Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 11:22 PM

3 posts, read 5,853 times

Advertisements

So I was talking to my best friend and we were thinking what Americans think of Colombian women and I decided to google it and I found something really sad. A guy said that Colombians are really nice but the women use you whether they love you or not, and I started thinking I am a Colombian born and raised woman in her twenties and I have never dated an American because of what he can give me. I have lived here for six years now and me personally, I don't think like that, for me you have to work for what you want and not tale advantage of anyone else. Also he commented that his wife wanted always to be in Colombia and she would always complain about USA, as a foreign I love USA nothing has been free here I have worked for everything that I have,but the only reason I have ever complained is because people here are so cold, and Colombians receive you with a great smile and happiness. I mean Im not saying I don't see that here I'm just saying it because yes sometimes we do miss our country and it is normal. Moreover he said he was always the last thing for his wife, the worst thing that he did it was that he declared that based on that every Colombian woman was like that, and I'm here thinking we are not perfect but we take care of our man how no one else could, I mean most of the married women I have seen there, they dedicate themselves to their families even more to their husband. Okay in conclusion I just want to say that please don't base your judging in just one experience just like I'm not gonna based Americans from being arrogants from one experience because I have seen a lot of bad people in USA as good peopke , so I think that depends on how you were raised. And also Colombia is not only drugs or prostitutes. It is more than that beautiful beaches, beautiful people, beautiful mountains and yes it has every kind of beauty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 11:36 PM

16,284 posts, read 42,968,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombian123 View Post
So I was talking to my best friend and we were thinking what Americans think of Colombian women and I decided to google it and I found something really sad. A guy said that Colombians are really nice but the women use you whether they love you or not, and I started thinking I am a Colombian born and raised woman in her twenties and I have never dated an American because of what he can give me. I have lived here for six years now and me personally, I don't think like that, for me you have to work for what you want and not tale advantage of anyone else. Also he commented that his wife wanted always to be in Colombia and she would always complain about USA, as a foreign I love USA nothing has been free here I have worked for everything that I have,but the only reason I have ever complained is because people here are so cold, and Colombians receive you with a great smile and happiness. I mean Im not saying I don't see that here I'm just saying it because yes sometimes we do miss our country and it is normal. Moreover he said he was always the last thing for his wife, the worst thing that he did it was that he declared that based on that every Colombian woman was like that, and I'm here thinking we are not perfect but we take care of our man how no one else could, I mean most of the married women I have seen there, they dedicate themselves to their families even more to their husband. Okay in conclusion I just want to say that please don't base your judging in just one experience just like I'm not gonna based Americans from being arrogants from one experience because I have seen a lot of bad people in USA as good peopke , so I think that depends on how you were raised. And also Colombia is not only drugs or prostitutes. It is more than that beautiful beaches, beautiful people, beautiful mountains and yes it has every kind of beauty.
Well, I think your average American person probably knows VERY little about Colombian women.

The somewhat aware American who is interested in the topic of foreign women, will hold Colombian women in very high esteem. They are well-known, among those interested in such things, to have very beautiful women who are also known to have passionate personalities, on and on.

However, with this, has created an underground industry of two types. One is 'marriage agencies,' where foreign men and Colombian women are arranged to meet each other with the potential of marriage. Of course, this opens itself up to a whole huge can of worms. It attracts the kind of Colombian women that are looking for something very superficial with an image more in their minds than a reality, and it attracts western foreigners from throughout the US and Europe with an equal superficial image in their head, not completely grounded in reality. That in itself, is a huge root of misunderstanding.

On top of that, Colombia, again because it's known to have beautiful women, and 'marriage agencies' means there is a market there for foreign men to meet Colombian women...which means the do-it-yourself 'sex tourists' who really have no other purpose whatsoever in mind, then to solely travel with the main interest of having as much sex as possible. Which, creates a market for the type of woman who tries to meet that demand.

In short, you develop a little niche of a very CERTAIN kind of Colombian woman going to all of these social functions with monetary things in mind, and a very CERTAIN kind of American/European man going to all of these functions with sex on the mind. Hence.....

So, what you are reading about Americans images of Colombian women, is from a VERY SMALL NICHE of interaction in a very specific WAY. It's in no way typical of how "Americans, in general" view Colombian women. Your average American probably has very very very little awareness of Colombian women whatsoever, with perhaps a few somewhat associating the fact that Shakira might be from there.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:31 AM

150 posts, read 172,836 times
I have worked with Colombian and other Latin American physicians.

I like them, unlike Americans they are cultured and friendly. However, I don't really like to speak Spanish.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:51 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,005,358 times
colombian women are beautiful and only certain non-colombian men can handle dating them, or being married to one. there is a lot i could say since my ex wife and ex gf are colombians from both ends of the spectrum (grad school educated americanized latina v. paisana). i like em home grown frankly, but that's me and the next honey could change me mind about that too.

don't worry about your image babe, sophia vergara has pretty much broke opened the doors for guys wanting to date colombian women. i don't know what it is about BAQ, but shakira, vergara and my ex sure says something about those costanas (with grammatical tilde).

Old 08-30-2014, 10:29 PM

15,072 posts, read 6,106,184 times
I have one Colombian friend from Bogota, and she is a sweet person and great friend. Her husband is American and loves her to pieces.

According to my hubby who is of Colombian descent, he feels like the ones who have been in the U.S. for awhile or who are born to Colombian parents may be the ones fitting the description given. He said that they tend to be very stuck up due to being very attractive so that they may use people would not surprise him. But that being said, that's not everyone. And my experience with his family has been as you described...full of warmth and love.

Anyway, hoping to visit your beautiful country soon!

Old 08-31-2014, 03:21 PM

3,428 posts, read 6,285,889 times
I am Brazilian-American, I have lived here in the USA for a long time and as much as I think some Colombian women may be attractive, they are big drama queens, possessive and jealous.

I could never have a relationship with someone like that because life is too short to be a daily episode of a telenovela. Too much drama.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:26 AM

3,637 posts, read 4,769,766 times
That's just a particular individual who got a bad deal

I have no problems with Colombians and actually there are many successful ones here in the USA

Now I could be a bit biased because I met a Colombian girl in Costa Rica about 12 years ago and we have been married for almost 7 years. She has been a full time US resident for 5 of those years. We're planning on a trip there this winter. I have only been once but want to go back.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:46 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,229,440 times
Well...

My best friend is north american and is married to a Colombian a "paisa-antioqeña" <<---I think this is how the Colombians say it ....from Medellin.

They left because of the extreme violence, but, they've been in the states for over 20 years and his wife travels twice a year to Colombia and constantly howls about how much she misses it. Even though more than 50% of their neighbors have been killed in drive-byes, stabbings, assaults, robberies and shoot-outs, she still misses it and can't wait to get back..

And she hates living in the US. However my buddy said that until their youngest son is 18 years old, he is forbidden to travel to Colombia alone.

Even so, american men, especially young american and european men, let's be frank - They're horny and naive and latinas are beautiful. However many ( not all ) latinas know this and WILL exploit this, not all but many. Especially the ones from the poorer families or lower social classes, so you do have to be careful, sometimes it's hard to know their true intentions, especially if a serious language barrier exists.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:26 PM

9,980 posts, read 12,322,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomman View Post
I have worked with Colombian and other Latin American physicians.

I like them, unlike Americans they are cultured and friendly. However, I don't really like to speak Spanish.
What makes someone cultures? Why don't you like to speak Spanish? Is the language infective? Hmm so many questions...

Old 09-03-2014, 03:16 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,158,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombian123 View Post
It's because your friend looks for a certain type of woman.

I'm married to a Colombian born woman. There are many great Colombian women. They are known to be very caring doting mothers and can be very good wives. Of course you will find sleazy women in pretty much every country. I will say that from my experiences over there, women's rights are still a tad wee behind there and what I mean by that is many women aren't necessarily independent minded or career oriented. This is also reinforced by a society which is still very macho oriented. Most Colombian women aren't particularly ambitious and most women seem to plan their life around starting a family and their husband/partner so as a result they are often subjugated to an inferior role. A woman who is on the extremely good looking end of the spectrum in Colombia will often get pushed in a certain direction even if she doesn't necessarily want to go in that direction.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 09-03-2014 at 03:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas