U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 06:50 AM

40 posts, read 72,996 times

Advertisements

Is Sao Paulo, Brazil a Good Place to Live for African Americans? For those of you who have visited, what are the food, the culture, and the women like? Also too, how prevalent is English speaking down there? Would it behoove me to learn at least some Portuguese before I go? Thanks.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:57 PM

85 posts, read 97,304 times
Why wouldn't it be? São Paulo is the most suitable place to be a foreigner in Brazil. I think you're asking if it is OK to be black here, right? Well, it is almost indifferent if you are a black or white foreigner here, the complicated thing is to be a black brazilian... And since foreign people don't ever go to the poor periphery of big cities, is very likely foreigners won't feel any kind of prejudice around here. Certainly not with the local people (any problem with the police will be immediately solved by speaking with an accent...). It's sad, but it's true. I think you can live here without speaking any portuguese, but of course is much more comfortable to speak the language. The food is great and the culture won't shock you (São Paulo seems like a New York city without maintenance).

Old 05-29-2014, 07:25 PM

40 posts, read 72,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Rago View Post
Why wouldn't it be? São Paulo is the most suitable place to be a foreigner in Brazil. I think you're asking if it is OK to be black here, right? Well, it is almost indifferent if you are a black or white foreigner here, the complicated thing is to be a black brazilian... And since foreign people don't ever go to the poor periphery of big cities, is very likely foreigners won't feel any kind of prejudice around here. Certainly not with the local people (any problem with the police will be immediately solved by speaking with an accent...). It's sad, but it's true. I think you can live here without speaking any portuguese, but of course is much more comfortable to speak the language. The food is great and the culture won't shock you (São Paulo seems like a New York city without maintenance).
Thanks for replying. I was asking will African Americans experience much racism in Sao Paulo. You suggested that native Brown people experience problems with the police? Does this problem manifest itself by way of profiling or stopping and frisking? Also too, are the people like the people in New York? Are the women generally friendly or do they have that westernized attitude?

Old 05-30-2014, 11:54 AM

2,564 posts, read 4,650,797 times
Well, some people claim that Sao Paulo is not a good place even for brown skinned Brazilians to live...

But I have no comments on that...

Anyway you can be sure that African Americans would be very welcome in other places of Brazil, like Rio de Janeiro, Salvador, Recife, Natal or Fortaleza.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:12 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,925,572 times
Quote:

Didn't go to SP, but Rio is like that. A FOREIGN black will have few problems (normal targeting by people looking for rich tourists kind of thing which one will expect in a 3rd world country). They aren't necessarily as nice to the local "blacks" in more affluent parts of the city. They assume that local blacks are poor. By "black" I mean people who have very visible African Ancestry as in Wesley Snipes through to Will Smith.

Brazilians are much friendlier than Americans, even those from down South.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Well, some people claim that Sao Paulo is not a good place even for brown skinned Brazilians to live...

But I have no comments on that...

Anyway you can be sure that African Americans would be very welcome in other places of Brazil, like Rio de Janeiro, Salvador, Recife, Natal or Fortaleza.

Definitely in Salvador. I found them very interested in blacks of the Diaspora in that city. Brazilians are friendly though Rio folks don't say nice thinks about those from SP. I guess a little sibling rivalry.

Its definitely a special country with a tremendously rich and varied range of regional cultures. What I enjoyed about Rio was that every night I had food from a different part of Brazil. Salvador is literally a walking museum. Fascinating.

Pity the country has gotten more expensive than it used to be.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FivePercenter View Post
Thanks for replying. I was asking will African Americans experience much racism in Sao Paulo. You suggested that native Brown people experience problems with the police? Does this problem manifest itself by way of profiling or stopping and frisking? Also too, are the people like the people in New York? Are the women generally friendly or do they have that westernized attitude?

Are you going to SP for a job, because Rio is really much nicer? SP is so busy even a New Yorker will get stressed out.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:15 PM

85 posts, read 97,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FivePercenter View Post
Yes, native brown or black people have those trouble you mentioned with the police. But not in the central areas of the cities, at least in São Paulo. The PM ("Polícia Militar", our police in the streets) is very gentle with every one near many neighbourhoods of the city, by the subway stations etc. At the poor parts of the city, things change. Passed a certain hour of the night, young black men shouldn't leave their houses. That's one of our problems. But I don't think any african american would experience racism living here, because it is a cultural aspect of brazilians not suspecting from foreigners (I often think this is an irresponsible and dangerous thing to do...).

I can't explain, maybe to us somebody who came from abroad always have enough money, so they don't need to rob anybody, or do schemes. The racial problem here is based on bad income distribution and the violence that comes from it, and most of poor people are black. If you're american, to us you are rich. I don't think you'll have any difficult to find a job (even though black brazilians experience a lot of prejucide searching for a job), after all, who would pass away an american? I don't think you get the extension of how somebody who had an "american education" is appraised here. Even if they didn't go to college.

Someone said that african americans would be welcome in the Northern states... Well, I disagree. Those are the most complicated regions of our country in respect to social matters. Political and social organization there are still the same from the beggining of the 20th century. As a turist, to party, yes, the entire world is welcome. To live, that's a differeng thing. São Paulo is the most open minded city in Brazil. We have racists? Yes, but that's because we have 11 milion people living here, we have every kind of people. But there is no place in Brazil where is so normal interracial couples, and not only black and white, but mixing japonese, arabs, europeans. You can flert, date, marry anyone you want and chances are you'll become part of her family no matter the collor of your skin. Kids from interracial relationships are normal here, too, they won't suffer in school or anything. You find racist among the elderly, but think they are few, compared to any other place in Brazil.

I believe we are more open than people in New York. Maybe women in Rio are more friendly than us, but I don't think we are unfriendly at all. We have our charme. A pale, skinny and unskillful charme.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Passed a certain hour of the night, young black men shouldn't leave their houses. .

Bit of a problem though. Given that black Americans aren't very common outside of tourist cities like Rio and Salvador the assumption that people will have will be that the person is Brazilian. Yes, when confronted, as soon as they respond in English they will no longer be an issue, for the reasons that you mentioned, but it does get embarrassing, especially if some one is in a mixed group, and gets singled out.

Some have advised visitors not to "advertise" that they are tourists. Unfortunately in Brazil and certain other parts of Latin America, this is what a black tourist must do, and then they end up having to pay the "tourist prices", etc.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:17 PM

535 posts, read 713,389 times
Yeah pretty much the American card trumps all. The moment you start speaking like a "gringo" they'll let you alone. Because as someone stated American= $$$ and due to the nature of Brazil being heavily influenced by class you are automatically perceived as higher class if you are foreign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas