Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 08:42 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,434,327 times

Advertisements

Carnival is our most important holidays. Different states have different ways to celebrate it. Its a huge and very rich party, but it seams that its not so popular in USA.
Have you ever been to some of these parties? Do you watch on TV? How do you think americans from other contries knows or admire this season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 01:46 AM

195 posts, read 441,349 times
...Aaaaaand you forgot the most importantly, I think I'm not wrong that, at least 70% of our population (maybe more) just don't like that sh..t. This is the case when the minority gives a wrong impression of what is Brazil...

Old 02-15-2014, 05:01 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
The USA just doesn't have a carnival culture with an exception of New Orleans I think.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:22 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,434,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antma robel View Post
...Aaaaaand you forgot the most importantly, I think I'm not wrong that, at least 70% of our population (maybe more) just don't like that sh..t. This is the case when the minority gives a wrong impression of what is Brazil...
Even protestants that goes for a religion retirement are celebrating the holidays, people travel to quiet inns in the montains, not everybody goes for beaches and parties... But it doenst change the fact that its the most important season and when the turistic trade makes more money in Brazil. And YES its the most representative and one of the most cultural spots in Brazil. No other cultural activity has greatest impact in economy (jobs, billing...) and in life than Carnival in Brazil.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:48 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Yes, it's part of my culture. I've been to Carnival in Trinidad & Tobago, which is my country of descent. I've also been to the Caribbean-American ones here in the U.S.

As far as Brazil, I've watched parts of Carnival in Rio on TV and seen videos of the one in Salvador. Hope to be there for the festival one day.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:11 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,791,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antma robel View Post

What???

Maybe in Goias people don't enjoy Carnaval, but here in Ceará we love it, and I'm sure 80% of Brazilians love the Carnaval.

Carnaval is great!

Old 02-22-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Yes, it's part of my culture. I've been to Carnival in Trinidad & Tobago, which is my country of descent. I've also been to the Caribbean-American ones here in the U.S.

As far as Brazil, I've watched parts of Carnival in Rio on TV and seen videos of the one in Salvador. Hope to be there for the festival one day.

Best Carnaval in Brazil is in the city of Recife (and the neighboring town of Olinda).

Also, even in Rio de Janeiro the best Carnaval is NOT that carnival that you see on TV, with the "samba schools". The best carnaval in Rio is the STREET CARNIVAL, with the "blocos" and "cordões" that play "marchinhas". Very different of that "samba schools" boring TV show!

Old 02-22-2014, 06:49 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Most of the Brasilians that I know do not like Carnaval. They don't speak for the whole population though

Old 02-22-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Most of the Brasilians that I know do not like Carnaval. They don't speak for the whole population though
Let me try to guess it... Most Brazilians that you know are from the states of Rio Grande do Sul, Santa Catarina, Paraná and São Paulo? Did I got it right?

Old 02-22-2014, 07:07 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Let me try to guess it... Most Brazilians that you know are from the states of Rio Grande do Sul, Santa Catarina, Paraná and São Paulo? Did I got it right?
You got São Paulo right haha :P A few are from João Pessoa and another two are from Rio

Actually the person from Paraná (Curitiba) that I know likes Carnival!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas