Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 11:24 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,465,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I'm sure Philippines didn't get any. It is still not a trend there especially since it's quite expensive.
I'm sure it is popular in Spain as well since every year, Spain joins the pageant also since I think Spain won twice already.
Spain might send a representative but it is not popular in any European country. It is not even broadcast. The Filippino girl who won Miss World was lovely. It is obvious that a lot of the contestants have had plastic surgery though not all of them do. Lots of them are very plastic looking and look like clones of each other no matter where they are from.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:06 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,084,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Spain might send a representative but it is not popular in any European country. It is not even broadcast. The Filippino girl who won Miss World was lovely. It is obvious that a lot of the contestants have had plastic surgery though not all of them do. Lots of them are very plastic looking and look like clones of each other no matter where they are from.
Well I agree that it is not popular in some countries, like Portugal. It is not even shown there. But I think it is also because Portugal never ever won the crown.
Yes,the Filipino who won Miss World is pretty. She's half American.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:25 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,465,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Well I agree that it is not popular in some countries, like Portugal. It is not even shown there. But I think it is also because Portugal never ever won the crown.
Yes,the Filipino who won Miss World is pretty. She's half American.
I don't think it has anything to do with whether a country wins or not. Australia has won Miss Universe a couple of times at least but it isn't even on the radar her. No one knows about it or discusses it.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:27 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,701,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Its getting ridiculous

Titleholders per region

22 Latin America
13 Europe
11 English speaking Americas
8 Eastern Asia
4 Africa
3 Oceania (Australia and New Zealand)
2 Western Asia

Why? Now If you have a conspiracy hold it, pretend for example the contest is actually legit,(I myself don't know if its legit or not) why are Latin American women always winning?

I thought since it was in Russia, a woman from Eastern Europe would win since they have the home advantage, but no, again Venezuela won. I cant believe she won. I would have thought Costa Rica, United Kingdom, Switzerland.
Because they are hot! Duh! Lol

Old 11-12-2013, 07:03 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,962,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I don't know if Spain transmitted the contest or not but I know the Spanish media was talking about it a lot in their regular programming. Spaniards put a lot of value in women's looks and spend a lot of time talking about models and celebrities. They speak about them as if they were very special and out this world

These contests are very popular in Latin America and I think that is the reason why some countries always win or make it to the finals. They don't want to lose the few viewers they still have left.

The contest itself is very absurd. The whole idea of lining up a bunch of women and giving them a grade as if they were cattle is backwards and belongs in the past.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
No jealousy my friend. I watch because of the ladies, I praise the boobies and the butts. It is to my understanding Miss Universe contests is the superbowl championship to women all over the world, all supporting their respective teams/countries.

So then you are saying Venezuela keeps winning because they take beauty seriously? that makes sense. But why does Venezuela have 7 titles while Colombia only has 1 if both countries take beauty equally seriously? There seems to be an off balance here.

Also I have question. Would you say then that the Colombian people are not good at taking care of their finances, if a big portion of the population is more concern about beauty enhancement and more willing to pay for those products than more important things?
Actually the country with more plastic surgeries is the US and it's not just the rich getting them. Americans just have more ways to finance them. I think "liberal" countries like France and the UK are also on top.

What happens in some of these South American countries (I grew up in one of them and visit often) is that their culture is very nationalistic. They want their country to be #1 in the world because they want be recognized for their good things and not for their drug trafficking, slums or crime. Miss Universe was very popular way before plastic surgery was mainstream.

Then their women became popular through music, prostitution and beauty contests and the population started putting more emphasis on women's looks. However it is not true the poor in those countries are getting plastic surgery. They can't afford it. When you visit an upper class neighborhood and a low class neighborhood you can clearly see the difference.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
By the way, all their answers, including Venezuela's, are non-responsive.

For example, questions: "What can be done to get more women into politicians?" Answer: "Women today are strong, educated, and can do anything they want. Thank you!" Um...what? But, you didn't answer the question at all!
Horrible answers. I wonder why they usually fail to answer those questions. If they get asked "what is the color of your dress?" they would answer "my dress looks beautiful and I wore it last year". Could it be that most average people that age would answer the same way? Maybe we are used to seeing smart young people answer those type of questions not average people.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:56 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,084,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I don't know if Spain transmitted the contest or not but I know the Spanish media was talking about it a lot in their regular programming. Spaniards put a lot of value in women's looks and spend a lot of time talking about models and celebrities. They speak about them as if they were very special and out this world

These contests are very popular in Latin America and I think that is the reason why some countries always win or make it to the finals. They don't want to lose the few viewers they still have left.

The contest itself is very absurd. The whole idea of lining up a bunch of women and giving them a grade as if they were cattle is backwards and belongs in the past.
I agree. Spanish media always talk about their celebrities.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:08 PM

3,969 posts, read 6,773,640 times
Because mixed-race women are the most beautiful of all?

Old 11-13-2013, 12:36 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,164,035 times
It's likely beauty and politics combined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.