U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 06:33 PM

490 posts, read 1,498,859 times

Advertisements

I'm Mexican and I have been reading and enjoying learning about the South American countries (Mexico is North America, not South America just so you know)

I have came across and researched about the city of Medellin. When I read about it, it made me think of Monterrey. I think that this town may be like the Monterrey of Colombia.

Both Medellin and Monterrey

*Are high tech cities
*Clean and organized (compared to other parts of their respective countries)
*Have among the Highest HDIs and Per Capitas in Latin America
*Both have very similar populations

And some other things I can't think of right now, and from what I've heard there's a good number of Colombians living in Monterrey, Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 13 days ago)

5,173 posts, read 8,022,345 times
Monterrey has a very visible US influence in its architecture and urban design, but with the typical heavy Spanish influence found in Mexico.

Medellin is much more Colombian (that's the only way I can explain it) in appearance with the typical excessive use of bricks that is so typical of Colombia.

Culturally Monterrey is probably much more similar to the USA compared to Medellin.

In terms of crime, I think Medellin is at its final stretch concerning narcoviolence while Monterrey appears to be in the middle of its worst crime and murder wave due to narco-activities.

Weather wise I don't think there's much similarity. While Medellin has a year long spring-like weather, Monterrey is probably hotter and has a more marked difference from one station to another. Monterrey might even get freak snow from time to time, something that will never happen in Medellin.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:42 PM

5,083 posts, read 9,091,149 times
Nothing alike really. Wouldn't even think of the two as comparable. Medellin has a density comparable only to a few places due to geography. Monterrey could keep sprawling for the next 50 years and it still won't have the same high density look and feel.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:29 PM

490 posts, read 1,498,859 times
Oh I thought they would be really alike, because both cities are the 2nd most important cities of their country after the capital (Bogota + Mexico DF), also Both cities traditionally played accordion music. I believe that even Monterrey has a large Colombian or paisa community and is big in Cumbias and Vallenato, aside from Nortenas. I think it has one of the largest colombian comunities in Mexico.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:24 AM

8,071 posts, read 5,392,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
Oh I thought they would be really alike, because both cities are the 2nd most important cities of their country after the capital (Bogota + Mexico DF), also Both cities traditionally played accordion music. I believe that even Monterrey has a large Colombian or paisa community and is big in Cumbias and Vallenato, aside from Nortenas. I think it has one of the largest colombian comunities in Mexico.
No, accordion music Vallenato is from the Atlantic coast, maybe Barranquilla (4th city) is closer to what you are looking for.

Vallenato is popular in Medellin but there are also many other styles like salsa, bambuco, regaetton, tango, some mariachi, musica de carrilera, pop, tropical, etc.

In my opinion the most accepted traditional music from that region is played with acoustic guitars Pasillo and Bambuco and similar styles are the folklore music of the region. You will hear that music in many bars and restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or