Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the average African-American a mulatto?
Yes 53 43.44%
No 69 56.56%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 11:49 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,567,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
You don't care about who or what you are, so why are you even in this discussion? Just say you're from Jupiter and call it a day!

I do think "what" I am defines who I am. Talking about ethnicity answers "what" and not "who". What never answers the question of "who". Who is a much more complicated question to answer. What is very simple.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:05 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,567,771 times
I really don't know ANY white people who are colorist. It simply doesn't exist amongst whites. The main people who are colorist are blacks and to a much larger degree hispanics and asians (filipinos are some of the worst colorist in the world). I think colorism really hasn't been as big of an issue until larger hispanic migration started to come to the USA. Particularly lower income hispanics. When I grew up in the 80s, almost no one talked about light skinned or dark skinned. People frankly never cared. People in my generation (gen X 30+) almost never are colorist. However I thnk amongst the younger people, colorism is very much still alive.

Again, I think the big acceptance of colorism was mainly from hispanics who can look black, and being black in Latin America is an insult. Also younger people are mentally weaker, so they believe being "not black" is enough to carry them economically. Which is pretty strange considering odd, considering that race places less of a role in someone's success than it ever did in the past.

Also interracial dating has open up the colorist nonsense as well. But interracial dating in general promotes a lot of ignorant mentalities. Which is one of the main reasons why I've never been to big on interracial dating.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:05 AM

92,531 posts, read 122,787,522 times
According to the Scientific American issue from December 2003, the West African DNA of the average African American is 80% when looking at those that identify as such with 20-100% of such DNA.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-08-2014 at 05:22 AM..

Old 01-08-2014, 05:29 AM

28,610 posts, read 18,647,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Its a return to the past. But not to the boomers. But to those who were born before WWII, and who came of age in the 50s.
Because the undercurrent which has always said "white is right" --which the "Black is beautiful" salient intended to combat--continued its relentless tide within the culture and took control again when Boomers stopped pressing forward.

Have you ever done this? Find a collection of the photographs of James Van Derzee and carefully study the photographs in it. Look at what those black people were doing and think about the tall odds that the American culture of their day threw against them. I think they were awesome folk.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:06 AM

15,068 posts, read 6,133,232 times
Not sure why the need to compare Dominicans and AAs. The two are different. The former is a nationality/culture within which the vast majority are very mixed, with African & European heritage usually being equal. AAs are a culture within U.S. culture where the people are predominantly of African descent in general, with significant European heritage.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:03 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,490,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I really don't know ANY white people who are colorist. It simply doesn't exist amongst whites. The main people who are colorist are blacks and to a much larger degree hispanics and asians (filipinos are some of the worst colorist in the world). I think colorism really hasn't been as big of an issue until larger hispanic migration started to come to the USA. Particularly lower income hispanics. When I grew up in the 80s, almost no one talked about light skinned or dark skinned. People frankly never cared. People in my generation (gen X 30+) almost never are colorist. However I thnk amongst the younger people, colorism is very much still alive.

Again, I think the big acceptance of colorism was mainly from hispanics who can look black, and being black in Latin America is an insult. Also younger people are mentally weaker, so they believe being "not black" is enough to carry them economically. Which is pretty strange considering odd, considering that race places less of a role in someone's success than it ever did in the past.

Also interracial dating has open up the colorist nonsense as well. But interracial dating in general promotes a lot of ignorant mentalities. Which is one of the main reasons why I've never been to big on interracial dating.

And you mean to tell me that there aren't many non Anglo white American men who don't drool for the blonde to the point where their sisters have to become "bottle blondes" to attract their brother's friends. And of course Jewish girls who must straighten their Jewfros, which by the way aren't hard to manage as black women might claim that their un=straightened hair might be.

That's colorism, just of a different type.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
You never heard the saying "Blondes have more fun" or "If I have to live life once, let me live it as a blonde?"

Quote:
No, colorism among American blacks was instituted in the slave culture, with the biracial children of the masters being placed in the house as house servants or sold as concubines. The masters--and later white employers--did prefer to have lighter skinned blacks in daintier positions of servitude. This created a division that had the appearance of favoritism (although the house servant did not have a less stressful life).

Old 01-08-2014, 03:09 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,547,760 times
I think the driving force behind so much interracial relationships is an attempt to produce light skinned kids.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
I think the driving force behind so much interracial relationships is an attempt to produce light skinned kids.
That was an issue prior to the 70s among American blacks where some did practice "never marry anyone darker than yourself" or the "paper bag test."

But I don't see that as an issue among Millennials. Not just because they're "Millennials," but because young single people don't think that way (especially not young men).

Millennial black men contemplating a relationship are no more planning what their future kids will look like than young men of any other generation. "Oooh, if I hook up with that honey, my babies would be soooo cute!" No. "That babe is hot!" That's as far as it's going; they're not thinking about having children of any shade.

Nor would that explain why whites would get involved...what, to have darker babies?

Old 01-08-2014, 03:23 PM

92,531 posts, read 122,787,522 times
To answer the question: no and 80% Western, sub Saharan African DNA. Thread shut down........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas