of Guatemala is very similar to El Salvador and Honduras specially Eastern and Southern Guatemala. There has also been a lot of Salvadorean mirgation to these regions over the centuries and also to Honduras. But Guatemala overall has much more in common culturally speaking with Southern Mexico. Still, there is a very close relation with its neighbors, specially El Salvador.

Quote:
El Salvador and Honduras are a bit similar,El Salvador however is economically better off,uses the dollar as its currency (Honduras has Lempiras) and the infrastructure is usually better.
El Salvador and Honduras are quite similar. The exception to this would Honduras northern coast but for the most part these countries are very similar.

Quote:
All of them are so different,probably more different than the US states are
Not really, maybe Southern Central America. Not the Northern triangle. These countries have very strong ties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas