Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 04:02 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

Would anyone say that CARTAGENA (Colombia) has a NEW ORLEANS vibe?

I mean, there are some very obvious differences - one is Spanish-speaking, the other is in the United States. But both are well-known for their parties and architecture. Both have Mardi Gras or Carnival. Both have a larger African descent population than much of their other country's respective cities. Both are Catholic.

Both attract tourism from all over. Both are well-known for Music.

So, going with this...what would you disagree with on this statement? What else would you add?

One rule, you just can't state the very obvious: Different countries/languages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 12:50 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,904,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

I mean, there are some very obvious differences - one is Spanish-speaking, the other is in the United States. But both are well-known for their parties and architecture. Both have Mardi Gras or Carnival. Both have a larger African descent population than much of their other country's respective cities. Both are Catholic.

So, going with this...what would you disagree with on this statement? What else would you add?

New Orleans still has populations that speak Spanish, French, & Creole languages & dialects which goes back to the earliest of colonial times. The architecture of much of New Orleans is Spanish.

Keep in mind that ALL of Louisiana state, especially South Louisiana has Spanish/French based Catholic culture. This also is true for many parts of Texas, Mississippi, Florida, & Alabama, especially Mobile Alabama. Mobile, Alabama has the Mardi Gras tradition as well to this day.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:

New Orleans resembles & bears many similarities to many cities around the world. Havana, Santiago De Cuba, Santo Domingo, Panama City, Panama, Cartagena de las Indias, Fort-de-France, Martinique all resemble New Orleans in many aspects.

New Orleans in many a aspects is in fact a Latin American city, culturally & historically.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:38 PM

Latin America, a cultural rather than political space, broadly encompasses all countries and regions in the Americas whose speech derives from Latin or a Latin-based language. Of course these Latin Americans have much more than language in common; there’s the legal code, religions, cuisine, music, dance, folklore, mannerisms, and overall mindset. In short, Francophones in Canada, Creolophones in Louisiana, Papiamento-speaking Arubans, Mexicans, Brazilians are cultural and often recent ancestral relatives. In theory, a Brazilian from Governador Valadares should feel at home in Lafayette, Louisiana, and a Haitian should feel at home in Venezuela.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:36 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
New Orleans resembles & bears many similarities to many cities around the world. Havana, Santiago De Cuba, Santo Domingo, Panama City, Panama, Cartagena de las Indias, Fort-de-France, Martinique all resemble New Orleans in many aspects.
That's an unusual list.

I've been to Santo Domingo, and it seemed more spread out. There was one area I really liked, where if I recall correctly, traffic was closed down the middle of the street. Basically, it had a lot of people shopping and eating in the street, and people were everywhere walking around, but it seemed more the unusual exception than the norm to the city. It was also very confined to one street. In short, I didn't see any resemblance to New Orleans, while in Santo Domingo.

Panama City? Isn't that mostly just skyscrapers? I haven't been to that one, but I have explored the city quite a bit through photos, and didn't see anything New Orleans-like or Cartagena-like or Havana-like.

Havana has long been on my list as Cartagena has been though.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:23 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,038 times
Quote:

the Carnival is in Barranquilla, an industrial coastal city about an hour away from Cartagena.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barranquilla's_Carnival

Old 08-15-2014, 07:36 AM

157 posts, read 296,781 times
Quote:
That's an unusual list.

I've been to Santo Domingo, and it seemed more spread out. There was one area I really liked, where if I recall correctly, traffic was closed down the middle of the street. Basically, it had a lot of people shopping and eating in the street, and people were everywhere walking around, but it seemed more the unusual exception than the norm to the city. It was also very confined to one street. In short, I didn't see any resemblance to New Orleans, while in Santo Domingo.

Panama City? Isn't that mostly just skyscrapers? I haven't been to that one, but I have explored the city quite a bit through photos, and didn't see anything New Orleans-like or Cartagena-like or Havana-like.

Havana has long been on my list as Cartagena has been though.
Panama very much has similarities like New Orleans, Cartagena in the Casco Viejo area
photos..
Casco Viejo, Panama City, Panama.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:43 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
^What a beautiful mami

Old 08-15-2014, 10:45 AM

157 posts, read 296,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
^What a beautiful mami
haha
Panama is very beautiful.. the capital Panama city has the Modern capital with skyscrapers in the downtown, very nice suburbs in the northern and eastern part of the city.. and it was a very nice historical district called the Casco Viejo .. It was designated a World Heritage Site in 1997... Those photos I posted are just a few of the area.. lots of nice places to see there..

I want to visit Cartagena.. heard good things about it from my Colombian friends especially about the food. mmm

Old 08-22-2014, 09:28 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,246,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
Latin America, a cultural rather than political space, broadly encompasses all countries and regions in the Americas whose speech derives from Latin or a Latin-based language. Of course these Latin Americans have much more than language in common; there’s the legal code, religions, cuisine, music, dance, folklore, mannerisms, and overall mindset. In short, Francophones in Canada, Creolophones in Louisiana, Papiamento-speaking Arubans, Mexicans, Brazilians are cultural and often recent ancestral relatives. In theory, a Brazilian from Governador Valadares should feel at home in Lafayette, Louisiana, and a Haitian should feel at home in Venezuela.
Are you kidding me? the latin american countries are very diverse, at least the ones that I've been to and othern than language and some minor aspects of food, actually have very little in common in my opinion. Uruguay and Argentina are fairly similar, however Chile and Bolivia have nothing in common at all, with Argentina, well maybe north western Argentina, but I don't really agree with that statement at all. Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador? Even Peru, they are very different from the southern Cone countries, for example.

Argentines, they hate rice and beans and don't like spicy food at all. Even though, I understand that many americans in their ignorance think everyone in latin america eats Tacos, Burritos, Beans and Rice, it really couldn't be further from the truth. Actually, the food in this province ( Buenos Aires ) many of it is very similar to american food ( minus the empanadas, Locro and a few other things ) they eat meat, veggies and potatoes just like we do. Heck, they're even more obsessed with mayonaisse here in Argentina than amerricans are LOL.

When you travel between the latin countries, they are very different, expecially here in south american and in my opinion in many ways have alot less in common, than one might realize. Mindset? Give me a break, whoever penned this quote is generalizing. Mannerisms, mindsets, music local customs, they are very different, trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas