U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 03:28 PM

610 posts, read 2,755,467 times

Advertisements

Why do Americans seem so unfriendly and only concerned about looks, money, and status. (I'm American BTW).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 05:41 PM

4,370 posts, read 5,141,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Why do Americans seem so unfriendly and only concerned about looks, money, and status. (I'm American BTW).

Americans are much more friendlier than many of the foreigners here

Old 06-12-2014, 05:44 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,927,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Americans are much more friendlier than many of the foreigners here

Americans are extroverted, but compared to most other folks in the Americas, not warm.

You can't judge foreigners living in the USA as what you are seeing is their attempt to adjust to life in the USA. Many people take a step down, especially in their early years, so might be under stress.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:45 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,882,039 times
Really? You're going to generalize a country of 313+ million people, with 50 states all with their own respective cultures and ways of doing things?

The Americans I know (and choose to spend time with) are some of the friendliest people on this planet and looks/money/status is not their main life priority. With money being an exception in terms of people needing it, you know...to survive and all.

I think it would be easier if you focus your statement to a state ---> city ---> city neighborhood ---> class/type of people in that neighborhood.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:

I don't know that Americans are more concerned about status and looks than others. Money yes as Americans will kill themselves to make money that they don't need. Others might prefer to spend that time engaged in vacations. Americans get fewer vacation days than most others, and the frightful part is that large numbers don't even use those days.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:53 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,882,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I don't know that Americans are more concerned about status and looks than others. Money yes as Americans will kill themselves to make money that they don't need. Others might prefer to spend that time engaged in vacations. Americans get fewer vacation days than most others, and the frightful part is that large numbers don't even use those days.
I agree. Overall, we are over worked compared to all other Western countries.

Recently I've been noticing a bit of a puritan work ethic come back in mas media, as I keep hearing songs that tell me to 'werk werk werk.' As if all it takes is just a lot of work to get that Maserati or mcmansion, but no mention of opportunities.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Really? You're going to generalize a country of 313+ million people, with 50 states all with their own respective cultures and ways of doing things?

The Americans I know (and choose to spend time with) are some of the friendliest people on this planet and looks/money/status is not their main life priority. With money being an exception in terms of people needing it, you know...to survive and all.

I think it would be easier if you focus your statement to a state ---> city ---> city neighborhood ---> class/type of people in that neighborhood.

Been all over the USA. They don't compare with say Brazil, a country also of continental dimensions. Rio is a huge city as is NYC and LA, but much friendlier.

To say that Americans don't love money is a joke! Why do Americans over work themselves? You don't hear other people focused on making money just for the sake of having it (not for what it can do for them) and yet still intent on making more. When I came to B school in the USA this was fascinating to ALL of us foreign students. I am talking about Europeans (ALL of them), South Americans, Africans, Caribbean students, and both East and South Asians.

Now I do agree that Americans are no more status or looks oriented than others, in fact maybe even less so, as it is easier for one to transcend class if one can figure out how to make the money to do so. They don't care who your family is. The care about what you do, what you own, and how much power you have. Very individualistic. LA, NY and DC are all different cities, but yet this applies. Just in different ways.

Like I said Americans (as a group) are extroverted, but that doesn't mean that they are that friendly.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:36 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,224,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Americans are extroverted, but compared to most other folks in the Americas, not warm.

You can't judge foreigners living in the USA as what you are seeing is their attempt to adjust to life in the USA. Many people take a step down, especially in their early years, so might be under stress.
I can't say I agree with you there.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:43 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,136,173 times
Quote:
Why be so critical of your own countrymen/women by making such a broad, all encompassing blanket statement which can't possibly be proven?

Old 06-12-2014, 06:44 PM

78,561 posts, read 70,482,002 times
Quote:
You've been hanging around the wrong Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas