U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 06:07 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,799,944 times

Advertisements

Got the link from Fausta's blog but it shows the true state of Havana without government censorship. I never fully supported the embargo but this makes me shake my head in sorrow. Link @ La Habana sin filtros | Diario de Cuba

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-01-2016 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 08:16 AM

5,242 posts, read 8,051,046 times
The US is the only country with an embargo against Cuba. I always wonder why can't Cuba import the doors, paint, nails, etc from the rest of the world. They managed to become one of the top 4 tourist destinations in the Caribbean, despite the US embargo, with modern and luxurious resorts. If they can do that with the embargo, then I think the actual embargo explains little of the decay in Havana and other Cuban cities. I guess many people don't want to accept that Cuba's misery is much more the product of its economic/political system than the embargo from one country.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:51 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,799,944 times
Thanks for pointing that out.

They've just lifted the ban on buying new cars and I wonder where they're buying them from.

Wonder how many will continue to living like the picture while driving sparkling new cars?

Old 01-23-2014, 09:02 AM

6,932 posts, read 8,098,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The US is the only country with an embargo against Cuba. I always wonder why can't Cuba import the doors, paint, nails, etc from the rest of the world. They managed to become one of the top 4 tourist destinations in the Caribbean, despite the US embargo, with modern and luxurious resorts. If they can do that with the embargo, then I think the actual embargo explains little of the decay in Havana and other Cuban cities. I guess many people don't want to accept that Cuba's misery is much more the product of its economic/political system than the embargo from one country.
Distance is one. Cuba is right in our backyard. If the embargo ends, you could guarantee that the private interest in the US will flock to Cuba for investments.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:13 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,325,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post

Got the link from Fausta's blog but it shows the true state of Havana without government censorship. I never fully supported the embargo but this makes me shake my head in sorrow. Link @ La Habana sin filtros | Diario de Cuba
I have been to Havana and while it is not a place I have a burning desire to return to, I have to say that American perceptions of it a more than a little biased.

The urban decay of Havana is nothing when you compare it to places like Detroit... And Mo'town is rotting away embargo-free in the grand ol' USA. Try looking at your own country with the same critical eye you use on others. Seriously, do you think this looks any better than the photo posted above?

In other words: People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw cinder blocks.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:11 AM

448 posts, read 563,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
The urban decay of Havana is nothing when you compare it to places like Detroit...
Been to both places and you can't be serious.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:33 AM

2,241 posts, read 2,677,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Distance is one. Cuba is right in our backyard. If the embargo ends, you could guarantee that the private interest in the US will flock to Cuba for investments.
Not to mention the Cuban diaspora abroad may return to Cuba and help to further restore and rebuild.

It will be interesting to see where relations between Cuba and the USA are headed in the near future.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:35 AM

2,241 posts, read 2,677,750 times
Quote:
I think that Cuba and the USA are strange bed love partners behind the scenes. And Cuba needs the USA more than the USA needs Cuba

Old 01-23-2014, 01:47 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,265,752 times
Quote:

I hope the US doesn't end the embargo until the regime changes. I don't want to support a government that completely ruins the lives of its citizens.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:12 PM

8,602 posts, read 11,098,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I hope the US doesn't end the embargo until the regime changes. I don't want to support a government that completely ruins the lives of its citizens.
Let me know when one of those manifests anywhere in the world...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas