Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 09:56 PM

485 posts, read 2,245,872 times

Advertisements

Yes America is a big continent and what I mean by African Americans are the ones in the USA...Not Afro-Colombians, Not Afro Cubans, Not Afro Venezuelans, or Afro Dominicans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 09:58 PM

Like tell me your views, your opinions, have you been there? have you not been there? Would you like to go?

Old 11-26-2013, 10:48 AM

14 posts, read 54,574 times
Default Views on Latin America

I view Latin America as a very interesting area. I plan to visit next year. I was in Brownsville, TX 5 or 6 years ago. The people were very nice to me. I visited Tijuana, MX as a child while visiting San Diego, CA. That is the extent of my Latin American travels so far.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:06 AM

204 posts, read 309,702 times
You guys party hard!

Old 11-26-2013, 11:17 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
First I'm black, not African American. I know what you mean, but I don't like that name.

Secondly, I don't like Latin America very much. And I'll go on to tell you why. I use to be a black man who drank the cool-aid and dated a lot interracially. One of the easiest groups of women to date were latin American women. So I started to meet women from Mexico, Hondoras, El Salvador, Venezuela, Chilie, Columbia, and Brazil. I've dated women from the above ethnic groups. Don't get me wrong, my experiences weren't bad with these groups, and that's not where my dislike comes from.

But being with these women made me curious about Latin America. I found myself asking "what does someone from Mexico think of Spain?" I sought out the answers by either asking Mexicans (there were a ton around) or reading the books and history. I came to find Latin America a very interesting place to read about, and it's colonial history is quite fascinating. There are a lot of beautiful people in Latin America, and it probably has the most exotic looking women on the planet.

But I always hated how Latin America deals with race issues. Now I'm a quasi successful black man. I may not become much more successful than I am now, but I've come a long way. Back when I was purposely seeking out Latin women, I was in a different place career wise, and politically. But as I evolved in both my career and politically, I started to have a problem with what I read about Latin America just years earlier. I come from a long family of people who were born with disadvantages, and achieved despite them. My grandmother retired as a nurse at 58 years old, but was raised as a share croppper where no one got more than a 6th grade education. I found that Latin America's obsession with colorism, race, and casting based on race was a direct spit in the face on people like my mother, my father, my grandmother, who all did something more with their lives despite being black, or being raised poor.

That's what I hate about Latin America. It's so much more about the color of your skin, that people try to be white as much as possible. I'm proud to be who I am, I'm proud to be a black American. I'm proud to be in this country that does reward hard work, ingenuity, good ideas, etc. So I can't help but to have my stomach turn when I see the situation is Latin America. It's like the people lack spirit, because they believe in a racial caste system, and feels the only way out is to be someone different than themselves. And I do find the attitude in many of the young black kids today, who want so desperately to identify as mixed, because they may feel being "black" isn't good enough.

That's just my 2 cents

Old 11-26-2013, 06:31 PM

530 posts, read 1,359,859 times
My general view of Latin America is a poorer but very beautiful region.

Places that interest me in Latin America:
- Rio de Janeiro
- Cuba
- Amazon Rainforest
- Cancun

Old 11-27-2013, 06:58 PM

to branh0913, first of all I said African American because Black people were not only in the USA but also Canada, and other parts of Latin America. Just like your question "what does someone from Mexico think of Spain?" I asked this because I wanted to see like how the Afro Latin Americans and the African Americans got along.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:46 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
to branh0913, first of all I said African American because Black people were not only in the USA but also Canada, and other parts of Latin America. Just like your question "what does someone from Mexico think of Spain?" I asked this because I wanted to see like how the Afro Latin Americans and the African Americans got along.

They get along just fine. And the term African American is wrong. It's simply Black American. I'm going to keep telling people not to say it, until they get the point.

Black Americans (not African Americans, such a stupid name) get along just fine with Afro-Latinos. I guess. The reality is they get along with blacks until the find a way to seperate themselves from blacks. So that they can not be "lumped in" with black Americans. You know so they don't inherit all of the disadvantages of being black in America. Despite blacks in America are far richer, have far more talented, and have far more power than blacks anywhere in the world. Despite being lower percentage of America's population compared to blacks anywhere else in the world. As to where the logic comes from, who knows. But Black Latinos never struck me as being all that smart to begin with.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:49 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Spicy food... Hot women... Cocaine... Pope

Old 11-28-2013, 07:44 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
They get along just fine. And the term African American is wrong. It's simply Black American. I'm going to keep telling people not to say it, until they get the point.

Black Americans (not African Americans, such a stupid name) get along just fine with Afro-Latinos. I guess. The reality is they get along with blacks until the find a way to seperate themselves from blacks. So that they can not be "lumped in" with black Americans. You know so they don't inherit all of the disadvantages of being black in America. Despite blacks in America are far richer, have far more talented, and have far more power than blacks anywhere in the world. Despite being lower percentage of America's population compared to blacks anywhere else in the world. As to where the logic comes from, who knows. But Black Latinos never struck me as being all that smart to begin with.
People with closed minds should have CLOSED mouths. You should travel a bit more and get more exposure. Blanket statements tend to be innacurate as they hold up in some cases and not in others. The lens of viewing things in a one size fits all matter will never serve a great purpose at all and you'll never understand or get it right. Travel more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas