Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:16 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,223 times

Advertisements

It seems like the percent foreign-born for Latin American countries is not particularly high. Only Costa Rica seems a bit higher than most others but many Latin Americans don't have more than a few % of the population foreign born. It seems like Europe and the Anglo countries have far more foreign born people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 01:26 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
It seems like the percent foreign-born for Latin American countries is not particularly high. Only Costa Rica seems a bit higher than most others but many Latin Americans don't have more than a few % of the population foreign born. It seems like Europe and the Anglo countries have far more foreign born people.
Chile has immigrants from all over the world. I think Colombia is starting to gain more, and Brasil would probably be up there also.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:21 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Costa Rica, Brazil, Mexico, and Colombia are countries that attract a lot of immigrants. Those are the countries I am familiar with, countries that I have been to and where I have seen immigrants first hand.

I assume there are still people going to Argentina? I used to teach and tutor a lot of Koreans and I met quite a few who grew up in Argentina and/or Mexico. It was quite interesting to have Spanish conversations with them.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:37 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,412 times
Some people from Spain and Portugal are moving to Latin America for work. I am guessing they are moving into the faster developing countries of Brazil Chile and Mexico. Although i am not exactly sure about the number.

Most of the Latin Americans who move to spain are from ecuador and Colombia

Old 04-16-2014, 07:47 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
There are quite a few Asians in Central America, mostly Koreans. They move there mostly to open up sweatshops. When you buy clothes from jc penny or target and it says made in Honduras or made in Guatemala chances are it was made by a 15 to 25 year old female who gets payed and treated like **** by her Korean boss.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
There are quite a few Asians in Central America, mostly Koreans. They move there mostly to open up sweatshops. When you buy clothes from jc penny or target and it says made in Honduras or made in Guatemala chances are it was made by a 15 to 25 year old female who gets payed and treated like **** by her Korean boss.
I have heard the same from factory workers in Tijuana, many single mothers who really need the jobs. It angers me that a holes come to make a profit and mistreat the local populations.

My mother owns a house on the coast of Baja California. We rented to a Korean couple who owned a factory there. The wife would make the most disparaging remarks and complain all of the time (ex: I can't believe a house like this exists in Mexico). I couldn't stand her, she was such a stuck up piece of work.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:02 PM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Surprisingly, Paraguay draws immigrants from Asia, Middle East and even some from Europe. It is a large country with a small population (7 million) that is relatively poor. Some immigrants might be attracted to Paraguay's agribusiness since they are one of the largest soybean producers in the world. There is even a colony of Mennonites that has been in Paraguay for a century or so in Nuevo Filadelfia. If you go to Ciudad del Este near Iguazu Falls, there is a very large middle eastern community where some neighborhoods seem far removed from the middle of South America.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Surprisingly, Paraguay draws immigrants from Asia, Middle East and even some from Europe. It is a large country with a small population (7 million) that is relatively poor. Some immigrants might be attracted to Paraguay's agribusiness since they are one of the largest soybean producers in the world. There is even a colony of Mennonites that has been in Paraguay for a century or so in Nuevo Filadelfia. If you go to Ciudad del Este near Iguazu Falls, there is a very large middle eastern community where some neighborhoods seem far removed from the middle of South America.
I think Asian and Middle Eastern immigrants are all over Latin America.

I have always been interested in visiting Paraguay. Is it true that everyone is bilingual in Spanish and the native language, I think Guarani?

Old 04-23-2014, 03:03 AM

227 posts, read 437,583 times
Chile has a lot of immigrants from Peru.
Argentina too.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:42 AM

491 posts, read 752,797 times
"In the middle-class kitchens of Chile, it is women from Peru who wash the dishes. The men who pick fruit in the vast agro-estates in Chilean valleys are Bolivians. And many of the men who chip copper from its mountains are Colombians.

The acceleration of Latin America’s largest economies has created an unprecedented flow of economic migration on the continent, pulling workers, both highly skilled and those seeking manual labour, from its poorest countries to its richest.
(..)

Chile is the first-choice destination for many Spanish-speaking migrants because work in Brazil requires knowledge of Portuguese. Chilean employers are delighted to have the guest workers because a recent surge in standards of living has left even low-income Chileans uninterested in jobs doing agricultural labour or domestic work. "

read more:
Latin America facing economic migration challenges - The Globe and Mail

Even though the Canadian article mentiones Latin America it seems they have focused more on Chile, so I suppose it's one of the most prefered countries to immigrate to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas