Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 05:07 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,332 times

Advertisements

Here is an interesting article about opposition to the term "American" being used for Americans. It is a good illustration of how ridiculous it is that some insist that the imperialist Americans stole the name from unassuming Latin American countries. Or how silly it is when someone purposefully confuses the word "American" to mean everyone in the western hemisphere during a discussion that is clearly about the United States. Suddenly a noneventful conversation turns into a political stand against the name-stealing Yanquis. You've got to wonder where these people were before America became a superpower!

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...e_country.html

[Mod cut: please please post a link and a snippet]

Last edited by elnina; 06-15-2014 at 01:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 07:11 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
That's just lame of her.

People like her suck, I stay away from them. Majority of Latin Americans don't suck and don't act like that.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:53 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
I confess to having had some fun with this while travelling overseas. Meeting and talking with Americans will get you some odd looks after them telling you they're from America or they're American and you respond: that's nice, which America, North or South, there's two of them you know and both of them are very big continents with numerous countries.

It's all in fum really because it certainly isn't anyones fault today your forefathers chose to name your country The United States of America when it should have been just simply The United States or The United States of North America to be geographically correct.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:06 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,306 times
She can claim to be from America, she cannot claim to be an American. We are the United States of America, it is the "America" in the full name of the US that is the reason it's citizens are rightfully called Americans.

She is from Columbia (a country, not a state, by the way, she didn't really answer your question), and is Columbian, not American.

Now that I know this is out there, If I ask what state, and they reply with a country name, rather than fall into the trap, I will say "Oh, your xxxxx-ian, not an American at all!" and watch the slow simmering melt down of the idiot.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:57 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,420,713 times
In many other nations they don't make the distinction between north and south america so all of the americas is considered to be "The continent of America". Here, we teach that we are exceptional and the other nations in america are just there

I wouldn't mind if they changed the denonym for US Americans but its too late now.

The person who wrote this also sounds very annoying IMO

Old 06-11-2014, 09:19 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Technically the Latin Americans are right, OP. Get used to it. Adjust. Learn respect for other people's perspective.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:29 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
As far as I know the Western continent consists of North America, Central America, and South America. I don't believe the framers of the constitution, or the Native Americans that followed the track of the Bison across the Beringa Bridge to settle in Alaska, Canada and the Great Lakes ever heard the term "Latin American" much let alone STOLE it from someone living in poverty south of our border - that had not yet been established. . .

The Latin language of Europe died 2000 years ago. The only latin I hear today is in a Latin Mass in the Catholic Church, and it is rather rare find. Respect is a two-way street. If you want me to respect your view, then respect the fact I AM an American - whether you like or not. If you don't like Americans do not try to engage me in conversation; I am not interested in one more pretender. We have an ample supply.

Dictionary.com defines Latin America "Those areas of America whose official languages are Spanish and Portuguese. It should make the Brazilians very happy to know they are Latin Americans and no longer citizens of South America. What a crock!

I was born inside the continent of North America in the United State of America. I am a natural born American, and when I die I will die a natural born American. Nothing in history will change that the fact that the citizens of the Unites States of America are called Americans. It is not going to change the fact citizens of Canada are Canadian, or the citizens of Mexico are Mexican.

It is time to stop calling these people Latino. They are not Latin speaking, and there is no country recognized Latin America. They are Hispanic except for Portuguese - a very old language spoken in 8 countries: Angola, Brazil, Cape Verde, East Timor, Guinea-Bissau, Mozambique, Portugal, and São Tomé and Príncipe. It may have roots in Latin but it also has roots in the Germanic languages. Few speakers of pure Spanish can understand or speak the Portuguese language, any better than Spanish speaking Mexicans.

OP, from my point of view I would not engage in conversations with hostile rabid people as nothing good comes of it. I will leave them to their own unhappiness while I either find like minded others or find a good book or two. And I would be greatly annoyed by some dumbaxx chiding me about my place of brith. Columbia is one of the prime suppliers of illegal street drugs in America. It is not a friend to America or Americans. .

Last edited by linicx; 06-11-2014 at 10:00 PM..

Old 06-12-2014, 05:39 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Technically the Latin Americans are right, OP.
i'm not so sure about this.

Besides The United States of America, what countries use the word "America" in their country name?

the only one i can think of dissolved in 1841:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal...entral_America

Last edited by le roi; 06-12-2014 at 05:48 AM..

Old 06-12-2014, 08:18 AM

813 posts, read 1,133,423 times
Here in SA I always reply I am "estadounidense", which is probably the most accepted reply!

Old 06-12-2014, 08:24 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,128 times
The terms America and Americans follows the same pattern used for Mexico/Mexicans and Brazil/Brazilians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas