U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2014, 12:58 PM

660 posts, read 811,297 times

Advertisements

After growing up in Southeastern Pennsylvania, living in Seattle for 13 years, and in Buffalo, NY for the last 7, I'm looking for warmer temperatures and some adventure!

I've traveled extensively (all throughout the US and Canada, as well as Mexico, Europe, and Asia), and I love having new cultural experiences.

So, I'm contemplating relocating internationally for a few years, and have read many good things about Panama. A Seattle-based friend of mine also spends Summers there and has raved about the scenery, people, food and cost of living. My internet research has also revealed that it's a great place for ex-pats, especially those seeking warmth and affordability (compared to U.S. standards)

So, I'm looking for input from others.

Note that my income is portable; I teach online (I'm a professor with a PhD), as well as do some writing and editing work. What kind of lifestyle would be a possibility on $2500-$3000 a month?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 05:30 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,731,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
After growing up in Southeastern Pennsylvania, living in Seattle for 13 years, and in Buffalo, NY for the last 7, I'm looking for warmer temperatures and some adventure!

I've traveled extensively (all throughout the US and Canada, as well as Mexico, Europe, and Asia), and I love having new cultural experiences.

So, I'm contemplating relocating internationally for a few years, and have read many good things about Panama. A Seattle-based friend of mine also spends Summers there and has raved about the scenery, people, food and cost of living. My internet research has also revealed that it's a great place for ex-pats, especially those seeking warmth and affordability (compared to U.S. standards)

So, I'm looking for input from others.

Note that my income is portable; I teach online (I'm a professor with a PhD), as well as do some writing and editing work. What kind of lifestyle would be a possibility on $2500-$3000 a month?

Thanks for your help!
You'd be a VERY wealthy man in alot of south and central america living on that kind of income LOL!

Old 11-10-2014, 09:11 AM

18,548 posts, read 9,586,076 times
Many things are cheaper such as food, medical care, going out for drinks, and any type of personal service. How much are you willing to stand when it comes to 3rd world stuff like smells, sanitation, quality of housing, safety, etc. That matters when you go to live in 3rd worldish nations.

I'm working right now in Arequipa, Peru and it is definitely cheaper to live there than anywhere in the USA but goods like electronics, cars, etc. are at least as expensive if not more. I'm working for a USA based Engineering consulting company so they are paying me more than what I would make in the USA so I can live extravagantly if I choose or just save. I think the average person in Arequipa makes about $1000K/mo so you would be well above average with that income. I think overall cost of living is 30-40% less where I am than a low cost USA location....Panama from what I understand is a little more expensive but a bit less than the USA.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:17 AM

660 posts, read 811,297 times
Default Perspective

Good questions! Thanks for the perspective.

I'm fairly open to "conditions" -- I'm not naive, and have traveled a fair amount. That said, safety and cleanliness are factors for me.

I'd likely not settle somewhere very rural, but in a larger metro-area or a beach town like Coronado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Many things are cheaper such as food, medical care, going out for drinks, and any type of personal service. How much are you willing to stand when it comes to 3rd world stuff like smells, sanitation, quality of housing, safety, etc. That matters when you go to live in 3rd worldish nations.

I'm working right now in Arequipa, Peru and it is definitely cheaper to live there than anywhere in the USA but goods like electronics, cars, etc. are at least as expensive if not more. I'm working for a USA based Engineering consulting company so they are paying me more than what I would make in the USA so I can live extravagantly if I choose or just save. I think the average person in Arequipa makes about $1000K/mo so you would be well above average with that income. I think overall cost of living is 30-40% less where I am than a low cost USA location....Panama from what I understand is a little more expensive but a bit less than the USA.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:13 PM

422 posts, read 346,292 times
Do it, you wont regret it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas