Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 08:31 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I understood what you were saying. My point is that those names don't seem as common today as the totally made up names.
I don't really have much respect for the totally made up names. First, I personally take names and the meanings of names seriously and prefer a little deliberate history and intention to a name. I would not demand that a name be specific to "our group," but I'd like my child to not say (as Bruce Willis did in "Pulp Fiction") "I'm an American; my name don't mean *****."

Second, a made-up name has a high probability of either being stupid or simply being an awkward spelling of a "real" name...or just awkward.

Most people simply aren't genuinely creative enough to invent a beautiful name. Linguistic art requires just as much talent in its genre as any other--not everyone knows how to coordinate colors pleasantly either. I don't know what you'd call "feng shui" for names, but names need it too. The benefit of a traditional name from any culture is that it's stood the test of time.

The names my wife and I chose for our children are Hebrew and chosen for their meanings. In my son's case, it also happened to fit that I could name him after my great-great-grandfather (the pioneer patriarch who took the family West out of Mississippi after the Civil War)--and that also imparts meaning.

So I don't have a problem with the black Americans who gave their children Muslim names during the 70s and 80s--at least not if they did with meaningful intention rather than fashion. There are some unfortunate Kizzies and Kuntas born in the late 70s.

And, yes, I know that white people can get on the fashion name bandwagon too--which is why a white character can utter Bruce Willis' line. Naming a girl Brooklyn is only slightly less stupid than naming a girl La-a (pronounced "La Dash Ah").

Old 11-28-2013, 08:34 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Actually, you may find this hard to believe, but I don't even care. I could care less about so-called mixed people. Who only want to be black when it's convinient to them. When I hear about Brazilans and their Pardos it makes me sick to my stomach.

Anyway, you fail to realize one thing about America. It's not about where you're from, what you're mixed with, and your cultural background. It's all about how you look. You look black, you are black. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, that's really the extent of race in America. America simply doesn't put that much effort into ethnicity. Never had, and never will. If you can glance at someone, you should be able to figure out what they are in 3 seconds. If you can't put them in a category, then you just call them mixed. Out of site, out of mind.
Actually you may find this hard to believe but I believe in equality and freedoms for all people and am very anti one droppist. One droppism is racism and a bastion of segregationist Jim Crow thinking. In addition I call out all bull**** and hypocrisy that can help society move forward into the right direction and for progression and a better future.

I also continue to fight racism.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Actually, you may find this hard to believe, but I don't even care. I could care less about so-called mixed people. Who only want to be black when it's convinient to them. When I hear about Brazilans and their Pardos it makes me sick to my stomach.

Anyway, you fail to realize one thing about America. It's not about where you're from, what you're mixed with, and your cultural background. It's all about how you look. You look black, you are black. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, that's really the extent of race in America. America simply doesn't put that much effort into ethnicity. Never had, and never will. If you can glance at someone, you should be able to figure out what they are in 3 seconds. If you can't put them in a category, then you just call them mixed. Out of site, out of mind.
And that depends on what one defines or considers as looking black.

One group’s perception of what is “White”, “Black”, “Asian”, “Mixed” whatever might not be anothers. In one culture you might be seen as Black, in another you wouldn’t. The Masses vary by region
Ultimately, the dichotomy of Black and White introduced in Jim Crow (believe it or not, one droppism and what not was not a part of slavery) has caused a lot of these antagonisms. Forcing people to pick sides.

Yep, no reading comprehension. I told you you had a choice, but that African American choice was influenced by what its cultural parameters for Black are. Jim Crow created a much larger community that identifies as Black as it fused in mixed groups as well. So your choice is still affected by what you see growing up. And again, it is not just you the individual, it is about general trends.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:41 AM

284 posts, read 641,077 times
why the hell do all these threads turn into a how much one person is mixed with etc etc.
CAN YALL EVER STAY ON TOPIC???!!!

Old 11-28-2013, 08:45 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
I asked you a question, so it's not about whether or not you care or not. I asked because ppl seem to forget that the one drop is a racist white supremacist ideology that pushes the inferiority of blackness, and thar blacks who support such have Stockholm syndrome. Why would a black person want to support an idea that was meant to further oppress and keep them down. Lol and smh.

Yeah, about that. Let's see, it's like 1865. White people want to kill black people. Some black people were able to con their way into prosperity because they had lighter skin. They have recent relatives who are black. This seemingly disrupts the power structure.

Their reaction?

One drop rule.

Does the "one drop rule" even apply anymore. The dynamics of race relations in America have completely changed, and are more robust, that the one drop rule is pretty much irrelevant. There really isn't much of a racial hierachy anymore. People black as night can get ahead in this country. It doesn't matter who succeeds in America.

One drop rule was a marginalization tool when America's value system was based largely on race. It isn't even applicable anymore.

Quote:
This is about identity. Oppression is another story. Also black people are not always accepting. Black people sometimes pick and choose when they feel a person is black or not black enough depending on the circumstances or context or situation.

They aren't always accepting. They're just 20x more accepting than anything coming out of Africa or Latin America.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
why the hell do all these threads turn into a how much one person is mixed with etc etc.
CAN YALL EVER STAY ON TOPIC???!!!

If I were to take a wild guess this Melis guy is probably some mixed guy, and people always call him black. He apparently has a problem with it, and needs to intellectualize the reason why he should be separate from other black people.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Sorry, we're not in Brazil. No one is going to split hairs over mixed people, because no one cares. You want people to split hairs to find every excuse why they shouldn't be considered black, then you're better off peddling that crap in Latin America where it's widely embraced.
Ain't nobody splitting hairs here. The only one splitting hairs here is YOU. All I'm saying is respect how people choose to identify is their business, and one can identify as more than one thing and still be loyal and help do much for their respective ethnic groups.

For example a person can be black and Native American and do much positively for helping advance both communities.

You are no better than the white supremacists you mentioned in your posts. Your statement is really no different. Just the inverse.

One drop rule is racist, and sadly perpetuates an us vs them mentality. If you were for anti racism and equality, then a persons personal identity choice wouldn't matter to you and it wouldn't be of any hindrance to to black American people. That's why there is so much colorism.

Also there wouldn't be black people complaining about Zoe Saldana playing Nina Simone or other actors and actresses playing darker skinned black celebrities or figures in history and claims that the actors portaying such are too light or not black enough?? Hm

Why complain, if all are black regardless of skin color and mixture? That's an example of the hypocrisy of black community.

And btw I honestly don't give a **** what white people say. They are NOT gods and they certainly don't rule this earth. It's amazing how people like you serve and give whites clemency and power and give it to them on a platter. Smh

Old 11-28-2013, 08:47 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Sure, blacks are people who parents came to America 300 years ago as slaves. Created great thing like Jazz, blues, and soul music. Because that's OUR creation, not Africa's. Sorry Africa, gets no credit. Just to show you that black Americans are much better.
Black American culture is one of its own. After personally going through the cycles of being designated "colored," "negro," "black," "Afro-American," and "African-American," I still stay with "black" when necessary to describe myself.

Quote:
I don't include latinos blacks as being black, because I would prefer those who have no self esteem or self pride no to sponge on the success of smart, industrious, and confident black Americans. I guess they'll have to find their own way. So that's what "black" means. We were black before we were ever African Americans. We're black Americans, with a superior culture, way more money than any black person in the world.
Most people of mixed African and Latino heritage who come from a Spanish-speaking home don't call themselves by any term that would link them to "Americans of African slave heritage." I can see why they wouldn't -- Latino culture is more complete and identifiable, especially if you do, indeed come from a Spanish-speaking home.

It can certainly be complex, though, and many are as unsettled about their heritage and live lives of cultural inner-conflict.

Quote:
So blacks in America have nothing to be ashamed of. People in my gradmother's generation fought every disadvantage and were still successful in this country. That's a black American, that's part of black American culture. When John Coltrane was able to get on the sax back in the 50s and throw down on it in ways no one could imagine. No matter what color you were, you just had to respect it. The same with Miles Davis.
Which is not to say that white Americans did not do their damnest to make blacks in America ashamed of what we were for a couple of hundred years. That is why the "Black is Beautiful" movement began. We began calling ourselves "black" as a political statement.

Quote:
Mr. Perez from south of the border who was brought here as a slave has ancestors who has contributed nada. But people want to be Mr. Perez before they want to be Mr. Jenkins, Smith, Williams, or Mr. Jackson? The F outta here. We don't need culture from Africa, we've already created a superior one. Sure I'm not fond of the gangsta rap stuff, but hey people have been able to profit from it and become multi millionaires. That's capitalism for you, and you gotta love it.
No, I'm not accepting "gangsta" culture. That's more or less why I stayed with "black." Yeah, call me stuck-in-the-60s, but things went wayward after "Afro-American."

I'm not sure why--I was overseas during the 70s, so I didn't see what happened (but Jeri-curls were a bad sign).

My daughter and I were watching a program on BET that purported to describe African-American culture. After the end of the program, my daughter announced, "I guess I'm not African-American." I agreed.

Quote:
My view of black is very simple. If you traced your family tree back to America hundreds of years ago. And when I say America I mean USA.
I think you meant to add "and have African slave ancestry," because of course, many white people can trace their family trees back to America hundreds of years ago.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:

Yes, where you are from influences how people percieve you actually. That's why people often don't consider Jennifer Lopez to be a black woman, but they will turn around and view Mariah Carey, Beyonce, or Rihanna, or Jennifer Beals as a black woman.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
And that depends on what one defines or considers as looking black.

One group’s perception of what is “White”, “Black”, “Asian”, “Mixed” whatever might not be anothers. In one culture you might be seen as Black, in another you wouldn’t. The Masses vary by region
Ultimately, the dichotomy of Black and White introduced in Jim Crow (believe it or not, one droppism and what not was not a part of slavery) has caused a lot of these antagonisms. Forcing people to pick sides.

We're not that deep in America. Sorry. And we never will be. If I can't look at you and say that you're black, white, mexican, or asian then someone will just call you mixed. If someone looks at you and call you black, then you apparently look black to them. End of story. America will never had 90,000 ethnic groups like latin America has. If anything race will become ever more simplified, less genetically accurate, less historically accurate, and the good thing is, no one will care. It's all about individualism in America. No one cares about your ethnic background here. If you want to split hairs about what's mixed and not, it's a pretty short trip to your nearest back water latin American country. In the USA, we simply don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas