Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 03:49 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,793,862 times

Advertisements

I think I understand what the OP is saying.

For instance,lots of black men say they want a yellow bone or redbone.

Why mom said that in the 70's those blacks who were light skinned were called "yellow monkeys".

She said that back in the day they were still considered black....but now they want to be called mixed,like Beyonce,even though she has 2 black parents.
Someone like Obama,who really is mixed,would be the only people who can say mixed.

Mixed has taken on a whole new definition.
Why should someone with one white and one black parent be put into the same category as someone with a white great-grandparent?

Same with Caribbean Americans,who want a separate box for their group. Back in the 70's,they were just seen as black,like Shirley Chislom.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:46 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,311,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I understood what you were saying. My point is that those names don't seem as common today as the totally made up names.
Ah ok! Gotcha.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^This.......While I understand what the OP is saying, it kind of answers its own question in terms of it being more of an individual thing and it cutting across different racial groups.

Another thing is that many Africans brought to the Western Hemisphere were Muslims before they got here. So, the Muslim influence isn't new in West Africa or to those that are descendants of said people.

Like Nairobi mentioned, you are more likely to see younger Black Americans with names that are unique and are really combo names that were created.
Right. Ppl seem to overlook the Arab slave trade. Many Africans brought to the Western Hemisphere had Arab admixture. Islam and the Arabs were very oppressive to black Africans. They still enslave and oppress black Africans globally and even in Africa itself.

Last edited by MelismaticEchoes; 11-28-2013 at 08:10 AM..

Old 11-28-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Sure, blacks are people who parents came to America 300 years ago as slaves. Created great thing like Jazz, blues, and soul music. Because that's OUR creation, not Africa's. Sorry Africa, gets no credit. Just to show you that black Americans are much better.

I don't include latinos blacks as being black, because I would prefer those who have no self esteem or self pride no to sponge on the success of smart, industrious, and confident black Americans. I guess they'll have to find their own way. So that's what "black" means. We were black before we were ever African Americans. We're black Americans, with a superior culture, way more money than any black person in the world.

So blacks in America have nothing to be ashamed of. People in my gradmother's generation fought every disadvantage and were still successful in this country. That's a black American, that's part of black American culture. When John Coltrane was able to get on the sax back in the 50s and throw down on it in ways no one could imagine. No matter what color you were, you just had to respect it. The same with Miles Davis.

Mr. Perez from south of the border who was brought here as a slave has ancestors who has contributed nada. But people want to be Mr. Perez before they want to be Mr. Jenkins, Smith, Williams, or Mr. Jackson? The F outta here. We don't need culture from Africa, we've already created a superior one. Sure I'm not fond of the gangsta rap stuff, but hey people have been able to profit from it and become multi millionaires. That's capitalism for you, and you gotta love it.

My view of black is very simple. If you traced your family tree back to America hundreds of years ago. And when I say America I mean USA.
Do you believe in the racist one drop rule?

Old 11-28-2013, 08:05 AM

28,619 posts, read 18,658,429 times
Quote:
So it seems throughout much of history, white supremecy has been a hallmark of American culture. And after slavery, blacks found themselves having to fend for themselves. The lighter skinned ones could possibly con whites into thinking that thinking they too were white, and being black generally sucked. This is because being black generally lead to death in most cases. But in the 1960s, a lot of black artist came out, and they said "black and proud". And in such black people came to terms with being black, and were determined that they would succeed despite being black.
Nobody but another American of African-slave ancestry can give you authentic answers to your questions, so why are you asking that question on this forum instead of any of the dedicated forums for black/African-American forums?

Old 11-28-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I think I understand what the OP is saying.

For instance,lots of black men say they want a yellow bone or redbone.

Why mom said that in the 70's those blacks who were light skinned were called "yellow monkeys".

She said that back in the day they were still considered black....but now they want to be called mixed,like Beyonce,even though she has 2 black parents.
Someone like Obama,who really is mixed,would be the only people who can say mixed.

Mixed has taken on a whole new definition.
Why should someone with one white and one black parent be put into the same category as someone with a white great-grandparent?

Same with Caribbean Americans,who want a separate box for their group. Back in the 70's,they were just seen as black,like Shirley Chislom.
And who the **** are you to tell someone who to identify with. Racial categories and groups are socially constructed perceptions.

Beyonce has every right to identify as mixed. Her father is Bahamian and her mother is a Louisiana Creole/Latin. Beyonce is MGM mixed. Multigenerationally Multiracially mixed race.

Also a person who has white or mixed grandparents should be able to identify as mixed. Stop playing the identity police. If a person is lying about who and what they are that's another story but a person has a right to identify with their backgrounds.

For example, Zoe Kravitz is the daughter of Lenny Kravitz and Lisa Bonet. Lenny Kravitz is half white Jewish American and half Bahamian. Lisa Bonet is half Louisiana Creole and half white Jewish American.

Evan Ross is the last child of Diana Ross and so he'd be more than half white.

So if Zoe Kravitz were to have a child with Evan Ross, it would only rightfully make sense that their proposed hypothetical offspring would identify as mixed or be mixed.

Obama's daughters are technically mixed.

In fact Obama's marriage could be considered interracial. If Obama had a white wife ppl would say it was interracial. But then again, Michell Obama has mixed ancestry as well.

Stop playing identity police.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:11 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,569,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Do you believe in the racist one drop rule?

Actually, you may find this hard to believe, but I don't even care. I could care less about so-called mixed people. Who only want to be black when it's convinient to them. When I hear about Brazilans and their Pardos it makes me sick to my stomach.

Anyway, you fail to realize one thing about America. It's not about where you're from, what you're mixed with, and your cultural background. It's all about how you look. You look black, you are black. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, that's really the extent of race in America. America simply doesn't put that much effort into ethnicity. Never had, and never will. If you can glance at someone, you should be able to figure out what they are in 3 seconds. If you can't put them in a category, then you just call them mixed. Out of site, out of mind.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Nobody but another American of African-slave ancestry can give you authentic answers to your questions, so why are you asking that question on this forum instead of any of the dedicated forums for black/African-American forums?

Because I don't want to sign up to a forum I would never go to just to ask 1 question. I don't care about black forums. I just want my question answered. I noticed enough black American threads in this forum that haven't been locked, so I figured I'd ask my question here.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
And who the **** are you to tell someone who to identify with. Racial categories and groups are socially constructed perceptions.

Beyonce has every right to identify as mixed. Her father is Bahamian and her mother is a Louisiana Creole/Latin. Beyonce is MGM mixed. Multigenerationally Multiracially mixed race.

Also a person who has white or mixed grandparents should be able to identify as mixed. Stop playing the identity police. If a person is lying about who and what they are that's another story but a person has a right to identify with their backgrounds.

For example, Zoe Kravitz is the daughter of Lenny Kravitz and Lisa Bonet. Lenny Kravitz is half white Jewish American and half Bahamian. Lisa Bonet is half Louisiana Creole and half white Jewish American.

Evan Ross is the last child of Diana Ross and so he'd be more than half white.

So if Zoe Kravitz were to have a child with Evan Ross, it would only rightfully make sense that their proposed hypothetical offspring would identify as mixed or be mixed.

Obama's daughters are technically mixed.

In fact Obama's marriage could be considered interracial. If Obama had a white wife ppl would say it was interracial. But then again, Michell Obama has mixed ancestry as well.

Stop playing identity police.

Sorry, we're not in Brazil. No one is going to split hairs over mixed people, because no one cares. You want people to split hairs to find every excuse why they shouldn't be considered black, then you're better off peddling that crap in Latin America where it's widely embraced.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Actually, you may find this hard to believe, but I don't even care. I could care less about so-called mixed people. Who only want to be black when it's convinient to them. When I hear about Brazilans and their Pardos it makes me sick to my stomach.

Anyway, you fail to realize one thing about America. It's not about where you're from, what you're mixed with, and your cultural background. It's all about how you look. You look black, you are black. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, that's really the extent of race in America. America simply doesn't put that much effort into ethnicity. Never had, and never will. If you can glance at someone, you should be able to figure out what they are in 3 seconds. If you can't put them in a category, then you just call them mixed. Out of site, out of mind.
I asked you a question, so it's not about whether or not you care or not. I asked because ppl seem to forget that the one drop is a racist white supremacist ideology that pushes the inferiority of blackness, and thar blacks who support such have Stockholm syndrome. Why would a black person want to support an idea that was meant to further oppress and keep them down. Lol and smh.

And you are sadly mistaken. Hispanics and Latinos and Arabs are often exempt from the racist one drop rule. Ppl think of Hispanics, Latinos, Arabs, as something other than black, even though many are racially part black in varying degrees lol. So your claim that USA categorizes mixed or people mixed with black as black does not always happen.

This is about identity. Oppression is another story. Also black people are not always accepting. Black people sometimes pick and choose when they feel a person is black or not black enough depending on the circumstances or context or situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas