Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 03:08 PM

23 posts, read 79,859 times

Advertisements

I'm one. Is this what most Hispanics look like? If not then what is the leading group? I don't like being mestizo. I would rather be either full Spanish (Spaniard) or a white hispanic ( with dark hair, don't want blue eyes, light brown will do) like argentina or puerto rican but not dominican and not cuban, just puerto rican.

Last edited by Sunscape; 11-01-2013 at 05:34 AM..

Old 10-15-2013, 03:16 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,990,529 times
Aren't most Puerto Ricans black hispanics?

Old 10-15-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Aren't most Puerto Ricans black hispanics?

No? I looked it up on wikipedia and it says 75% of them are considered white hispanics. You can tell by their facial features. You must be confusing them with Dominicans, Dominicans are mulatto meaning black and white blood in them. Only a small percentage of Puerto Ricans are made up of black people. Jennifer Lopez doesn't look black, Elvis Crespo doesn't look black, Marc Anthony doesn't look black, daddy yankee doesn't look black, etc... I'm mestizo and a lot of Puerto Ricans I've seen are my skin color but the only difference is that they have slightly different facial features which I like. Some are lighter than me and some are a little darker than me but you can just tell they are puerto rican and I'm salvadorian by the facial features. They are made up of white, taino, and some of them are made up of black. Most are my skin color which I like, it's just the Puerto Rican facial features I prefer, plus I love their accent.

Last edited by SanSalvador; 10-15-2013 at 03:32 PM..

Old 10-15-2013, 03:44 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,947,742 times
I think the OP forgot to consider him/herself a troll too? Seems like it.

And yes, most Latin Americans have more than one ethnic origin. Five centuries of racial mixing and remixing and remixing tends to do that. The mixtures in themselves tend to vary depending on geography and the particular history of each country and even within each country, but as a rule of thumb, the vast majority of the people have Spanish ancestry mixed with something else (could be indigenous, African, Asian or a mix of a couple of them or all of them.)

The similarities that most Latin American countries have with each other is due to the Spanish influence and most of them are probably related by blood and have distant cousins not just through out Latin America, but also in Spain.

Some people may have issues with some of the people they are related to, because the Spanish mixed with whomever was present where ever they went, so an Argentine of Andalucian descent could very well have distant mestizo cousins in Peru, distant mulatto cousins in Dominican Republic, distant zambo cousins in Panama, plus distant cousins in Spain itself, then other distant counsins in the USA, the Phillipines, etc. Wherever the Spanish went, people with Spanish blood, regardless if its "pure" or mixed will have distant cousins along their Spanish lineage.

Then there are the cousins of other ethnic origins that mixed blood people also have and ties them to Africa, Latin America, and even Asia too, in addition to Europe.

This is why racism in Latin America, while its much softer than in other places, is still quite stupid. You can have a person that looks like a full Spanish descendant discriminating someone of color, think that other person can't possibly be his distant family member when, in fact, in many cases they are all family. lol This is especially true in some of those smaller countries and many of the island nations as well.

Last edited by AntonioR; 10-15-2013 at 03:54 PM..

Old 10-15-2013, 04:01 PM

20 posts, read 43,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanSalvador View Post
No? I looked it up on wikipedia and it says 75% of them are considered white hispanics. You can tell by their facial features. You must be confusing them with Dominicans, Dominicans are mulatto meaning black and white blood in them. Only a small percentage of Puerto Ricans are made up of black people. Jennifer Lopez doesn't look black, Elvis Crespo doesn't look black, Marc Anthony doesn't look black, daddy yankee doesn't look black, etc... I'm mestizo and a lot of Puerto Ricans I've seen are my skin color but the only difference is that they have slightly different facial features which I like. Some are lighter than me and some are a little darker than me but you can just tell they are puerto rican and I'm salvadorian by the facial features. They are made up of white, taino, and some of them are made up of black. Most are my skin color which I like, it's just the Puerto Rican facial features I prefer, plus I love their accent.
Puerto Ricans are definitely not white, i mean some ARE fully white, just as some are fully black, or fully indian. But, the vast majority of them are racially mixed, usually tri-racials or light mulattos. You obviously never seen a real Puerto Rican. PR uses the opposite of the one drop rule, so one drop of white makes a mixed person white. Just cause most of them consider themselves white doesnt mean they are considered white in American society. Just go to Puerto Rico or any Puerto Rican community in the states and youll know.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboymoe View Post
Puerto Ricans are definitely not white, i mean some ARE fully white, just as some are fully black, or fully indian. But, the vast majority of them are racially mixed, usually tri-racials or light mulattos. You obviously never seen a real Puerto Rican. PR uses the opposite of the one drop rule, so one drop of white makes a mixed person white. Just cause most of them consider themselves white doesnt mean they are considered white in American society. Just go to Puerto Rico or any Puerto Rican community in the states and youll know.

I lived with Puerto Ricans my whole, LOL. The majority are definitely not black. I didn't say they are white. I said they are white hispanics. I thought wikipedia was wrong about the 75% but I went to the library and found a book about Puerto Ricans and it was about the same number saying they are white hispanics.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:30 PM

20 posts, read 43,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanSalvador View Post
I lived with Puerto Ricans my whole, LOL. The majority are definitely not black. I didn't say they are white. I said they are white hispanics. I thought wikipedia was wrong about the 75% but I went to the library and found a book about Puerto Ricans and it was about the same number saying they are white hispanics.
1st of all.. White hispanics and non hispanic whites are both WHITE.. one is a white person from the hispanic culture and the other is white but isnt of the hispanic culture. Hispanic isnt a race its a culture, its just most Hispanics are are racially mixed(depending on nationality), so Americans view us as a different race entirely

2nd.. Im Puerto Rican, I should know about my nationality more than u... The bulk of PRs are tri-racials(white,black n indian) and light mulattos(white and black, more white tho). Only a minority are really "white hispanics".

Old 10-15-2013, 04:40 PM

10 posts, read 23,754 times
Well tbh Puerto Rico is about 3.6 million so it's not much to talk about in the big picture, but what I found interesting is that their white percentage increased due to large Spanish immigration to that country in the 19th century. With a population size that small there are bound to have been some mixing but not very much to the point where the majority look full mulatto. To be completely honest, I personally would not call them mulatto since for me, a true mulatto country would be something like the DR where you can obviously see the influence. Most PR's have a majority white blood with the rest being indigenous and African based. The vast majority of them just don't look it enough and that seems to be all that matters in real life.

Last edited by Dinky Dino; 10-15-2013 at 05:06 PM..

Old 10-15-2013, 04:51 PM

The average Puerto Rican is mixed race but with an overwhelmingly European input (some DNA studies put the European genetic input between 60-70% in the average Puerto Rican) while Dominicans are more "textbook" mulattoes because on average they get a little more than 40% of the DNA from Europe and another 40-something% from Africa, the remaining minority from Tainos, Arabs, and God knows what else.

Martinique is another "mulatto society" but its often 'forgotten' because they are a part of France and, quite frankly, they are such a small society that most people don't care. But, the average Martinican is a much more African mulatto than the typical Dominican. I've only seen one DNA study done on people from Martinique and if I remember correctly, they get roughly 60% of their DNA from Africa.

I've posted some DNA studies done to these two and other Latin American population. If you search for them you should find them.

Anyway, I would categorize Puerto Rico as a white-mulatto society, Dominican Republic 'textbook' mulatto society, and Martinique a black-mulatto society. But I do consider Puerto Rico a mulatto society and its not just due to genetics, their culture is also quite mixed.

Of course, the Spanish influence predominates, but that's the case in every single Spanish American country with some minor exceptions like Bolivia where a good chunk of the population doesn't even speaks Spanish. Latin American countries like Bolivia are quite rare though, most have a Spanish culture with additional minor influences as oppose to an Indigenous culture with minor Spanish influence or even an African culture with a minor Spanish influence.

I think the only country that could be considered to have an African culture with minor Spanish influence is not even a Latin American one, but rather Equatorial Guinea which is a tiny (and the only) Spanish speaking country in Africa. This shouldn't be much of a surprise though, because unlike the Afro-Latino countries like Puerto Rico (yes, I know they are not independent but go with the flow), DR or Cuba; Equatorial Guinea is overwhelmingly of pure African descent with a small sliver of the population having even a drop of Spanish blood whether its mixed or 'pure.'

Old 10-15-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Those people, wow.
Don't be fooled. I personally think this 'SanSalvador' guy is a sock puppet of another member that is also from El Salvador. He's probably trying to stir the pot by making outrageous claims.

Its what I think though. I could be wrong, but my hunches rarely misguides me.

I will go much further and say that I think this 'SanSalvador' guy is probably the same guy behind this pseudonym: http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...d-1614115.html

Sure seems similar to me in the way 'they' express themselves. Maybe a moderator can look into each account to make sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas