Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 03:20 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Lol, then I am one of those "conquistador-americans" It's no wonder why I don't experience any prejudice in the US, anymore anyway. I lost my Spanish accent and everybody says "I thought you were white". Hey, moron, I AM white just because I have 2 Spanish last names have they ever heard of a country called Spain? Or do they all think the language and culture come from Mexico? Geez
Well the reality of it is that society doesn't see you as White when you tell them your ancestry is Spanish. I'm sure Spanish immigrants are blown away by the racial complexities of the United States when they arrive here. It wouldn't surprise me if there are assimilated Spanish Americans who don't identify as being White like other European ethnic groups in this country.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:04 PM

284 posts, read 641,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
When would that have been? You do realize that lynchings were common occurrences in the South well into the 1930s, and that they continued in the 1950s. Have you ever heard of the Civil Rights Movement? White/black "relations" in the US were only "good" from the white perspective when blacks "knew their place and kept to it", ie, the back of the bus.

Hispanics and Latinos are not the same. Moreover, not all Latinos are the same. There are big differences among people from Mexico, from Cuba, from Puerto Rico, from Brazil, and from Chile.
NO DUHHH!!! i was thinking more of 80s and 90s

Old 10-24-2013, 09:28 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post

interacting w/ the latinos in my city lets me know that race relations where they come from are not as good as they make it seem. in their countrys you are still judged and disabled because of the color of your skin.

I saw your other thread, I would take environmental science.

Colorism and discriminations exists everywhere! In all parts of the world there is discrimination, even between blacks in the u.s. Even in japan and korea, two of the most ethnically homogenous countries in the world.

So what you are saying is that black and white relations started improving during the 80s and 90s until latinos arrived...ignoring the fact that latinos have been here for more than 250 years?

Old 10-25-2013, 07:06 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
NO DUHHH!!! i was thinking more of 80s and 90s
Oh, yeah, great black-white race relations in the 1980s-1990s: the Los Angeles riots that occurred in 1992 were precipitated by the acquittal of the white police officers that beat Rodney King.

The fact is, the US elected a black man POTUS in 2008 and reelected him in 2012. That says that despite the squealing of the racists that infest talk radio and right wing media outlets (including internet sites), race relations are a lot better today than they were 20 or 30 years ago. Most white Americans, especially younger people, have come to terms with living and working with black Americans.

It seems to me that Spanish-speaking migrants and immigrants have become the new targets for the disgruntled the way that African Americans were in the past. Respectable people who wouldn't think of publicly of attacking blacks with racist stereotypes, openly rant about Hispanics, particularly that "they refuse to learn English!" and that "they're here illegally!"

Old 10-25-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I saw your other thread, I would take environmental science.

Colorism and discriminations exists everywhere! In all parts of the world there is discrimination, even between blacks in the u.s. Even in japan and korea, two of the most ethnically homogenous countries in the world.

So what you are saying is that black and white relations started improving during the 80s and 90s until latinos arrived...ignoring the fact that latinos have been here for more than 250 years?
lord! i really wish yall would read!! so your telling me hispanics were always heavily migrating to the u.s??? because i could have sworn that was mainly puerto ricans and cubans.

and you cant compare the U.S 250 yrs ago to what it is now.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Oh, yeah, great black-white race relations in the 1980s-1990s: the Los Angeles riots that occurred in 1992 were precipitated by the acquittal of the white police officers that beat Rodney King.

The fact is, the US elected a black man POTUS in 2008 and reelected him in 2012. That says that despite the squealing of the racists that infest talk radio and right wing media outlets (including internet sites), race relations are a lot better today than they were 20 or 30 years ago. Most white Americans, especially younger people, have come to terms with living and working with black Americans.

It seems to me that Spanish-speaking migrants and immigrants have become the new targets for the disgruntled the way that African Americans were in the past. Respectable people who wouldn't think of publicly of attacking blacks with racist stereotypes, openly rant about Hispanics, particularly that "they refuse to learn English!" and that "they're here illegally!"
lol i knew you would mention that. but what other big occurence happened......??? race relations were way better 20 yrs ago that they are today. it seems like everytime i get on the comp or turn on the TV its some black/white, racial profiling, immigration talk, etc etc

& you really think spanish-speaking migrants have it hard here???!!! HA! if anything i think they're being catered to here!
its a damn shame when an american born citizen cant even get a job in his own country because he cant speak the spanish language.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:35 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,900 times
Quote:
lol i knew you would mention that. but what other big occurence happened......??? race relations were way better 20 yrs ago that they are today. it seems like everytime i get on the comp or turn on the TV its some black/white, racial profiling, immigration talk, etc etc

& you really think spanish-speaking migrants have it hard here???!!! HA! if anything i think they're being catered to here!
its a damn shame when an american born citizen cant even get a job in his own country because he cant speak the spanish language.

You really think race relations were better 20 years ago? Wow

The L.A riots are worsts than the Trayvon Martin case, the murderer was half German half Peruvian, he did not like Blacks or Mexicans.

No its a damn shame people are blaming immigrants for taking away their "jobs", instead of blaming all the companies that have outsourced jobs to other countries that give good pay. Immigrants get stereotyped for being fruit pickers and gardeners, you really think people are after those jobs? There is even a shortage of skilled trade workers!

Old 10-25-2013, 09:55 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:

Well New York in the 1980s wasn't exactly a paradise for race relations.

Recalling Yusuf Hawkins And Hate That Killed Him - NYTimes.com

Howard Beach racial incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Turks

Crown Heights riot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rumor and Justice in Washington Heights - NYTimes.com

Central Park jogger case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bernhard Goetz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-25-2013, 10:16 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
You really think race relations were better 20 years ago? Wow

The L.A riots are worsts than the Trayvon Martin case, the murderer was half German half Peruvian, he did not like Blacks or Mexicans.

No its a damn shame people are blaming immigrants for taking away their "jobs", instead of blaming all the companies that have outsourced jobs to other countries that give good pay. Immigrants get stereotyped for being fruit pickers and gardeners, you really think people are after those jobs? There is even a shortage of skilled trade workers!
Agree. The OP is ignorantly attempting to justify his/her bigotry.

I knew there were more cases than the LA riots but I didn't look them up, primarily because the LA riot was such a notable event. The LA riot, like the riots in the 1960s, didn't just come out of nowhere. There were a lot of lesser issues in LA that led up to it that didn't make the national news.

Anybody who thinks US race relations in the 1980s/1990s were "good" isn't old enough to remember the era or wasn't paying attention.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:35 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Agree. The OP is ignorantly attempting to justify his/her bigotry.

I knew there were more cases than the LA riots but I didn't look them up, primarily because the LA riot was such a notable event. The LA riot, like the riots in the 1960s, didn't just come out of nowhere. There were a lot of lesser issues in LA that led up to it that didn't make the national news.

Anybody who thinks US race relations in the 1980s/1990s were "good" isn't old enough to remember the era or wasn't paying attention.
The OP needs to see the movie "Do the Right Thing", while a fictional film, maybe that'll give a picture of the perception of race relations in New York circa 1989... People who born in the late 80s or 90s(don't know if the OP is in that age group) have this rose-colored vision of the 80s and 90s being the idyllic time with less stress and problems than today. Just because people watched the Cosby Show didn't meant that every thing was swell.... I was a kid in the 80s and a teenager in the 90s who followed the news of the times and I can remember there was a lot of news about white fear of blacks and vice versa a lot of black anger about the police and white racism during that era(especially during the height of the crack era when inner city crime was peaking). Central cities were for the most part more dangerous during this period and this led to more tension. It was all over the media of those times. Presidential candidates of the times used all sorts of racial imagery during elections(like Willie Horton in 1988).

Hell, David Duke(a former KKK grand dragon) tried to run for president in 1992 and actually got some votes in a few states. You had progress in some ways, but there was a lot of bad feelings during this period. Honestly, I think the late 90s had more progress--during the Clinton-era the economy was booming, crime was down and you had a lot of people moving into the middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas