Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 05:11 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

Montevideo (Uruguay) often doubles as Havana in films. Is Montevideo therefore quite underrated as tourist destination?

And for those of you've been to Montevideo, do you think it actually does look like Havana? And if so, in what way?

I guess the other argument is that Havana isn't worthy of visiting, that it doesn't look good, so therefore Montevideo wouldn't be worth visiting either from a touristic perspective. But, from all I've seen of Havana in pictures or movies, it has a very romantic beautiful image connected to it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 09:58 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,078,342 times
Tiger

I've never seen Montevideo doubling as Havana. I have seen Barcelona doubling as Havana (Voyage of the damned) and Cadiz (James Bond, I don't quite recall the name of the film).

I have seen Santo Domigo doubling as Havana in Godfather II (an insult for Havana, even for a Havana falling to pieces).

Havana is very beautiful in a post-apocaliptical way. Unfortunately, one of the buzzwords of communists was to destroy one of the most beautiful cities in the wolrd, and they did it.

Not an easy city for Americans because Centro Habana and Habana Vieja are mostly black, almost a black ghetto, and some Americans think they must be like American "hoods" (they are not).

Still is far more beautiful that any city in thousands of kilometers around, just like Rome must have been beautiful 50 years after the Ostrogoths.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:47 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,246,659 times
I'm a gringo living in Argentina and I've been to Uruguay a total of 3 different times with my Argentin wife. Uruguay is a sleepy, rural version of the Argentine Pampas ( although it's not as flat ) and the accent and dialect of spanish like Argentina called "Voseo" or "Rioplatense" is virtually the same. They replace the "tu" informal with "vos" and the "Tu Puedas" or "Tu entiendas" becomes "Vos podes" and "Vos entendes" in Uruguayan/Argentina-Buenos Aires spanish. Even the local folk music "El Chamame" which is popular right across the border in Entre Rios and Corrientes is very similar to Argentina. If you go to Montivideo or Uruguay in general, ask for "Chivito" it's an Uruguayan version of the "Sandwich de Millanesa" a thin breaded steak on Frenchbread with lettuce tomatoes, muzzarella cheese and Salsa Criolla....very tasty

Montivideo in my opinion has maybe a few things, however, mostly very little in common with what I've seen of Havana. Now to be fair, I've never visited Havana, but from the photos I guess it does share some similarities as far as the old colonial spanish architecture. However, it's not a tropical climate at all, barely even subtropical, as it can actually get quite chilly on winter nights in Montivideo, sometimes dipping below freezing. Montivideo does have some african-americans, albeit much more than Argentina, which has virtually none, and this because of it's closer proximity to Brazil just to the north. So, I guess in that apsect it's similar, although Uruguayans are by and large a majority of descendants from Spain, Italy, Portugal and some of the Balkan states in Europe. Uruguay is also known as one of the most "atheist" countries in the world and tends to be very VERY liberal, even more so than other latin countries

Montivideo is a very run-down and very old and historical city, however they don't seem to have invested much in keeping the older infrastructure in good condition. The homes are falling aprt, sidewalks and streets are in great disrepair. I mean they say Uruguay is a more prosperous nation then Argentina but I'd say not by the looks of it, it seems like a much poorer country IMHO. Montivideo has a huge "villa" ( slum ) and I saw lot's of dirt poor folks, 3rd world without a doubt. The highway between "Frey Bentos" on the Arg/Urug border was in terrible condition until you got within 150 kilometers or so of Montivideo when it suddenly widened to 4 lanes and was actually in better paved condition than most US interstates. That's how it is in latin america, all the investment, infrastructure and population are centered around the capital cities, the further outwards you get from those cities, much much less so. Even so, Montivideo in my opinion was rather run down and dark. Although, the beach area on the "Rio de La Plata" was kind of nice with a few upscale areas and they do have a very nice mall. All in all it reminds of a much darker, more worn down and smaller, older, much older version of Buenos Aires without all of the charm.

Also they are having a serious problem with crime and insecurity like Argentina is right now. Murders, robberies, muggings, burglaries.....things are really going downhill in this part of SA, it's not the secure mecca it was once touted to be. When we were there, we wre told to be very careful walking in some of the areas of the city at night, especially the "barrio" ( neighborhood ) close to the bus station.

I mean, aside from the "Uruguayan Carnival" which Uruguays version of the Brazilian Carnival or "Mardio Gras" in the US, I don't see it having much of a big pull regarding tourism. However, it is a popular destination for tax evaders and ex-pats from the US and Europe because of it's gov't funded healthcare, excellent exchange rate with the US dollar or European Euro and also Urguayans and Argentines by large have a greater tendency of speaking better English as opposed to some of their neighbors.

Last edited by EricOldTime; 08-14-2014 at 04:19 PM..

Old 10-16-2015, 07:54 AM

836 posts, read 1,255,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Also they are having a serious problem with crime and insecurity like Argentina is right now. Murders, robberies, muggings, burglaries.....things are really going downhill in this part of SA, it's not the secure mecca it was once touted to be. When we were there, we wre told to be very careful walking in some of the areas of the city at night, especially the "barrio" ( neighborhood ) close to the bus station.
But Uruguay does have better police and other institutions - less corrupt and everything - than Argentina. Shouldn't that be a deterrent to a sharp increase in crime?!

Old 10-16-2015, 08:48 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,583 times
I just know the airport

Well, but it was a really nice airport, one of the best I've been too.
More recently they've renovated some in Brazil too.

I really don't believe Montevideo can be as bad as Havana. I'm sure it's a lot better.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:50 AM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Fidel Castro ruined Havana. Its a very lucky city, because had it been in an earthquake zone I'm sure today most of the city would had been rubble.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:36 AM

491 posts, read 753,400 times
Havana = Colonial Architecture
MV = Neo-Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Fidel Castro ruined Havana. Its a very lucky city, because had it been in an earthquake zone I'm sure today most of the city would had been rubble.
Yeah, Port au Prince comes to mind.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:12 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
My first visit to Montevideo was late 1971 as a teenager who had just graduated from high school in Chile. I was there with a couple of school friends to visit some of their relatives there. After a long train trip from Chile to Buenos Aires (which went out of service decades ago), we took the overnight steamship ferry from Buenos Aires to Montevideo. The trip across the southern part of the continent was a grand adventure itself. There were no hydrofoils or turbo powered fast ferry boats at that time. There was a lot of political turbulance in Montevideo and the atmosphere was pretty tense. Two months earlier a prison break by 100+ Tupamaros (former leftist armed militia group) occurred, and I remember being stopped a few times by law enforcement to show ID while walking around.

In the early 1970s, Montevideo looked and felt like it was the early 1900s, and that was not a negative observation. There were almost no "modern" looking box shaped buildings built from steel and glass. Most were traditional masonry office and apartment buildings or row houses, sort of what you might find in many places in central Europe. Everything was rather plain looking, not exactly bright and colorful. Lots of old cars driving around, many from the 1930s or 1940s.

I visited Montevideo again about 16 years ago. The physical appearance of the old town part of the city had not changed much from 1971. Sure, some newer cars on the streets and some different signs and businesses. Outside of the old town district, there were plenty of newer steel and glass apartment buildings, something that won't be confused with a street scene in Havana.

One place in Uruguay that still has a mostly intact physical look from 80+ years ago is the small city of Colonia, directly across Rio de la Plata from Buenos Aires.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:28 AM

212 posts, read 208,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
Havana = Colonial Architecture
MV = Neo-Classic

Yeah, Port au Prince comes to mind.

Havana is Baroque, Classicism, Nouvelle Age, Electic, Art Nouveu, etc,

Old 10-18-2015, 04:41 PM

491 posts, read 753,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampliment View Post
Havana is Baroque, Classicism, Nouvelle Age, Electic, Art Nouveu, etc,
By electic you mean eclectic? I find that hard to believe. Frankfurt is eclectic, Warsaw too... but Havana?
You might be right, I dunno... for me eclectic includes a significant amount of contemporary as well. Also, what is "Nouvelle Age" architecture?

There are some Baroque buildings here and there, like some cathedrals and whatnot, but they could also have passed as semi-gothic. I haven't been there for 5 years, but back then it was mostly, by far, colonial. It is very strange to me that you don't agree if you've been there. Though there are an important amount of neo-classical buildings as well.

Havana colonial:

Colonial Center (lol)

Plaza de Armas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas