U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 04:16 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,996,182 times

Advertisements

So BBC News posted this article about rising obesity rates in the developing world: BBC News - Obesity quadruples to nearly one billion in developing world

And I was particularly taken aback by Latin America, where the rate of overweight or obese adults has nearly doubled since 1980, to a point almost on par with Europe and not too far behind North America- home of the infamously fat USA.

With that said I'm not totally surprised; on my last trip to Puerto Rico I noticed way more obese people then when I was there in the 90's, and one guy in Mexico was over 1,000 lbs a few years ago. It seems to me like many people think of this as a "first world problem", but that's really not the case.

To those with experience, how extensively does the Latin American media report the issue? Any comments on the situations of particular nations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 09:20 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,479,522 times
The Mcdonaldization of the world my friend

Quick and cheap food for all emerging economies that embrace capitalism both its virtues and its flaws

Old 01-04-2014, 11:09 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,238,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
So BBC News posted this article about rising obesity rates in the developing world: BBC News - Obesity quadruples to nearly one billion in developing world

And I was particularly taken aback by Latin America, where the rate of overweight or obese adults has nearly doubled since 1980, to a point almost on par with Europe and not too far behind North America- home of the infamously fat USA.

With that said I'm not totally surprised; on my last trip to Puerto Rico I noticed way more obese people then when I was there in the 90's, and one guy in Mexico was over 1,000 lbs a few years ago. It seems to me like many people think of this as a "first world problem", but that's really not the case.

To those with experience, how extensively does the Latin American media report the issue? Any comments on the situations of particular nations?

Most people want it to be an American problem so they can do what they love doing and say bad things about the United States. In reality, in the third world countries ive been to, I see a ton of fat (obese) people. It's far from a first world problem, hard from an American problem.

This world is becoming LAZY. Everyone wants a scapegoat, McDonald's isn't to blame.. the laziness of the people is to blame. Culture is another thing to blame. 50 years ago, being fat was a bad thing and was not ok, now it is embraced.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:55 AM

2,570 posts, read 4,654,867 times
Well, unfortunately, this is true.

Obesity is on the rise here in Brazil.

People are eating too much.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:23 AM

7,682 posts, read 8,487,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post

Puerto Rico has then highest obesity rate in the United States. It's even higher than the Deep South. The first time I went to Puerto Rico I was astonished at the amount of obese people, the women in particular. I did not seem to see as many obese men as I did obese women. The US Department of Health & Human Services and the CDC has been sounding the alarm over Puerto Rico's obesity problem for years but nobody on the island seems to take notice.

IMO it has nothing to do with McDonald's or any fast food chain but rather that the cultural values in Latin America tend to see 'plumpness' as a good thing and combined with their traditional diets it is not surprising that they have such obesity rates. Simply put, they view fat in the way we view fit.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:10 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,996,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Puerto Rico has then highest obesity rate in the United States. It's even higher than the Deep South. The first time I went to Puerto Rico I was astonished at the amount of obese people, the women in particular. I did not seem to see as many obese men as I did obese women. The US Department of Health & Human Services and the CDC has been sounding the alarm over Puerto Rico's obesity problem for years but nobody on the island seems to take notice.

IMO it has nothing to do with McDonald's or any fast food chain but rather that the cultural values in Latin America tend to see 'plumpness' as a good thing and combined with their traditional diets it is not surprising that they have such obesity rates. Simply put, they view fat in the way we view fit.
Excellent post, especially about the cultural component. I come from a Puerto Rican family, and the mentality in the culture is to eat as much as you can while you can; and compared to Wasp men, latinos don't mind fat women as much, if not going so far as to even prefer a partner who's a little overweight. I once debated my sociology professor on this; he wanted to chalk disparities in US obesity rates entirely up to financial access to healthy food, but with many Latino people here they have a totally different attitude about eating and weight than white people.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:23 PM

490 posts, read 1,500,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
The Mcdonaldization of the world my friend

Quick and cheap food for all emerging economies that embrace capitalism both its virtues and its flaws
Yes but don't be so quick to just blame McDonald's. Mexico is poor but, it's economy is getting better. Also, Mexicans tend to eat a lot of red meats, tortillas, beans, cheese, and a lot of their foods are fried. Of course Mexican food can be healthy and delicious but, many mexicans eat lots of meats, cheese, consume a lot of fats and refined sugars, lots of salty foods too. The McDonaldization that you say is part of the problem. Not the whole problem

Old 01-06-2014, 02:25 PM

I don't know about other Latin American countries. Haven't heard of Chile, Argentina, Colombia or Peru experience health or obesity problems.

What I think is out of whack is that the Mexican government is taking measures to combat obesity by taxing junk foods, and people are going crazy over a 1.5 pesos ($0.15 USD) tax.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:04 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,238,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
I don't know about other Latin American countries. Haven't heard of Chile, Argentina, Colombia or Peru experience health or obesity problems.

What I think is out of whack is that the Mexican government is taking measures to combat obesity by taxing junk foods, and people are going crazy over a 1.5 pesos ($0.15 USD) tax.

Then you go there and realize how many fat people you see

If I were in Mexico, I'd be pissed if the government tried putting a tax on things for that reason. It's pathetic and the government should stay out of people's lives.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Then you go there and realize how many fat people you see

If I were in Mexico, I'd be pissed if the government tried putting a tax on things for that reason. It's pathetic and the government should stay out of people's lives.
People say they don't want the government in their lives but, who makes the freeways and highways? Who provides the police and firefighters? Without government we would live in a crazy chaotic Darwinian world where only the fittest survive. Where you have to screw someone over or be screwed. I think that it is very stupid to have a cow over a 10 cent tax on a chocolate bar. Also, I think they need it, being that the general public in most countries aren't smart or know things. They won't know or even bother to look up things on their own, also not everyone is a dietetic, doctor, chemist, engineer, etc.

Another thing is, if there was a big tax and/or tax on something like Medicine, or actual foods that we need, Not some stupid 1 peso tax on cheetos or lays bag, then they should protest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M5X--EH_zE#t=38
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or