Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 09:18 AM

813 posts, read 1,128,224 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that Lima is only 3 places below Santiago in A.T. Kearney’s global cities index!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 05:47 PM

3,289 posts, read 3,762,796 times
Your guys hijacked this post converting it into a Lima vs Santiago post.

How about we try to go back to topic: immigration to Latin América.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:26 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,954,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Chile has immigrants from all over the world. I think Colombia is starting to gain more, and Brasil would probably be up there also.
That must be a new thing in Chile? I was there in 1997, and didn't pick up on any immigrant kind of vibe whatsoever.

But, I guess that was 17 years ago, and since then it has been getting the reputation as an economic miracle, which always attracts the immigrants to some degree.

Where are the majority of the immigrants to Chile coming from?

Old 07-17-2014, 11:32 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,954,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
There are quite a few Asians in Central America, mostly Koreans. They move there mostly to open up sweatshops. When you buy clothes from jc penny or target and it says made in Honduras or made in Guatemala chances are it was made by a 15 to 25 year old female who gets payed and treated like **** by her Korean boss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I have heard the same from factory workers in Tijuana, many single mothers who really need the jobs. It angers me that a holes come to make a profit and mistreat the local populations.
As a person who had the 'pleasure' to live in South Korea for 7-8 years, Koreans also treat each other terribly.

It was VERY COMMON for me to meet young Koreans who were simply NOT being paid their wages, due to the fact that their employer decided they didn't want them to quit, or just decidedly they couldn't afford to pay their employees.

Than the employees got in this weird situation where they just worked for free for a few extra months HOPING they'd get paid, and maybe they might, or maybe they never would. In Korea, wages are paid monthly, not weekly, so it was easy to work for NOTHING for a few months to finally come to the sad conclusion that you'll never get paid, and just give up.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:43 PM

493 posts, read 748,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That must be a new thing in Chile? I was there in 1997, and didn't pick up on any immigrant kind of vibe whatsoever.

But, I guess that was 17 years ago, and since then it has been getting the reputation as an economic miracle, which always attracts the immigrants to some degree.

Where are the majority of the immigrants to Chile coming from?
I saw mostly from peru and columbia.... other places maybe haiti. bolivia, U.S, Spain, Argentina etc

Old 07-20-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
As a person who had the 'pleasure' to live in South Korea for 7-8 years, Koreans also treat each other terribly.

It was VERY COMMON for me to meet young Koreans who were simply NOT being paid their wages, due to the fact that their employer decided they didn't want them to quit, or just decidedly they couldn't afford to pay their employees.

Than the employees got in this weird situation where they just worked for free for a few extra months HOPING they'd get paid, and maybe they might, or maybe they never would. In Korea, wages are paid monthly, not weekly, so it was easy to work for NOTHING for a few months to finally come to the sad conclusion that you'll never get paid, and just give up.
That is horrible and completely unacceptable. Unfortunately, I am not surprised

Old 07-20-2014, 05:41 PM

[URL="http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/09/22/world/americas/for-migrants-new-land-of-opportunity-is-mexico.html?pagewanted=all"]http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/09/22/world/americas/for-migrants-new-land-of-opportunity-is-mexico.html?pagewanted=all[/URL]

'For Migrants, new Land of Opportunity is Mexico'

Oh the ironies of life.

NY times article about the surge in migration to Mexico.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:17 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,297,910 times
Quote:

Thats pretty sad, It must be very demoralizing to a young person.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:39 PM

3,428 posts, read 6,284,346 times
I know Brazil is getting a lot of immigrants from Haiti. They enter the country through Acre, state in the Northern part of Brazil and often find themselves in small towns where there is no infrastructure, no jobs and they end up in makeshift shelters living in horrible conditions.

Many of these Haitians eventually get their papers and move on to other cities where they find jobs and are able to settle.

In Sao Paulo, there is a lot of immigrants from Bolivia and Paraguay who work in sweat shops.

In addition, Brazil is getting a lot of immigrants from Angola, Cape Verde, Portugal, Nigeria,Senegal, China and Korea.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:15 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,140,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
Ok! Great figures

What I can extrapolate from that is that if we look at the ratio between immigrants and general population, we can see that Argentina has most followed by Chile and in last place, Brazil. I'm surpriced at Brazil's low levels of immigration considering their huge population... the article suggested Brazil being a more attractive destination...
Outside Portugal and Brazil hardly anyone speaks Portuguese other than people who've already left those countries and some countries in Africa where most wouldn't have skills beyond manual labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas