U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2014, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
2,572 posts, read 4,657,259 times
Reputation: 1562

Advertisements

Well, I just want to alert all of you to take any "bad news" that your hear about Brazil this year of 2014 with a grain of salt.

2014 is election year in Brazil.

The first round of the presidential elections will be held on October 5, 2014.

The opposition parties, with the support of the majority of Brazil's mass media (a mass media that usually acts like a political party) are already in full "disguised campaign" mode. The "disguised campaign" consists in a campaign to undermine the current government in every way they can, so the oppositon may win in October.


Well, just want to alert you that the UK media and the USA media also "have a side", and it's the side of the Brazilian opposition.

In the USA, both the Republican Party and the Democratic Party don't like the current government of Brazil, and the Department of State would love to replace it by the "old school" guys from the 90's.

It's a bit of unfair, since the current Brazilian government always tried to maintain a civilized relationship with the USA, and never had any "anti-American" rhetorics, but it seems that's "not enough" to a part of the American elite.

Apparently, they want a government in Brazil that could be just a "branch" of the U.S. Department of State, receiving orders directly from the U.S. Embassy in Brasília. Just like in the "good old times".

They want a Brazilian government that antagonizes and harasses Venezuela, and stuff like that...

Well, too bad for them...


In the case of the UK... Well, the British elite seems to do always exactly what the American elite wants, don't ask me why...


So, keep in mind that the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal, The Economist, the Financial Times, The Telegraph, The Times, and most of the US and UK media clearly have a side in the Brazilian elections, and it's the same side of most of Brazil's own domestic press (that traditionally acts like a political party, and even supported the military dictatorship in the 60's and the 70's).

The Brazilian media have a well known method to try to undermine the government, and "give a little help" to the oppostion. It's the method of exaggerating every bad news, and trying to hide, or downplaying, every good news.

Right now, they are using this method like crazy here... As they always do in election year, since "their guys" lost the power in 2003.


Beware that most of the US and UK media is just reproducing this method created by the Brazilian media, in an attempt to influence the results of Brazil's presidential elections in October.

And they have the full support of the U.S. Department of State for that.


Well, that's sad. Just want to say to all Americans and British people here that Brazilians don't hate you for that. It's not your fault. It's the fault of your government and your media, shamelessly trying to influence the election results in a foreign sovereign nation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2014, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
2,572 posts, read 4,657,259 times
Reputation: 1562
By the way, beware of "Brazilian posters" who are posting in English language on YouTube, Facebook, and other websites.

Many of them are just militants of Brazil's right wing parties.

The vast majority of Brazilians don't speak English and can't post in English, so most people that make posts in English in the internet are guys from the traditional elites, and the traditional elites of Brazil hate the current government (the reason is also a mystery, since the current government never did anything bad against them, but maybe the traditional elites feel they are "losing control", since they can't giver orders to the government like they used to do in the past).

So, the fact is that most Brazilians who post in English are elite guys who support the right wing parties, and oppose the current government.

I am truly an exception. There are very few like me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 04:30 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,936,205 times
Reputation: 3799
I don't think that the people demonstrating against gov't waste and poor education and healthcare were the elites. We saw this, but I don't see of what benefit is there for this not to be reported.

We hear about violence in the favelas but then we did before Lula appeared on the scene. Indeed I will say that we get a more favorable image of Brazil now. That is when we hear anything about Brazil. Which isn't often and indeed strange, given its tremendous importance in the Americas. We hear more about Pakistan and Afghanistan, and even Chechnya.

Most Americans, no longer see it as merely carnaval, futbol, sexy ladies, etc. Some are even aware that our iconic beer (Budweiser) is now Brazilian owned! Brazil is now more seen in terms of its strong industrial economy and increasing middle class. At least so its reported on media like Bloomberg and CNBC which aim at the financial elites.

The lunatic right pay little attention to Brazil in the media. If there isn't possibilities for a war or an exercise in US bullyism they ignore it. When last I checked I don't think that Brazil was vulnerable to bullying from any, and in fact is capable of its own bullying.

As I am sure that you know, most Americans aren't interested in anything beyond their driveway, unless it has direct impact on their pockets, or their lives.

I will say that the coverage which Lula received, and Dilma Rouseff receives is favorable. the US media goes to great pains to let us know that these aren't the "lunatics" who populate Venezuela.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
2,572 posts, read 4,657,259 times
Reputation: 1562
caribny, if you pay close attention, you will notice how that somewhat "favorable" coverage that Lula and Dilma received in American media a few years ago have radically changed in the past one year or so... it's the effect of the elections nearing, and the decision of the US Department of State to take down the Workers' Party government in these elections, SPECIALLY after the Brazilian government decided to confront the NSA spying

and about the people "demonstrating against government waste and poor eduation and healthcare"... well those less than 1% of Brazilians who participated in some kind of demonstrations in the past 10 months are maybe not all members of the elite, but are surely manipulated by the traditional elite who NEVER cared about education and healthcare, but now "suddenly" want everyone to protest about it, just because the elections are nearing, and they think the protests will be "bad" for the current government, and so will be "good" for the opposition candidates (THEIR candidates)

education and healthcare in Brazil now are MUCH BETTER than 12 years ago, when THEY were in power... of course it's far from being perfect yet, but if people didn't protest so virulently about it when it was MUCH WORSE, there is no reason for such virulent protests now, when things are improving

the level of manipulation of the news in the Brazilian media this year is reaching all time highs.... it's a crazy stuff...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2014, 06:24 AM
 
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
2,572 posts, read 4,657,259 times
Reputation: 1562
Things are getting more and more ridiculous...

Now they bribbed some Dannish journalist to pretend he was "shocked" with Fortaleza, and to invent fake stories about police killing children, without even a glimpse of proof.

As if we didn't have an independent and very active "Ministerio Publico" (similar to District Attorney office) to investigate cases like that, and the Ministerio Publico NEVER reported anything like that.

Things are gettting more and more ridiculous the more the World Cup and the elections approach.

Lies, fake stories, distortions, setups, manipulation. "Everything goes" to try to discredit Brazil, and Brazil's democratically elected authorities.

Nice to see they know how to create fake news to manipulate BOTH the "progressive" and the "conservative" foreign publics. They run lies and distortions to "shock" both sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2014, 12:08 PM
 
3,308 posts, read 2,767,510 times
Reputation: 2888
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I don't think that the people demonstrating against gov't waste and poor education and healthcare were the elites. We saw this, but I don't see of what benefit is there for this not to be reported.

We hear about violence in the favelas but then we did before Lula appeared on the scene. Indeed I will say that we get a more favorable image of Brazil now. That is when we hear anything about Brazil. Which isn't often and indeed strange, given its tremendous importance in the Americas. We hear more about Pakistan and Afghanistan, and even Chechnya.

Most Americans, no longer see it as merely carnaval, futbol, sexy ladies, etc. Some are even aware that our iconic beer (Budweiser) is now Brazilian owned! Brazil is now more seen in terms of its strong industrial economy and increasing middle class. At least so its reported on media like Bloomberg and CNBC which aim at the financial elites.

The lunatic right pay little attention to Brazil in the media. If there isn't possibilities for a war or an exercise in US bullyism they ignore it. When last I checked I don't think that Brazil was vulnerable to bullying from any, and in fact is capable of its own bullying.

As I am sure that you know, most Americans aren't interested in anything beyond their driveway, unless it has direct impact on their pockets, or their lives.

I will say that the coverage which Lula received, and Dilma Rouseff receives is favorable. the US media goes to great pains to let us know that these aren't the "lunatics" who populate Venezuela.
Agree 100% with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2014, 12:19 PM
 
1,981 posts, read 3,174,845 times
Reputation: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post

Well, that's sad. Just want to say to all Americans and British people here that Brazilians don't hate you for that. It's not your fault. It's the fault of your government and your media, shamelessly trying to influence the election results in a foreign sovereign nation...
It's sad that Brazil has such a corrupt, ineffective government in power currently. If Brazil wants to keep going down this broken path, that's your folks fault. Don't blame the USA or UK for trying to nudge the country into a more positive direction that will benefit the people of Brazil much more.

Venezuela, Bolivia, and Argentina are corrupt basket cases. Brazil needs to distance themselves from this fascist/socialism as quickly as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2014, 12:23 PM
 
1,981 posts, read 3,174,845 times
Reputation: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
They want a Brazilian government that antagonizes and harasses Venezuela, and stuff like that...

Well, too bad for them...
The people of Venezuela have suffered enough under the failed religious ideology of fascist/socialism. It is equally sad that some people in Brazil want to see the suffering continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2014, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
2,572 posts, read 4,657,259 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The people of Venezuela have suffered enough under the failed religious ideology of fascist/socialism. It is equally sad that some people in Brazil want to see the suffering continue.
It's not our problem.

Venezuela is a sovereign country. I know this concept is hard for Americans to understand.

Elections in Venezuela were considered fair by all the international observers. It's not the job of Brazil to mess with Venezuela's internal affairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2014, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
2,572 posts, read 4,657,259 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
It's sad that Brazil has such a corrupt, ineffective government in power currently. If Brazil wants to keep going down this broken path, that's your folks fault. Don't blame the USA or UK for trying to nudge the country into a more positive direction that will benefit the people of Brazil much more.

Venezuela, Bolivia, and Argentina are corrupt basket cases. Brazil needs to distance themselves from this fascist/socialism as quickly as possible.

Brazil has currently an EXCELLENT government, MUCH LESS CORRUPT than the right-wing governments from the past.

The current government of Brazil created all of the laws of transparency in the public administration that are now in place. Every department of the federal administration in Brazil now make internal informational available for the public in their internet websites, including the monthly WAGES of every single public servant, and details of their budget execution. It was the current government, of the Workers' Party, who created these transparency laws in the public administration.

Curious? Visit the Transparency Web Site of Brazil's federal government: http://www.portaltransparencia.gov.br/


There is much more corruption in government of the state of Sao Paulo, ruled by the right-wing PSDB party (the party that ruled Brazil in the 90's) than in the federal government of the Workers' Party.

It's the right-wing government of the state of Sao Paulo that is being accused of receiving millions in bribes from Alstom, Siemens, and other multinational corporations, in exchange for billionaire frauds in the bidding process for the works in the urban trains of Sao Paulo.


The federal government of the Workers' Party made Brazil a MUCH BETTER country than it was 12 years ago, when ruled by the PSDB. In EVERY SINGLE ASPECT. Brazil today is richer, has less social inequality, has way lower unemployment, has way more public universities, has better healthcare and better education, than in the 90's, when the PSDB ruled the country, and left it BROKE, pennyless, begging for money from the IMF. By the way, the average inflation during the years of the Workers' Party in power is lower than the average inflation in the years of the PSDB in power. The right-wing PSDB government of the 90's loses in EVERY SINGLE ASPECT to the government of the Workers' Party in the past 10 years. And loses by far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top