Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 09:45 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG1981 View Post
I know this thread's about Brazil, but I lived in Santiago, Chile for 5 years and I can assure you that the price gouging against foreigners is standard procedure there. Luckily I speak the language so it wasn't a problem, but I knew other people who were getting screwed so bad it was painful to watch.
Yeah, usually either knowing the language, knowing the market, and most importantly working with a local FRIEND who you can trust, who can help do the initial research, and final price negotiation. I find it best if a local does everything for you, and once things are negotiated and figured out, than the American Gringo (myself), will then check it out and agree or not, at the end of the process .

One of the more interesting things about Brazil, is that the wealthy generally have a VERY CHEAP maid come in and do all of the household chores. Since Brazilians ASSUME that all Americans are wealthy, it was not uncommon for me to meet Brazilians who were absolutely stunned and surprised that I knew how to do my own laundry.

When I was in Sao Paulo, I lived in a Pousada, a guesthouse, living with Brazilians. Basically I lived in a house with about 6 bedrooms, and about 30 Brazilians. It seemed like my first couple weeks living there, I had very helpful Brazilians assuming I had no idea how to put soap in a washing machine.

In short, there is a stereotype, that takes awhile to break, that ALL AMERICANS are super rich, and have a lot of extra money to spend. But, if you really don't have a lot of money, and the locals see this time and time again, they'll eventually believe you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 02:09 PM

83 posts, read 114,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Salvador has amazing women. African and mixed with African, mostly.

Brasilia is horrible in almost every conceivable way. That city was built for the car. Extremely car dependent. If you want to hit a bar or club, you have to drive to it. It's a complete mess. However, some people really like that kind of city. For me, I prefer the walkable ones, where you don't need to drink and drive, to socialize. I've regularly heard the stories of politicians who always keep their residences elsewhere. Not even the politicians want to spend their time there.

Regarding yourself of being European descent. That doesn't matter. It depends on what you are attracted to. Salvador will have more African and African mixes. Fortaleza will have more indigenous and caucasian mixes with a little bit of African too. Belo Horizonte will be more like Sao Paulo - just a big mix of everyone. Florianapolis will have the German and Polish and such heavily mixed in.

It's hard to say which is better, as at that point, it comes down to preference. I doubt you'd feel uncomfortable anywhere you chose though. I mean, you won't because of race anyways.

Coolest climates...probably the more south. Wettest climates...I think Belem gets a ton of rain, which is the opposite side of the country. Someone else might be answer the 'coolest and wettest' better.
I see, thank for the in depth info. By the way, I said I'm not of Euro descent. So many decisions and I know this year will approach faster than I expect, so at the present it seems like the most logical options would be Salvador or Belo Horizonte. Thanks again to everyone who contributed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas