Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 08:43 PM

10 posts, read 23,759 times

Advertisements

Eh new immigrants who come here are encouraged to integrate and learn English such as how people feel hispanics should stop speaking spanish and learn english. Over time the older cultures and customs are replaced by newer ones. If you eventually integrate in a new country, why would knowing where you came from hundreds of years ago matter so much? In a couple generations the immigrants eventually adapt and the past is the past replaced by new values and customs of whatever new nation you settled in. Of course this is just my opinion and varies from person to person.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:52 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinky Dino View Post
Eh new immigrants who come here are encouraged to integrate and learn English such as how people feel hispanics should stop speaking spanish and learn english. Over time the older cultures and customs are replaced by newer ones. If you eventually integrate in a new country, why would knowing where you came from hundreds of years ago matter so much? In a couple generations the immigrants eventually adapt and the past is the past replaced by new values and customs of whatever new nation you settled in. Of course this is just my opinion and varies from person to person.
this is something that as a non-black that you take for granted. Having the option of learning a new language and custome still does not take away your original culture. Trust me if blacks were not robbed of this, many of them would be in a better sitaution than they are in now.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:52 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
You're doing this on purpose aren't you? How can you not understand what we're telling you? if those groups assimilate it's because they choose to do so. Your example about Hispanics is a perfect example of a group choosing not to completely. Even if they do, they still know where they came from whether it's hundred of years ago or two decades. Maybe YOU don't see why it may be important to some people but who are you, or people like you to make that choice for them?

Old 11-24-2013, 08:56 PM

Dinky Dino, Imagine if all that you were taught in substandards schools that you were inferior and that your history started at American slavery AND that your people did nothing to the betterment of this country. How do you think that would effect future generations? Trust me it would not be postive

Old 11-24-2013, 09:05 PM

10 posts, read 23,759 times
No real point in discussing this further then but you guys already have a new culture in these modern times and stuff so I figured that was good enough. I just can't relate/care much about origins and am more interested about where the future is going.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:43 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Blacks were not ALLOWED to take the same path of assimilation. Jim Crow laws were enacted to make certain that African Americans remained segregated from the rest of American society.

Do people realize that it was ILLEGAL in many states for blacks and whites to marry until Loving v. State of Virginia made interracial marriage legal in 1967? Many companies actually refused to hire blacks prior to the CRM. There were restrictive CCRs that prevented blacks from living in certain areas until the Fair Housing Act of 1968.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
No real point in discussing this further then but you guys already have a new culture in these modern times and stuff so I figured that was good enough. I just can't relate/care much about origins and am more interested about where the future is going.

This is why this is so important, if you do not know your past the future is rather bleek. Like I said before, many non-american blacks cannot comphrend the importance of culture and it is even easier to blow it off if relates to another person's feelings towards the matter

Old 11-24-2013, 10:44 PM

36 posts, read 34,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INsync3 View Post
Yes AA are the most racist group in the USA.
If you truly believe that you are a dishonest person or delusional one, maybe a little of both.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:08 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Blacks were not ALLOWED to take the same path of assimilation. Jim Crow laws were enacted to make certain that African Americans remained segregated from the rest of American society.

Do people realize that it was ILLEGAL in many states for blacks and whites to marry until Loving v. State of Virginia made interracial marriage legal in 1967? Many companies actually refused to hire blacks prior to the CRM. There were restrictive CCRs that prevented blacks from living in certain areas until the Fair Housing Act of 1968.
Exactly. In the South even if a Black person looked white enough to try and assimilate into white culture if whites found out what they were doing they would be very seriously punished. Even in the North Blacks could not assimilate because they were usually not allowed to live in white neighborhoods, belong to most labor unions, attend many white schools, etc.

As late as the 1950's a Black person hanging out in Midtown Manhattan stuck out like a sore thumb. If they were there they better be able to explain how they had a job there working for a certain white person or whatever or they potentially faced being harassed, locked up, or beat up by the cops.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:28 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
Quote:
Well the closest thing I can think of is Native Americans. Except it went worse for them since it was basically a genocide on their own homeland. They literally lost their land, language, culture, and their people. Barely any of them left. At least African americans still have a place to call home in Africa while the remaining Native americans have cruddy reservations.
African American's have a place in Africa? We no more have anything in Africa than you do. The land in Africa is owned by Africans. Most African Americans don't even know what part of the huge area that is West and Southern Africa that they come from. And even if they did it's not like they could return there and say "hey, I'm from this region of Gambia give me some land so I can build a house, farm, whatever."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas