Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 03:11 PM

25 posts, read 36,935 times

Advertisements

I've heard mostly good things about Santiago but how are gringo's there treated as compared to regular Chilean people. I'm tall, blonde and blue eyed I'm quite the scandinavian would I be able to live safely and like make friends and stuff in Santiago? Thank you for all responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 04:45 PM

491 posts, read 752,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazziecatz View Post
I've heard mostly good things about Santiago but how are gringo's there treated as compared to regular Chilean people. I'm tall, blonde and blue eyed I'm quite the scandinavian would I be able to live safely and like make friends and stuff in Santiago? Thank you for all responses!
lol.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:35 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
It'll take you about that full year to figure out what they are saying. Accent and vocabulary are pretty unique. High school Spanish won't be much help to you.

I know a bunch of American ex-pats who live there with no issues.

I suggest that you join the Chile ex-pat forum and listen to what the Americans who reside there are saying about the country.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:22 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
I'm in Chile.

Most foreigners cannot become a real part of society because they just hang out with their expat group, don't learn Spanish and don't actually get involved with anyone from Chile.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It'll take you about that full year to figure out what they are saying. Accent and vocabulary are pretty unique. High school Spanish won't be much help to you.

I know a bunch of American ex-pats who live there with no issues.

I suggest that you join the Chile ex-pat forum and listen to what the Americans who reside there are saying about the country.
High school Spanish wouldn't be help to anyone wanting to form any type of relationship in a Spanish speaking country. If someone is moving to a country in Latin America and only have a high school level of Spanish, they're going to be in for a very rude awakening.

cachai?

Old 04-29-2014, 05:22 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
OP, you will always be the gringo to them. 1st generation immigrants almost never (by almost never, I mean 99%, the other 1% are, pretty much, immigrants who were born abroad but lived in their new country since about 5 years old or less) assimilate 100% into their new society, you will always be "that foreigner".

Old 04-29-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
OP, you will always be the gringo to them. 1st generation immigrants almost never (by almost never, I mean 99%, the other 1% are, pretty much, immigrants who were born abroad but lived in their new country since about 5 years old or less) assimilate 100% into their new society, you will always be "that foreigner".
But, is it always necessary to assimilate 100%? Where we are from makes us who we are. Just because you are still known as a foreigner doesn't mean a guy can't have friends and a healthy life in a different country.

I think the main thing here is that most foreigners who go abroad, go to the other country and isolate themselves with people who only speak their own language and don't actually put any effort into becoming a part of their new country. Those are the people who will never truly fit in, and honestly I think that sums up the majority of white expats that come to South America.

Just look at the United States. You see this all the time with immigrants, they refuse to talk to Americans and will only talk to their own people. Hang out with only their race and only speak their own language in public. White people aren't the only ones guilty of this.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:07 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
But, is it always necessary to assimilate 100%? Where we are from makes us who we are. Just because you are still known as a foreigner doesn't mean a guy can't have friends and a healthy life in a different country.

I think the main thing here is that most foreigners who go abroad, go to the other country and isolate themselves with people who only speak their own language and don't actually put any effort into becoming a part of their new country. Those are the people who will never truly fit in, and honestly I think that sums up the majority of white expats that come to South America.

Just look at the United States. You see this all the time with immigrants, they refuse to talk to Americans and will only talk to their own people. Hang out with only their race and only speak their own language in public. White people aren't the only ones guilty of this.
Of course not. Well, as you very well know, there are nationalists in all countries who demand 100% assimilation. Just look at P&OC

Now this is very true. I have several Asian friends, but half of the time they hang out with other Asian immigrants, whether from their own country or not. One of them was concerned that her English is not improving as it should. Well, she spends a considerable amount of time speaking in her native language to others who speak the same. But, for me, I'm the unconventional one.

It's hard breaking the tribal mentality most humans have, seeking out members of their own group instead of joining a new one. I was one who never sought the comfort of my own ethnic group, only having Anglo and Asian friends, and still do. I'm Hispanic and I don't have a single Hispanic friend.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:41 PM

111 posts, read 339,583 times
You won't fit in because you're a foreigner. And I know several blond Chileans - over half of Chileans are white.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninoleo View Post
You won't fit in because you're a foreigner. And I know several blond Chileans - over half of Chileans are white.
A person can fit in no problem. I fit in completely here in Chile. I speak the language, have friends and a girlfriend. I'll always be the American, and I'll always have my own viewpoint and will never ACTUALLY be anything else... but I'm glad because I wouldn't want to be anything else.

Some people have unrealistic goals of moving to Latin America and having people call them a Latino for some reason or they want to actually be one of them. Those are usually the people who just get cheated or scammed.

To say a person will never fit in is far from the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas