U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 09:27 AM

21,374 posts, read 19,301,005 times

Advertisements

Stumbled upon this ranking of the best Brazilian cities in terms of human development:
http://atlasbrasil.org.br/2013/ranking

The first city whose name people might be familiar with is Brasilia ranked 9th. The next famous city is probably Belo Horizonte ranked 20th. São Paulo is 28th, Rio only 45

A photo of the winner:
http://viananegociosimobiliarios.fil...3a3o-paulo.jpg

PS: Please don't post in the other thread of the same title, seems I accidentally sent it twice due to my Internet problems...
I have already asked moderators to delete the other thread...

Last edited by Neuling; 02-21-2014 at 10:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 10:01 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,224,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Stumbled upon this ranking of the best Brazilian cities in terms of human development:
http://atlasbrasil.org.br/2013/ranking

The first city whose name people might be familiar with is Brasilia ranked 9th. The next famous city is probably Belo Horizonte ranked 20th. São Paulo is 28th, Rio only 45
A lot of those cities could easily be lumped into the bigger ones which probably plays into it.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
A lot of those cities could easily be lumped into the bigger ones which probably plays into it.
No, those are totally independent cities, some of them are located in the state of São Paulo, within which São Paulo is just one city, albeit the biggest of course. It's like with NYC and NY state. Nobody would say Buffalo can be lumped together with NYC.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:09 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,224,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
No, those are totally independent cities, some of them are located in the state of São Paulo, within which São Paulo is just one city, albeit the biggest of course. It's like with NYC and NY state. Nobody would say Buffalo can be lumped together with NYC.
Idk, I'd be tempted to just say Niteroi is a part of Rio across the bridge. They are separate, but some could be lumped in. A lot of people consider Long Island just part of New York. Ft. Lauderdale part of Miami etc etc

Old 02-21-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Idk, I'd be tempted to just say Niteroi is a part of Rio across the bridge. They are separate, but some could be lumped in. A lot of people consider Long Island just part of New York. Ft. Lauderdale part of Miami etc etc
Niterói yes, it's like SF and Oakland, which however are both keen on their distinctness.

Most of the top ranked places are at a safe distance from the huge cities, though. Some are big cities themselves, although few people outside Brazil have ever heard of them.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:01 AM

2,564 posts, read 4,651,676 times
Other nice cities in Brazil that you probably never heard about include Sobral and Mossoró.

Both have a climate as hot as hell! You can fry an egg in the asphalt of the streets.

But are still nice cities.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:14 AM

32,063 posts, read 32,962,795 times
Last night I saw a Globe Trekker program about Brazilian food that mentioned a few Brazilian cities that I had never heard of. It definitely made me more interested in learning more about Brazil.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:27 AM

11,435 posts, read 6,398,275 times
I've heard of Florianopolis before and it's number three

Old 02-27-2014, 07:48 AM

712 posts, read 678,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Other nice cities in Brazil that you probably never heard about include Sobral and Mossoró.
Never.
Are they from inland northeast?? I mean, as you say they are very hot.

A rather large city I did hear of but generally poorly known and rarely mentioned around here is Natal. Now it has taken a bit more relevance as it will host some matches for the World Cup. Actually, the fact that the city is one of the 12 selected cities for the Cup looked surprising. What about Natal?

Old 02-27-2014, 02:17 PM

2,564 posts, read 4,651,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Never.
Are they from inland northeast?? I mean, as you say they are very hot.

A rather large city I did hear of but generally poorly known and rarely mentioned around here is Natal. Now it has taken a bit more relevance as it will host some matches for the World Cup. Actually, the fact that the city is one of the 12 selected cities for the Cup looked surprising. What about Natal?

The jokes about the heat in Sobral and Mossoró are many, including the classic one about the water boiling in the water tanks of the houses.

But the cities are indeed nice. Not big cities (both are under 300 thousand people), but are nice. Good infrastructre, and booming economy. And the shopping malls in both cities have air conditioning!

About Natal, it's a very nice city, I have been there dozens of times (it's close to Fortaleza, where I live). The city was a little unlucky in the past few years regarding the mayors who got elected there, but it's still a nice place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas