Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 02:01 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,719 times

Advertisements

If one were to plan a year trip to South America, staying 3 months in a certain city and using that city as a based to explore surrounding areas (while simultaneously getting more depth and flavor of that specific city than otherwise would occur if just passing through), what four cities would be your base so that you could get the most range in experience of South America?

For me, the human/cultural diversity of South America is the most valuable, so I would want to get a little bit of all:

1st quarter: Bogota, Colombia - from here I can explore other Colombian cities, as well as Ecuador and possibly Venezuela (though I'm not sure about that due to safety concerns). Colombia would give me a feel for an Afro-Amerindian-Euro mixed society and access to the Caribbean coast and its cultures. I would consider Medellin, but its best asset seems to be the weather, and coming from sunny Mediterranean-esque Southern California, I find eternal spring over rated (as it is I am considering a move to the PNW.)

2nd quarter: Lima, Peru - this city would be my base for my indigenous South American experience, giving me access to Bolivia and NW Brasil. Supposedly Lima has some of the best food scenes anywhere, and it being the capital for the country that is home the Inca Civilization, it would appear ideal for exploring South America's indigenous side. My second choice city would be La Paz, Bolivia.

3rd quarter: Santiago, Chile or Buenos Aires, Argentina - I'm kind of stuck between these two. This city would serve as my base to explore the European side of South America. I think that Santiago would offer a much more rugged experience, with access to the Andes. Buenos Aires might be more classically European in an antiquated sort of way, while Santiago more modern. Buenos Aires would give me access to the beaches of Uruguay (Montevideo, Punto del Este), but Santiago has Valparaiso. From one of these cities I would want to be able to explore Tierra de Fuego (at least for a couple days).

4th quarter: Rio De Janeiro, Brazil - I think Rio would be perfect for its cultural diversity and cosmopolitan nature. My main concern here would be COL, as it is very expensive for what you get. From Rio, I assume to be able to take small trips to other major Southeastern Brazilian cities like Sao Paulo. My 2nd choice is Salvador, which is less diverse but it is essentially the motherland of the African experience in South America. Maybe I would due a month and a 1/2 in Rio and then the rest in Salvador.

What do you guys think? Is my list pretty well balanced? I know I have a bias for the big capitals, but growing up in the Los Angeles metro, and loving my experience in giant metros like Tokyo, I know that it works for me. Plus I figured that if I am trying to use a city as base to explore the region, that the big cities will provide the best access to a wider variety of transportation. They're also probably the least safe.

What would your four base cities be? What would you change from my list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 08:07 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Sounds interesting!

I spent a year in South America. The places I spent the most time were #1 Sao Paulo Brazil, #2 Rio Brazil, #3 Quito Ecuador, and #4 Cuzco Peru.

That was unplanned, it was very organic. Originally I planned to spend time in Santiago Chile...but found the city lacked the excitement that I was craving, and I made the move over to Sao Paulo, and loved it. Of course Rio is fantastic too, so I ended up spending most of time right there in Brazil, 6 months of it, and that country itself is so varied, I never wanted to leave. But, at that time, I was only able to stay in Brazil for up to 6 months out a 12 month period. So I had to leave.

I just wanted to travel, but CUZCO had so much to offer, I easily spent 3 weeks there, and could have spent way longer. By the time I got to Quito, I was ready to just rest, so ended up renting a cheap apartment with some other traveler types, and stayed there awhile, etc.

I think your list is a good list, but I think you'll just FEEL where you want to spend time as you arrive in places. But, I think you have a good list.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:54 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Sounds interesting!

I spent a year in South America. The places I spent the most time were #1 Sao Paulo Brazil, #2 Rio Brazil, #3 Quito Ecuador, and #4 Cuzco Peru.

That was unplanned, it was very organic. Originally I planned to spend time in Santiago Chile...but found the city lacked the excitement that I was craving, and I made the move over to Sao Paulo, and loved it. Of course Rio is fantastic too, so I ended up spending most of time right there in Brazil, 6 months of it, and that country itself is so varied, I never wanted to leave. But, at that time, I was only able to stay in Brazil for up to 6 months out a 12 month period. So I had to leave.

I just wanted to travel, but CUZCO had so much to offer, I easily spent 3 weeks there, and could have spent way longer. By the time I got to Quito, I was ready to just rest, so ended up renting a cheap apartment with some other traveler types, and stayed there awhile, etc.

I think your list is a good list, but I think you'll just FEEL where you want to spend time as you arrive in places. But, I think you have a good list.
I totally know what you mean by 'organic' and 'feeling' it haha. I had a friend who went to study Spanish in Buenos Aires, after a month she was done with that city. She was about to call it quits in South America and head back home, but she decided to do a small trip to Bolivia...on the plane there she met this lady that that ended becoming like a mom to her, and she ended up falling head over heels with Bolivia and its people, then managed to rearrange her schooling to the university in La Paz for that semester.

As for me, I did a road trip to Miami/Miami Beach one year (from L.A.)...got there thought it was highly over rated, but I really liked my time in Key West and Fort Lauderdale - so spent more time in both those respective cities than Miami.

One never knows what places will truly blow them away, or where they will feel most at home at.

BTW, if I could, I would totally do a year in Brazil alone...I'm sure its cities are more than enough to keep me entertain for that amount of time or longer.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
As for me, I did a road trip to Miami/Miami Beach one year (from L.A.)...got there thought it was highly over rated, but I really liked my time in Key West and Fort Lauderdale - so spent more time in both those respective cities than Miami.
Just a small note, that happened to me as well when I went to Miami. I found that I really liked Broward County a lot! It completely took me by surprise, as I'm more of a city person, and generally have no interest whatsoever in any suburb. But Broward County was just comfortable, casual, and had everything I wanted. Of course I liked South Beach as well, but 'Miami Miami' just didn't do it for me, not even the 'good spots' that everyone was supposed to love.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:33 AM

347 posts, read 695,660 times
Quote:
If one were to plan a year trip to South America, staying 3 months in a certain city and using that city as a based to explore surrounding areas (while simultaneously getting more depth and flavor of that specific city than otherwise would occur if just passing through), what four cities would be your base so that you could get the most range in experience of South America?

For me, the human/cultural diversity of South America is the most valuable, so I would want to get a little bit of all:

1st quarter: Bogota, Colombia - from here I can explore other Colombian cities, as well as Ecuador and possibly Venezuela (though I'm not sure about that due to safety concerns). Colombia would give me a feel for an Afro-Amerindian-Euro mixed society and access to the Caribbean coast and its cultures. I would consider Medellin, but its best asset seems to be the weather, and coming from sunny Mediterranean-esque Southern California, I find eternal spring over rated (as it is I am considering a move to the PNW.)

2nd quarter: Lima, Peru - this city would be my base for my indigenous South American experience, giving me access to Bolivia and NW Brasil. Supposedly Lima has some of the best food scenes anywhere, and it being the capital for the country that is home the Inca Civilization, it would appear ideal for exploring South America's indigenous side. My second choice city would be La Paz, Bolivia.

3rd quarter: Santiago, Chile or Buenos Aires, Argentina - I'm kind of stuck between these two. This city would serve as my base to explore the European side of South America. I think that Santiago would offer a much more rugged experience, with access to the Andes. Buenos Aires might be more classically European in an antiquated sort of way, while Santiago more modern. Buenos Aires would give me access to the beaches of Uruguay (Montevideo, Punto del Este), but Santiago has Valparaiso. From one of these cities I would want to be able to explore Tierra de Fuego (at least for a couple days).

4th quarter: Rio De Janeiro, Brazil - I think Rio would be perfect for its cultural diversity and cosmopolitan nature. My main concern here would be COL, as it is very expensive for what you get. From Rio, I assume to be able to take small trips to other major Southeastern Brazilian cities like Sao Paulo. My 2nd choice is Salvador, which is less diverse but it is essentially the motherland of the African experience in South America. Maybe I would due a month and a 1/2 in Rio and then the rest in Salvador.

What do you guys think? Is my list pretty well balanced? I know I have a bias for the big capitals, but growing up in the Los Angeles metro, and loving my experience in giant metros like Tokyo, I know that it works for me. Plus I figured that if I am trying to use a city as base to explore the region, that the big cities will provide the best access to a wider variety of transportation. They're also probably the least safe.

What would your four base cities be? What would you change from my list?
Sounds pretty good. But you would want to spend a lot of time in Cusco Peru if you want to experience indigenous Peruvian culture. Lots to see and do there and great indigenous Andean food also.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
Sounds pretty good. But you would want to spend a lot of time in Cusco Peru if you want to experience indigenous Peruvian culture. Lots to see and do there and great indigenous Andean food also.
That's what happened to me in Cuzco. My plan was to just do the Inca Trail and see Macchu Picchu...which I did...but Cuzco had so much to offer...it was easy to stay, and not so easy to leave.

On the other hand, Lima was a lot of fun too...BUT...a lot of 'Lima girls' take holidays in Cuzco to party with the travelers and foreigners...so if meeting the locals is part of the agenda, Cuzco has that too.

Actually I met a Japanese-Peruvian girl in Cuzco, and later met up with her again in Lima. It was kind of cool. I found Lima to be one of the most fun cities in the Spanish-speaking countries (but Brazil tops everywhere by leaps and bounds). So Lima is fun too...but I don't think Lima kept me more than 4-5 days tops, whereas Cuzco really was hard to want to leave.

Both are good choices, but I guess I ended up choosing to spend more time in Cuzco when I was there 'on the ground'.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:13 AM

546 posts, read 817,713 times
Good list but for me I'd go with the following in no particular order:

1. Rio
2. Medellin
3. Buenos Aires
4. Lima or Santiago

Old 07-23-2014, 12:30 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
I would consider Medellin, but its best asset seems to be the weather, and coming from sunny Mediterranean-esque Southern California, I find eternal spring over rated (as it is I am considering a move to the PNW.)

Medellin weather is not like California(it's hotter) but that is not the thing to see there. If you are going to be during Christmas, I highly recommend checking the Christmas lights along the river:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lfwEjjDkOvI

Old 07-23-2014, 12:31 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,788,987 times
Well, I just recommend that you dedicate some days or weeks to the Northeast of Brazil, even if you don't stay in any of its cities as a "base".

The Northeast of Brazil is culturally very rich, it has a warm and welcoming people, and it has many natural beauties too.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Well, I just recommend that you dedicate some days or weeks to the Northeast of Brazil, even if you don't stay in any of its cities as a "base".

The Northeast of Brazil is culturally very rich, it has a warm and welcoming people, and it has many natural beauties too.
That's a good point! Actually if I had time and money and a situation that allowed it, I'd love to spend some seriously significant time there.

Bahia up to Ceará, and up into the Amazon....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas