Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 03:40 AM

195 posts, read 441,022 times

Advertisements

I think that due the numbers of phoenemas Portuguese is more difficult to learn, no doubt. Just try to speak words like pão, sabão, São Paulo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 05:52 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Both languages are very similar, and have lots of words that are written exactly the same way.

About the question "which is more beneficial in present time", here is a way to think about the subject:

Since people who can speak Portuguese can understand Spanish more easily than people who speak Spanish can understand Portuguese, maybe it could be a good choice for those who don't speak any of the two languages to learn Portuguese first.

Why? Because once you learn Portuguese, it will be very easy to learn Spanish.

And if you speak Portuguese, you do business with Brazil, a giant with 200 million inhabitants and the world's seventh or sixth economy (depending on the year).

Also, you do business with Angola and Mozambique, two of the fastest growing economies in Africa (Spanish language is almost unknown in Africa).

So, if you don't speak any of the two, my advice is: learn Portuguese first, and that will be very helpful when you start to learn Spanish.
I totally agree...e eu falo português!

Old 11-06-2013, 05:54 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Spanish is spoken and understood and spoken among many African nations. There is Ceuta and Millia in the northern tip of North African Morrocco.

Then there is the Spanish speaking nations and islands belonging to Equitoreal Guinea, which is a Spanish speaking country.
True this.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:01 AM

560 posts, read 599,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Spanish is easier than Portuguese. Spanish pronunciation is easier too as every word is pronounced, Portuguese has some silent words like the " e " at the end of a word, it sounds almost silent, well I am talking about Portuguese Portuguese not the Brasilian Portuguese.

Spanish is more beneficial of course. It is second to English.
I wouldn't dismiss portuguese in detriment of Spanish.

I think learning Portuguese can be more beneficial because not only you'd be able to speak Portuguese but also from Portuguese to Spanish you'd speak it in no time

No doubt, Portuguese is harder... it's the grammar especially. It's a son of a b*tch of a grammar!

Old 11-06-2013, 06:06 AM

560 posts, read 599,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Both languages are very similar, and have lots of words that are written exactly the same way.

About the question "which is more beneficial in present time", here is a way to think about the subject:

Since people who can speak Portuguese can understand Spanish more easily than people who speak Spanish can understand Portuguese, maybe it could be a good choice for those who don't speak any of the two languages to learn Portuguese first.

Why? Because once you learn Portuguese, it will be very easy to learn Spanish.

And if you speak Portuguese, you do business with Brazil, a giant with 200 million inhabitants and the world's seventh or sixth economy (depending on the year).

Also, you do business with Angola and Mozambique, two of the fastest growing economies in Africa (Spanish language is almost unknown in Africa).

So, if you don't speak any of the two, my advice is: learn Portuguese first, and that will be very helpful when you start to learn Spanish.
Portuguese is official language in 10+ countries if memory serves me right. Not only Brazil which is a huge market, as also Angola and Mozambique which are one of the fastest growing economies in Africa, and let's not forget also about Macao that was portuguese territory until 2001 and is the #1 market in gambling (it's bigger than Vegas)

The Portuguese speaking countries are:

- Portugal
- Brazil
- Timor Lorosae (east part of Indonesia)
- Mozambique
- Angola
- Cabo Verde
- São Tomé
- Guinea Bissau
- Goa (in India)
- Macau
- Equatorial Guinea

and I think I didn't forget anything else ...

Old 11-06-2013, 06:19 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
Sorry, but in Africa Spanish plays a very minor role, compared to Portuguese, let alone English and French. Even in Equatorial Guinea (just a quarter of a million inhabitants) there is a move towards Portuguese as Portuguese-speaking Angola is becoming one of the engines of Africa. There are plans for a dedicated fiber-optic line between Angola and Brazil, that will further increase the importance of Angola and thus Portuguese in West Africa.

Plus, in Equatorial Guinea the three non-African official languages are just that, official languages. People learn them at school and use them in certain situations, but in real life they mostly speak their African languages anyway. Just like most Indians don't speak English most of the time, but their own Indian languages.

Since this thread is in the Americas forum, this thread is obviously about Brazilian Portuguese. It is relatively easy to understand, unless people get excited, angry etc. and thus start to speak real fast. But I guess that applies to most languages.
There are also various hybrid forms called Portunhol, spoken mainly along Brazil's and Portugal's borders.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:30 AM

671 posts, read 853,870 times
OP, what do you mean by "more beneficial". Obviously, Spanish will be more beneficial if you are looking to put on a resume in the Americas. Also you will encounter many people who speak Spanish and have a wide array of Spanish-language movies, magazines and books to enjoy after you learn Spanish.

If you are just learning languages for fun, it would obviously be cooler to learn the less common language. And, as people have said, it will be easy to pick up Spanish after studying Portuguese.

But just think about what your purpose is for learning a new language before you decide.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:36 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,922,556 times
I agree with Malaman's assertion that learning Spanish after Portuguese is much easier. Spanish is my native language, and I can't understand a single word when Portuguese is being spoken. I'm like when I hear Portuguese. How can a language that looks so similar to Spanish when written sound so different from Spanish? To me, Portuguese sounds more like Russian than Spanish!

Old 11-06-2013, 01:10 PM

356 posts, read 1,065,979 times
edit

Last edited by Avex; 11-06-2013 at 01:23 PM..

Old 11-06-2013, 01:14 PM

356 posts, read 1,065,979 times
Brazilian Portuguese is very easy to understand under this kind of context, I was able to grasp the vast majority of what was said.

Now this is more difficult, at least for me.

European Portuguese is something else, very challenging but I like how it sounds.

For the Portuguese speakers, is there any dialect of spanish that easier or more difficult to understand?

Last edited by Avex; 11-06-2013 at 01:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas