Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:26 PM

2 posts, read 21,457 times

Advertisements

Is there a country in Sub Saharan Africa that Jamaica has tons of similarities to? If so, which?

Old 05-29-2012, 02:53 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,756,157 times
Jamaica is obviously a totally different culture to Africa, but the closest I would say would be:

Liberia
Ghana
Nigeria
Ethiopia - for religious reasons

Old 05-29-2012, 09:19 AM

4,869 posts, read 10,466,407 times
Nah, the rastas view Ethiopia as a spiritual homeland but it is a tiny, minority religion in Jamaica and almost non-existent in Ethiopia itself. It would be more accurate to think of Jamaica as Protestant nation and Ethiopia as an Eastern Orthodox + Muslim + some indigenous religions country. So they're very different religiously, and have really nothing else in common, even race as Ethiopians differ in looks from the West African descended Jamaicans. I agree with the similarities to other fairly homogenous former British and American African colonies and would add Sierra Leone. Still, Jamaica doesn't really have much at all in common with Africa, they're clearly from different continents. There's definitely no country with 'tons' of similarities, the only countries like that are other countries in the region like Belize and Barbados.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:47 AM

3,847 posts, read 5,244,251 times
Nigeria.

Make a comparison between Jamaican Patois and Nigerian Pidgin. We share many similarities.

Also when it comes to cuisine our food is heavily influenced by African cuisine, especially Nigerian. Look at the similarities between Mannish Water and ISI-EWU or Pepper Soup and Pepper Pot Soup. There are tons of other examples as well.

I play football (soccer) with alot of Nigerian's here in Boston and work with alot in the Medical Field as well and I find that at times we will be having a conversation and they break out into Pidgin I can pick up alot of the language. Similarly when I speak Patois they can understand it as well, especially on the football pitch.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:42 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,543,330 times
Mostly Ghana. I read somewhere that the majority of enslaved Africans that ended up in Jamaica were from Ghana. I always thought they came from all over West Africa.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:58 PM

3,847 posts, read 5,244,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Mostly Ghana. I read somewhere that the majority of enslaved Africans that ended up in Jamaica were from Ghana. I always thought they came from all over West Africa.
The original English slave trade originated in Gold Coast (Modern Day Ghana). The next wave came from Bight of Biafra (Modern day Nigeria) and according to some record outnumbered those from the original wave.

The First ever slaves came from Spain though via an various African countries and records of that trade are even more scarce than the English slave trade.

Another factor in the similarities shared with Nigeria are that after the abolition of slavery many former slaves returned to Africa, primarily Nigeria. Which is why many of the customs of Jamaican born slaves were passed along to Nigerians.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:57 PM

208 posts, read 544,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
The original English slave trade originated in Gold Coast (Modern Day Ghana). The next wave came from Bight of Biafra (Modern day Nigeria) and according to some record outnumbered those from the original wave.

The First ever slaves came from Spain though via an various African countries and records of that trade are even more scarce than the English slave trade.

Another factor in the similarities shared with Nigeria are that after the abolition of slavery many former slaves returned to Africa, primarily Nigeria. Which is why many of the customs of Jamaican born slaves were passed along to Nigerians.
For your information, Spain never had direct relation with slaves trade, spain gave licences to other countries(portugal, france, england, holland) to sell them in america.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:35 AM

4,439 posts, read 6,946,076 times
Ghana, Nigeria, Zimbawee and South Africa

Old 05-30-2012, 05:36 AM

298 posts, read 1,149,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempranillo View Post
For your information, Spain never had direct relation with slaves trade, spain gave licences to other countries(portugal, france, england, holland) to sell them in america.
And Spanish colonies in Africa were in the north. Spain never had much relation with most of Africa.

All my life I heard that the black slaves in spanish colonies were few and located in the Caribbean colonies.
It seems that UK and America have more information about the history of Spain that the Spanish themselves.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:24 AM

398 posts, read 626,467 times
nobody mentioned sierra leone. sierra leone has direct historic roots to Jamaica and the creole they speak has many similarities to Jamaican creole.
of course there are huge differences but they have links
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas