Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 03:10 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Are Indo-Caribbeans (East Indians) as conservative as their Indian counterparts?

Conservative meaning, very rigid about who their daughters may or may not marry. Against homosexuality. Against dating that isn't with the intention of marriage, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 09:57 AM

347 posts, read 695,859 times
I live in Trinidad which is about 40% Indo Caribbean.

The Caribbean is generally a more conservative place than the US and Europe overall. That being said I've found the most conservative Indo Trinis to be Hindu followed by Muslim followed by Christian. Brahmin Hindus tend to get caught up with the caste system (even though it is meaningless outside of India) and you will find Brahmin Hindus wanting to marry other Brahmins. Outside of that, marriage is a lot more relaxed with other Indo Trinis. All Indo trinis (especially Hindus)are enamored with white and light skin so wrt marriage this would help a lot. I have been fully immersed amongst Indo Trinis my whole life and this last point is no idle statement. To give an example I know a family whose wife had an extra marital affair with a much lighter skin guy. The child came out very pale. The woman's husband was happy to accept the child into their home even though he knew it was not his because he was so pleased to have a light skinned child.
All religions frown on homosexuality but as a social issue here there is not much acceptance but nor is their aggression. The older Indo Trini generation would be against dating without the intent of marriage...but most younger people wouldn't feel like that.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:27 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Are Indo-Caribbeans (East Indians) as conservative as their Indian counterparts?

Conservative meaning, very rigid about who their daughters may or may not marry. Against homosexuality. Against dating that isn't with the intention of marriage, etc.

Depends on the family and the country. In rural Guyana there are still conservative parents. Elsewhere (including urban Guyana) less so.

Caribbean people are homophobic. Maybe less so in the Spanish speaking islands, and those which are under French control.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:30 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
I live in Trinidad which is about 40% Indo Caribbean.

The Caribbean is generally a more conservative place than the US and Europe overall. That being said I've found the most conservative Indo Trinis to be Hindu followed by Muslim followed by Christian. Brahmin Hindus tend to get caught up with the caste system (even though it is meaningless outside of India) and you will find Brahmin Hindus wanting to marry other Brahmins. Outside of that, marriage is a lot more relaxed with other Indo Trinis. All Indo trinis (especially Hindus)are enamored with white and light skin so wrt marriage this would help a lot. I have been fully immersed amongst Indo Trinis my whole life and this last point is no idle statement. To give an example I know a family whose wife had an extra marital affair with a much lighter skin guy. The child came out very pale. The woman's husband was happy to accept the child into their home even though he knew it was not his because he was so pleased to have a light skinned child.
All religions frown on homosexuality but as a social issue here there is not much acceptance but nor is their aggression. The older Indo Trini generation would be against dating without the intent of marriage...but most younger people wouldn't feel like that.

What you said applies even more to rural Hindu Guyana.

That being said there is a modern generation of Indo Carib females who are definitely more liberal, regardless as to what their parents might think. Being educated and independent, they don't have to be as concerned about the opinions of the older relatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas