Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 07:49 AM

836 posts, read 1,255,533 times

Advertisements

Is it fair to say that the romance and sensuality of much of Argentine culture (e.g. the tango, as greatly altered by Italian immigrants from its African origins) is the other side of the same coin as the politics of Argentina from Peron onwards that have ruined the country economically (after having been one of the world's wealthiest countries at the turn of the 20th century)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 04:57 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
I don't see any connection there. Neighboring Uruguay is just as much into Tango (actually some say it was invented in Montevideo), yet still the best place in Latin America.

But I think there is a lot of kitsch regarding Tango. Most young people in both countries don't seem to care much about Tango. Just because a country is known for a certain genre does not mean that genre is very important there. Just like many Brazilians do not care about Samba or Bossa Nova, and like many Portuguese don't listen to Fado. Nor do most Americans listen to Jazz just because it was invented there.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:58 AM

3 posts, read 4,208 times
I love Tango dance very much all my life. It is part of my family heritage and country culture. Tango and politics are not related.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:26 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,085 times
Very interesting and observant analysis.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:53 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,526,383 times
The passionate, extroverted, outgoing, insane character of most argentinians is related

Argentina is a passionate society, thats why its also very chaotic

Old 11-13-2013, 10:18 AM

839 posts, read 3,073,210 times
I'd like to add that, even though the tango dance has some sort of sensuality and passion to it, the music together with the lyrics are more melancholy and gloomy rather than happy. I mean, in that sense it's very different from a dance like salsa, for example. IMO.

This is just a feature of tango and in no way is it meant to downplay its beauty. On the contrary, some forms of art are gloomy and melancholy and still beautiful.

Anyway, the passion and sensuality is more related to the dance than to the music and lyrics.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:38 AM

But I guess if, let's say, Argentina had gotten British and Irish immigrants more than Spanish and Italian immigrants (but there were still some Spaniards and Italians in the mix), tango would have taken a somewhat different form, a somewhat less passionate and sensual form (perhaps even sticking more to its African roots)?

Old 11-13-2013, 12:03 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,788,987 times
Peron didn't ruin Argentina economically.

The IMF did, with the help of Carlos Menem and Fernando De La Rua.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Peron didn't ruin Argentina economically.

The IMF did, with the help of Carlos Menem and Fernando De La Rua.
I'd say that a whole bunch of factors have ruined Argentina economically: backward political and economic institutions coming out of Spain (which, from after the Golden Age of the 1400s to WWII, was a have-not country) - including much corruption and repression, the Argentine elites' adverse reactions to immigration at the turn of the 20th century, the coups taking place from 1930, Peronism (in a way), various military dictatorships, the IMF, etc. So, you cannot blame just the IMF and all that!

Old 11-18-2013, 07:02 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,788,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
I'd say that a whole bunch of factors have ruined Argentina economically: backward political and economic institutions coming out of Spain (which, from after the Golden Age of the 1400s to WWII, was a have-not country) - including much corruption and repression, the Argentine elites' adverse reactions to immigration at the turn of the 20th century, the coups taking place from 1930, Peronism (in a way), various military dictatorships, the IMF, etc. So, you cannot blame just the IMF and all that!

Argentina was doing relatively well by 1992.

Then the IMF destroyed the country, with the help of Carlos Menem, and later, Fernando de La Rua.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas