Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 01:49 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I personally don't think there is anything respectable about a mixed race identity. What have mixed people done that was as significant anyone of one race has done?
Well, one of them is currently President of the USA.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:16 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Boom...this.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Yep, and not to mention that people of African descent are in the interior as well of Colombia and there is lots internal migrations.

Colombia is largely tri racial. So most Colombians do in fact have African ancestry in varying degrees. In fact most Colombians one meets, even the whitest ones will tell you that they had a black biasabuelo or bisabuelo. Most people are a mix of multiple races and ethnicities under and within one nation.

I don't know why ppl ignore this.

The term "Afrodescendant" is hardly one droppist. It just recognizes that one has that ancestry.
No idea regarding the actual breakdown in Colombia, but the bold definitely includes my husband. Pale as ever (and sometimes perceived as white alone) but has an African great-grandparent. While he is more or less a mixture of Euro/Indio and considers himself mestizo, he acknowledges all of his ancestry.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:23 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
No idea regarding the actual breakdown in Colombia, but the bold definitely includes my husband. Pale as ever (and sometimes perceived as white alone) but has an African great-grandparent. While he is more or less a mixture of Euro/Indio and considers himself mestizo, he acknowledges all of his ancestry.
Where is your husband from?

And yes, that's a further great example of what I'm talking about.. Most Latinos claim all their ancestries. I find that many people from Latin America embrace it all. It's very interesting how others try to claim that most Latinos are in denial of something, and if one digs further and asks the right questions and travels they'll realize that many claim all of what they are.

Great example you gave btw caribdoll!

Old 01-10-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Where is your husband from?

And yes, that's a further great example of what I'm talking about.. Most Latinos claim all their ancestries. I find that many people from Latin America embrace it all. It's very interesting how others try to claim that most Latinos are in denial of something, and if one digs further and asks the right questions and travels they'll realize that many claim all of what they are.

Great example you gave btw caribdoll!

Colombian via parentage. Agree with you that generally Latinos tend to acknowledge their heritage, even though there are color/racial issues there like anywhere else. Often times it is the expectations of others when it comes to the manner in which they claim their ancestry that is the issue.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Colombian via parentage. Agree with you that generally Latinos tend to acknowledge their heritage, even though there are color/racial issues there like anywhere else. Often times it is the expectations of others when it comes to the manner in which they claim their ancestry that is the issue.
Hmm I could have sworn you said he was Puerto Rican and/or Dominican on another thread? Hmm, but I see. Cool. Have you gone to Colombia yet??

And yes I agree with you. There is lots of racism, classism, colorism, inequality, and stratification among Latin Americans and Latinos etc, just as much as in and among othe groups of people.

I think North Africa, Middle East, and Arab(ic) and Islamic world and cultures and nations come really close to the Latino and Latin American and Latin cultural based experiences. It's remarkable and strikingly mutually similar etc. It's amazing.

As some say, "the more things change, the more things stay the same".

Old 01-10-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Hmm I could have sworn you said he was Puerto Rican and/or Dominican on another thread? Hmm, but I see. Cool. Have you gone to Colombia yet??

And yes I agree with you. There is lots of racism, classism, colorism, inequality, and stratification among Latin Americans and Latinos etc, just as much as in and among othe groups of people.

I think North Africa, Middle East, and Arab(ic) and Islamic world and cultures and nations come really close to the Latino and Latin American and Latin cultural based experiences. It's remarkable and strikingly mutually similar etc. It's amazing.

As some say, "the more things change, the more things stay the same".
Nah. The post mentioned the Dominicans in the family via marriage. That's probably what you remember and perhaps the mention of having visited Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic in the past. Planning a trip to Colombia soon.

Regarding similarities with the Arab world and others mentioned, it isn't necessarily surprising considering that there were movements in the past that give a number of Latinos heritage in those regions. Of course, that's probably just scratching the surface of where you were going with that...

Old 01-10-2014, 01:00 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Actually that argument doesn't really work in your favor

Old 01-10-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
"Whiteness" in Latin America is self determined. Its generally based upon how one looks and not on one's actual ancestry. So a person can have a 'negro' or 'indio' parent and still be 'blanco'. Even Latin Americans as dark as Kerry Washington will say that they are not "black" and ones with obvious indigenous features will still state that they are 'white'.

I would estimate that 90% of 'white' Latin Americans have not so distant non-European ancestry.
Kerry Washington interestingly enough is half Jamaican, and her other half is from the Carolinas of the USA.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
"Whiteness" in Latin America is self determined. Its generally based upon how one looks and not on one's actual ancestry. So a person can have a 'negro' or 'indio' parent and still be 'blanco'. Even Latin Americans as dark as Kerry Washington will say that they are not "black" and ones with obvious indigenous features will still state that they are 'white'.

I would estimate that 90% of 'white' Latin Americans have not so distant non-European ancestry.
More than 1/3 of U.S. White Americans have detectable notable black African ancestry. White racial purity is largely a friggin' mythological hoax.

There is NO one drop rule in the USA, and anyone is free to choose their own personal self identity in the USA.

And most Latin Americans do openly acknowledge all of their ancestry. You just have to ask the right way and they'll tell you who in their family tree and lineage is what.

I find that the lightest ones often are open more about blackness and African ancestry lots of times.

But travel to the region and you will find a significant plethora of towns and villages that embrace their blackness and Afrodescendancy without hesitation 24/7. African and black identity has always been existent and strong in Latin American nations.

You can't take the one size fits all approach or manner or assumption of "if I don't see it must not exist or must not apply or must not be true".

You're intelligent. Dig deeper and look at the deeper and further nuances of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas