Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 07:15 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times

Advertisements

also relevant:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 07:20 AM

626 posts, read 1,239,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Funny how this was brought up, I was having a conversation with Brazilian friends this weekend and they were talking about how diverse Brazil is. They kept using the word turkos to refer to Middle Eastern people who arrived to Brazil. These are young 30 something guys, so I think it is a common term even among young people.

Interesting.
I was assuming that with all of the information tools available nowadays, people could tell nationalities apart a little/way better.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:48 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
also relevant:
The Northeast as usual, always stands out from the rest of the country.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:41 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,492 times
I'm from California, so here people (in general) definitely assume that if you speak Spanish, have brown hair and eyes, look slightly Native American, you must be Mexican. Though Californian's are also, over all, more knowledgeable of the nuances within the Latino community since we do have people from everywhere. The main problem seems to be for black and mulatto Latinos/Hispanics from the East Coast as their look is rarely ever associated with Latinos in the West and Southwest. This is a major issue for Latinos from back east that are trying to break into Hollywood/acting. Even when they speak Spanish very well, they never get to portray Latinas. In Hollywood Latinas look like Sofia Vergara and Selma Hayek, not like Rosario Dawson or Zoe Saldana (though I'm glad she was casted for Colombiana.) A lot of Mexicans and Central Americans assume that if you are black and speak Spanish, you must be Cuban -this is due to Celia Cruz's impact.

For the most part, within the Hispanic/Latin community, we tend to distinguish people by their accent...maybe somewhat their look, but mostly their accent. So if you're a non-Spanish speaker, than I can definitely see how you would assume that someone that speaks Spanish is probably Mexican, if Mexicans are the Spanish speakers you most run into.

The whole 'chino' thing seems to be pretty unanimous throughout Latin America, even though for Mexico, Filipinos were their most common Asian contact, historically. My family that lives in L.A. usually assumes that if they look East Asian, they are Korean.

As for me, people usually assume that I am Middle Eastern/Arab, then South American, then 'white', then Mexican. This even from other Latinos. I don't care, I just think it's funny. To be fair, my Spanish sounds funny (no, not like a gringo's either) as growing up my Latino friends where from a variety of countries and took a little from each one of their accents, plus I also have a bit of a lisp. When I was in Mexico city, they usually assumed I was Spanish - even one woman who was from the same town as me (I was born in Culiacan, Sinaloa, Mexico.)

Personally, unless someone has a thick accent in English, I usually just assume they are American. If someone really wants me to know their heritage/ancestry/background/wtv, they will eventually tell you. Otherwise, I really don't care. The only time I ever pry is when a white/Caucasian American starts digging around my ancestry, and then why ask them theirs they say "I'm just white" or "I'm just American". I end up usually rolling my eyes, and then ask them if they are more Scottish, English, Irish, French, Dutch etc. I find that the Irish and Italians are the ones that have most successfully held on to their culture (maybe cause it wasn't until the 20th century that they were accepted into the mainstream), whereas white Americans of German and Anglo backgrounds have let go of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas